Quantcast

2015 Rockshox Boxxer

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Well, the desirability of a used boxxer just went up... Pick up an old chassis, drop the new damper in there, service the fork. Boom, great fork for cheap(ish). I want a DH fork that works like my Pike.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
April fools day rollout is a fail. Hope this is a actually real... NSMB tricked me with the 12" boxxer on April fools day and I will never forgive them!

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
What has changed in solo air? Is there still an elastomer in the negative chamber? If it is screw RS.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I am not sure whether I understand info about SoloAir upgrade correctly...?
I could only upgrade certain WC forks but have Team converted to WC I would need 2 separate sets - air spring + cap and mentioned upgrade?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Am I the only one that feels like filching the pictures from Pinkbike and posting them here as a World Exclusive is pretty lame and shady?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Am I the only one that feels like filching the pictures from Pinkbike and posting them here as a World Exclusive is pretty lame and shady?
That just means someone doesn't understand what "Exclusive" means.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, the desirability of a used boxxer just went up... Pick up an old chassis, drop the new damper in there, service the fork. Boom, great fork for cheap(ish). I want a DH fork that works like my Pike.
i'm gonna agree 100% on this.

i'm normally quick to knock stuff that sram does, but hats off to them on this. the reverse compatibility is huge. and it demonstrates a much better understanding of their market than i expected.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
the reverse compatibility is huge. and it demonstrates a much better understanding of their market than i expected.
That's the April 1 joke....

I just sold my '10 Boxxer for cheap. Mainly because I got tired of trying to tune out the spiking problem.
The chassis still sucked though. Having to use a BFH to put the top crown on was a joke.

That's the April 1 joke....

I just sold my '10 Boxxer for cheap. Mainly because I got tired of trying to tune out the spiking problem.
The chassis still sucked though. Having to use a BFH to put the top crown on was a joke.
maybe your steerer was flared when it was cut or when the starnut was installed. i've never needed a hammer put the top crown on...

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Shady ? Not reall. As I mentioned they were there for the world to see I just happen be one of the first to see them and show people. Maybe Pinkbike could learn to upload there pics with the story and not have images sitting on there site for hours and even days before stuff gets posted.

Lame ? That depends maybe maybe not, it got people looking at the thread didn't it and your one of them ? The sad lame thing is that this post will go like most ridemonkey posts go and it not actually being about the product due to people like you and then the sheep follow.

Heres another none exclusive link for you to have a whinge about
http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Forks,33/RockShox/BoXXer-World-Cup-Fork-with-Charger-Damper,14345#product-reviews/1705

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Props to rock shox for days on this offering retro fit kits for older products, they have really transformed me from a 'fox only' guy to pretty much a rock shox only guy (the pike had a lot to do with that). Someone in marketing should get promoted.

The big question for me is what to do with my 2012 team fork, throw a charger in it or get a new 27.5 fork. The writing is on the wall about 26" DH bikes in the future...I would love to just put a charger in my team and call it a day but would also like to unload my 26" inventory by the end of the season in preparation for a wheelsize revolution.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i'm gonna agree 100% on this.

i'm normally quick to knock stuff that sram does, but hats off to them on this. the reverse compatibility is huge. and it demonstrates a much better understanding of their market than i expected.
exactly well said, and well executed on their part.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Props to rock shox for days on this offering retro fit kits for older products, they have really transformed me from a 'fox only' guy to pretty much a rock shox only guy (the pike had a lot to do with that). Someone in marketing should get promoted.

The big question for me is what to do with my 2012 team fork, throw a charger in it or get a new 27.5 fork. The writing is on the wall about 26" DH bikes in the future...I would love to just put a charger in my team and call it a day but would also like to unload my 26" inventory by the end of the season in preparation for a wheelsize revolution.
I think you can buy the lowers separately too. So you could go incrementally as funds allow : damper first, air spring second, 650b lowers third.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Sounds like they really came up with some good options. I wonder if the Fox 40 will be similar in terms of swapping out the lowers only to fit 650b. I highly doubt the new Marzo 380 lowers will fit the 888 chassis.

Btw... I don't suppose a 224lbs hack rider would be too heavy for a boxxer eh?

Last edited:

dylan s

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
Mad props to rockshox for standing by current boxxer owners and making it retrofittable to previous models. Hopefully the dampers are easy to get a hold of and readily available. Its also good to see a relationship oriented marketing approach being used by rockshox, i've never understood why we haven't seen more of this in the bike industry. Every couple of years most high end customer usually update there current rides and by achieving good customer loyalty you have a continuous relationship with the customer, which is cheaper to maintain than marketing to new customers.

Heres also hoping that stock tune is a good one. I for one have no problems with loosing external adjustably as i never bothered with ending stroke rebound other than on initial set up. High speed on the other hand though i often adjusted depending on the track and how i was riding on the day, but i could live without it. I'm down to give a charger damper a go

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Heres also hoping that stock tune is a good one. I for one have no problems with loosing external adjustably as i never bothered with ending stroke rebound other than on initial set up. High speed on the other hand though i often adjusted depending on the track and how i was riding on the day, but i could live without it. I'm down to give a charger damper a go
it sounds like they at least put some testing and thought into the decision. i'd say it doesn't rule out the possibility of it being added in future iterations (once it's out in the wild). at least they are including extra shims for tuning these aspects out of the box.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think it's great that there's backwards compatibility.

I'd be nervous about the tune. With no external high speed compression, you better hope it's great out of the box, or you'll have to crack it open. I couldn't care less about losing a rebound dial, as mine rarely did anything.

Which makes it a tough decision for an older boxxer owner. It's about $50 more for an avalanche cart, which will be custom tuned to your weight and riding style...but the charger is theoretically a better damper.

Still, my problem with the boxxer really wasn't related to the damping or spring, but rather the QC and construction of the fork. Sticky travel, frequent rebuilds, misaligned lowers, adjusters that didn't adjust...that was no fault of the damper.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Does anyone know if this charger damper will fit in a Avy fork?
Looks small enough that you could take out the damper in the avalanche and just drop this in. The legs on the avy are bigger than the ones on the Rockshox, so I'm sure it would fit. Might rattle around a bit though.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Looks small enough that you could take out the damper in the avalanche and just drop this in. The legs on the avy are bigger than the ones on the Rockshox, so I'm sure it would fit. Might rattle around a bit though.
Some plumbers tape might be enough to take up any extra space.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I think Sven has more experience, and credibility to give a proper review then any of you. Don't forget. He was once as good at riding bikes as he now is at takin photos. And I know he said he had owned boxers for the past 10 years he also said he has ridden just about every top riders bike

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
that guy might not have been so impressed if he hadn't been riding boxxers for the last ten years...
I put a lot more credibility in what Sven has to say concerning pretty much anything biking then anybody else on this forum - he's no an industry shill, he's a pretty fast rider according to vital, and he's ridden many of the top pro's bikes and talked extensively about suspension and setup to even more of them. Dude is about as much the real deal when it comes to this as it gets.