Quantcast

2016 US Household Total Net Worth (by Age and Percentile)

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
lol. I just realized that 10% of my net worth is made up of Lego.
on the other hand... I also realized that 15% of my net worth comes from an internet business based on Lego.

Another 10% of my net worth is tied to hobbies. A high end sports car and a couple of bicycles which could seem extravagant expenses at first sight. Funnily enough, said expenses were instrumental to build another 30% of my net worth.

moral of the story. follow your interests. money will follow.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Does not compute? :confused:
Let's just say that I've been pretty good about saving and investing over the years. Even WITH kids. Their inheritance, however, is going to suffer, 'cause I'm gonna spend every last goddam penny.

minivans are so awesome the last time i drove one i rolled it into a ditch.
I think this may say more about your driving acumen then anything about minivans. :busted:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Incorrect. Not having kids is the key.
Quote for those who don't know:

"It's cheaper to keep her."

x2 has had a major impact on both my income potential and my actual income. Waiting for my ex to join the workforce before repaying my student loans was almost as bad a decision as the marriage itself (it didn't happen).

I have made the choice to not deprive myself of everything for the sake of debt, but as life happens and kids get older, the cost of living also decreases.

If we can get the man child out of the house, we will sell and downsize. The Corvette has 4 more payments and I am due for a raise this month.

So while I am not even on the chart at this point, I'm not ready to off myself just yet. :rofl:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Quote for those who don't know:

"It's cheaper to keep her."

x2 has had a major impact on both my income potential and my actual income. Waiting for my ex to join the workforce before repaying my student loans was almost as bad a decision as the marriage itself (it didn't happen).

I have made the choice to not deprive myself of everything for the sake of debt, but as life happens and kids get older, the cost of living also decreases.

If we can get the man child out of the house, we will sell and downsize. The Corvette has 4 more payments and I am due for a raise this month.

So while I am not even on the chart at this point, I'm not ready to off myself just yet. :rofl:
Congratulations on the raise and Corvette almost being paid off! Now open an account and save every penny of it. Don't make me call Jen. :eek:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Part of me wants to, but I know it's just gonna be pages of near syadasti level complaining about problems he created himself
Leasing a Volvo should have been the lowest stress, trouble free option. But no.

(Cliffs Notes is that this is entirely on the dealer being incompetent, as it's regarding paperwork that they submit directly to the CO DMV.)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Leasing a Volvo should have been the lowest stress, trouble free option. But no.

(Cliffs Notes is that this is entirely on the dealer being incompetent, as it's regarding paperwork that they submit directly to the CO DMV.)
Problem #1 - being so impatient for a new car that you traveled to a different time zone for it.

Problem #2 - traveling to another time zone to lease a car.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Problem #1 - being so impatient for a new car that you traveled to a different time zone for it.

Problem #2 - traveling to another time zone to lease a car.
Leasing is no different financially than buying new and selling at the end of the equivalent term, provided the lease is structured fairly. (And mine is, 62% residual at 36 months and an interest rate equivalent of something like 0.2%.)

I jumped on the IL vehicle because I had two days randomly where I could drive it back. Seemed like fun. Turned out the drive back was super boring and the paperwork has been an ongoing disaster, but at least the latter couldn't have been foreseen...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Leasing is no different financially than buying new and selling at the end of the equivalent term, provided the lease is structured fairly. (And mine is, 62% residual at 36 months and an interest rate equivalent of something like 0.2%.)

I jumped on the IL vehicle because I had two days randomly where I could drive it back. Seemed like fun. Turned out the drive back was super boring and the paperwork has been an ongoing disaster, but at least the latter couldn't have been foreseen...
:blah:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
This thread was at first mildly depressing. Until you high net worth, fancy car driving, motherfuckers came on here whingeing and crying. I may not have much net worth compared to the ///Monocle crowd but I have bikes and no kids so I actually have time to ride them. Whose making bad decisions now?
:banana:

Perhaps quality of life > net worth?

PS my girl wants kids, as most do (fuck you biology), so I'm on the countdown timer to the point when I can no longer delay the inevitable. I think I should get a secret vasectomy and when we can't have kids just tell her "The doctor says I'm fine. It must be you".

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
PS my girl wants kids, as most do (fuck you biology), so I'm on the countdown timer to the point when I can no longer delay the inevitable. I think I should get a secret vasectomy and when we can't have kids just tell her "The doctor says I'm fine. It must be you".
yeah, thats a pretty good decision.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
This thread was at first mildly depressing. Until you high net worth, fancy car driving, motherfuckers came on here whingeing and crying. I may not have much net worth compared to the ///Monocle crowd but I have bikes and no kids so I actually have time to ride them. Whose making bad decisions now?

:popcorn:

incorrect.....not keeping up with the jonses.
This is actually spot on.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

You think you've got it figured out, but I've got 2 kids that are part of the future of mountain biking.

Bad premise... honesty works better...

I just coasted along, saving money since pre-puberty days, stayed away from purchases on credit. I have been astounded since retiring to discover what my financial picture actually is (as for all of us, for the moment...).

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just to resurrect for fun. According to Bloomberg, nobody here is rich (except maybe JBP, just because when money has compounded that long...). Millennials think they will get rich and in a relatively quick time frame. Gen-X'ers are somewhat pessimistic. And Boomers have just acknowledged futility at this point.

There is a very large gap between plans/hopes and reality for the younger end of the age scale. That's kinda scary when you think about the fact that our safety nets are being ripped out by the Boomers.

How Much Money Do You Need to Be Wealthy in America? https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-13/how-much-money-do-you-need-to-be-wealthy-in-america

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Just to resurrect for fun. According to Bloomberg, nobody here is rich (except maybe JBP, just because when money has compounded that long...). Millennials think they will get rich and in a relatively quick time frame. Gen-X'ers are somewhat pessimistic. And Boomers have just acknowledged futility at this point.

There is a very large gap between plans/hopes and reality for the younger end of the age scale. That's kinda scary when you think about the fact that our safety nets are being ripped out by the Boomers.

How Much Money Do You Need to Be Wealthy in America? https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-13/how-much-money-do-you-need-to-be-wealthy-in-america
I have a binary criteria for wealth.

Either you have to actual work/punch a clock/do the 9-5 to make a living (doesnt matter what your salary/position is, store clerk, doctor, C-level all have to sell their time for food/shelter); or you dont.
"Wealthy" are only those of the 2nd kind.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I have a binary criteria for wealth.

Either you have to actual work/punch a clock/do the 9-5 to make a living (doesnt matter what your salary/position is, store clerk, doctor, C-level all have to sell their time for food/shelter); or you dont.
"Wealthy" are only those of the 2nd kind.
I happen to believe it's fairly binary myself, though I've heard it as you either
a: Punch the clock to make money
or;
b: You have people punch the clock to make money for you.