Quantcast

2016 Bronson v 5010

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
That time of the year where I'm selling my old trail bike (2012 Transition Bandit) and looking to move into something new. I live in Denver so mostly ride the front range which means lots of climbing then some good long descents, nothing super technical. The tricky part is this bike needs to be able to go out on 30mi trail rides and even pull some duty on a few shuttle days. I have a DH bike but for things like 'The Whole Enchilada' I definitely want a capable 5-6" bike. My fear w/ the Bronson is it being a 6" bike, and it feeling sluggish especially on the way up. I've only had a few instances where I felt like the Bandit wasn't enough bike so part of me thinks with a beefier fork (Fox 34 or 36) I'd be pretty happy with that setup....If anyone owns either please let me know!!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I just rode a scout and my 5010c (2015) side by side this weekend with a buddy of mine. Both bikes were great. It was hard for me to put my finger on the exact differences between the two. At the end of the day we both agreed the 5010 seems to have a very slight efficiency advantage, though the scout seemed to have better traction while standing and climbing. The scout didn't seem to settle in and absorb small bumps as well.

I know you're not comparing those two specific bikes, but thought I'd at least point out that we found both bikes to be overall extremely close in nearly all aspects.

I agonized between the 5010 and bronson for some time before settling on the 5010. I live in Michigan, so the 5010 is better for my local riding, and only slightly not as good for some of the descents.

The 5010 never let me down. I never rode it at a bike park, but I did ride it on some trails that many shuttle their downhill bikes on at some different places. The only time I longed for my Downhill bike was on huck to flats and jump lines (I'm a terrible jumper and feel much more confident on that type of trail on my DH bike, i'm riding a new 650bonerz v-10). The 5010 handled the jumps just fine, it was more a lack of skill on my part.

In chunky rocky rooty dh type situations the bike is very capable. I felt that the pike at 130mm was pretty good, I have added some of the bottomless tokens to get some more ramp up and do bottom occasionally, but I only recall a few harsh bottom outs. The rear seems to be well composed and doesn't have any glaring weaknesses for my riding style. It doesn't seem to "pop" quite as well as the scout did, but my friend and I spent very minimal time in tuning the suspension before the ride we went on and differ by about 20 lbs. That said, I've never had a problem hopping over roots and rocks, using roots and rocks to gap over something, etc. The bike is plenty playful and allows me to do those kinds of things. It's also saved me a time or two from a crash after making a big mistake.

I hope that helps?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You can't really go wrong either way, and whichever way you go, there will probably be days - or at least sections of trail - where you wish to got the other bike.

This is a classic conundrum. Seems like there are generally two approaches here: Get the bike most capable for the burliest stuff you ever ride and suffer slightly on the climbs, or get the bike better suited to the riding you do most of the time and risk being under-gunned on those burly days. What's more important to you?

The new bronson is a really capable bike - pretty amazing in terms of the sorts of gnar it can level out. It's also not much heavier than the 5010 and plenty efficient as a climber. But it's relatively long and slack and can be a handful on tight technical climbs with switchbacks, etc. (I've never ridden the Front Range so I can't really say how it would go out there.) The new 5010 also punches above its weight class but as you might expect you'll need a bit more attention to line choice in the chunkier stuff.

Or just get a 5010 and a Nomad and be done with it!

BTW, it's pretty cool that there so many good bikes out there now that this is a hard decision. First World problems, eh?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
How about something in between like the Turner Burner? I ride a Mojo HDR that's set up 130 rear / 150 front, and while it is pretty good at everything (I just did a 50 mile endurance race with 8900 of climbing on it), there are moments I wish it had moar travel in the rear, esp. when hucking to flat or when going through rough chunk.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
These are definite first world problems and I'm happy that these are the choices I'm between. Sticking with s.c cause it's what my shop carries and I really want to support them... And I'm getting a sweet deal. I think the 5010 is probably for me, I'm pretty light at 150lb so a big burly bike may be too much. I'm also thinking the switch from qr on my current bike to a through axle will add major stiffness that will help offset the lack of travel

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
These are definite first world problems and I'm happy that these are the choices I'm between. Sticking with s.c cause it's what my shop carries and I really want to support them... And I'm getting a sweet deal. I think the 5010 is probably for me, I'm pretty light at 150lb so a big burly bike may be too much. I'm also thinking the switch from qr on my current bike to a through axle will add major stiffness that will help offset the lack of travel
this years 5010 adds a better seat angle, 5mm more travel, and a slightly slacker head angle. For me that leans me even more into the 5010 than the bronson. Again, really will depend on your trails and riding style.

I think for a lighter rider in the case of this bike or that bike, I'd always opt for the smaller bike.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
I went with the 5010 and a 150mm Fox 34. The last thing I need to figure out are wheels since apparently no one does 148...