Quantcast

2016 Specialized Enduro series reveal Ohlins air shock

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Forgive me, but I speak Freedom. Can you translate that?

Kidding.
Funny how a few years ago the freeride bike market was dead in the water, and how a 160mm 66° bike was unsellable. Thank Zeus for endurbro! and fantastic plastic.

I wish I still had my old RFX some days.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
i seen a 2016 on Sunday at a local race , one of the shop owners had it , not sure what model it was orange in color and had the new design frame with the stash compartment under the water bottle mount . neat design but my concern is the durability of the latching system and how well it will work 6mths down the road after pounding trails with a full water bottle .

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
all new bong shed in a convenient travel size that you can take with you.

why all the monkies arent running out to buy them all up is beyond me.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Nothing to do with Öhlins, but this admittedly expensive piece of aluminum will let you run a standard shock on your Enduro. So far it's available for all Enduros from 2010 on; they also have one for the 13/14 Evo that will slacken the HA by 0.6°and bring down the BB by 8mm.

http://bikeyoke.mysimplestore.com/

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
10 years ago, I had a 2005 Enduro Expert. Milford Bike works with a guy that does custom fab. He made me this very part so i could run a coil 5th element.

Can't seem to find any pictures, but I likely have some at home.

If you are looking for one, check with Jeff or Dane at Milford bike next time your at 'Nam.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Agree they should have done it this way in the first place, but not necessarily just because of "proprietariness"; rather, it could eliminate a point of side loading on the shock shaft that has actually caused the stock yoke attachment to break off the end of the shaft in some cases. Discussed ad nausem over here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/run-any-shock-your-enduro-1002433.html

they also have one for the 13/14 Evo that will slacken the HA by 0.6°and bring down the BB by 8mm.
Not that you would want to do that with the Evo... I think that it's just that they don't have the 13/14 Evo one available yet, and that's what you get if you use one of the regular ones on an Evo. It says one specific for 13/14 Evo is coming soon.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I think they designed the frame so the shock would act as a strut and contribute some small amount of stiffness to the rear end. Silly, if you ask me. Plus more proprietary bullshit that everyone else has to deal with.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I think they designed the frame so the shock would act as a strut and contribute some small amount of stiffness to the rear end.
I don't think so, because when the Ohlins shock became available for it one of the big deals was that it had a spherical bearing in the front shock mount, supposedly making it so that it wasn't a load bearing member when the rear end was side loaded. In other words, removing it from any part of making the rear end stiffer, and freeing it up to do its only job which is suspension. Problem is, that yoke design still causes some side load at the point where it is joined to the end of the shaft. Here's what I posted about this in that other thread linked to in my previous post:
Actually, the suspension *should* be removed from the lateral rigidity equation. If it is having to support stress from side load, it is less free to do its job. This is why the Ohlins TTX has a sperical bearing in the front mount where it attaches to the frame. However, even that doesn’t solve the problem with the original design, which is that any side loading at the seatstays places a slight twisting stress on the yoke attachment to the shock shaft. This is why you see many people complaining about the yoke mount actually breaking off the shock shaft (it was a big problem for Demos, somewhat of an issue for Enduro Evo with coil shock, and likely less of an issue for regular Enduro with an air shock since the air shock shaft has a much larger diameter). I know, I’m riding an Enduro Evo with this design and just recently had to send in my TTX for this very issue.
Guess what, just this past weekend that damn yoke mount at the end of the shaft started to loosen up again, so it's going back to Specialized again for a fix. Fortunately I have a backup shock, but goddamn! This is the main reason why I wish I could replace the yoke mount with a regular DU bushing end and use this new yoke. I understand the argument about "proprietary bullshit" but in this case, there is no other shock that I would rather run, that Ohlins kicks ass. I just hate having the yoke mount come off!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I don't think so, because when the Ohlins shock became available for it one of the big deals was that it had a spherical bearing in the front shock mount, supposedly making it so that it wasn't a load bearing member when the rear end was side loaded.!
Didn't know that part.

I'm not defending it, or saying it's in any way a good idea. I have just heard from numerous reputable sources that it was a design objective to slightly add to the rear end stiffness. In fact, I think it's a fucking horrible idea.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Slightly OT but FWIW - the 1st gen CCDB on my old Knolly Delirium-T had spherical bearings.
When I got the newer Delirium, I had to have the bearings changed to the ubiquitous bushings.
I preferred the bearings.