Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
nice. new chain?

what do you think that thing is worth? ... bah, never mind ....
Yeah new blinged out chain cause why not.

I really don't know what else to do with her..I really enjoy everything on the bike ( even the Boxxer WC (inb4 ridemonkey implodes))
Me and a couple mates are planning a Whistler trip and I plan on bringing her.

#straightEdge
#sayNoToBoost

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Picked up an 8.5x2.5 DHX2 for running it in mini-DH mode with the RV1 set to 180mm. I have 3 setups for it now - 180F/170R full coil w/dual crown running in slack mode for climb-able mini-DH mode, 180F/170R full air running in steep mode for long pedaling rides, and full coil 200F/185R long shocked w/offset bushing and -1.5 angleset for lift served days. I love this bike; grins for days every time I ride it. I just need to add a 9-46 so I don't have to swap the drivetrain for lift days.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Picked up an 8.5x2.5 DHX2 for running it in mini-DH mode with the RV1 set to 180mm. I have 3 setups for it now - 180F/170R full coil w/dual crown running in slack mode for climb-able mini-DH mode, 180F/170R full air running in steep mode for long pedaling rides, and full coil 200F/185R long shocked w/offset bushing and -1.5 angleset for lift served days. I love this bike; grins for days every time I ride it. I just need to add a 9-46 so I don't have to swap the drivetrain for lift days.

Not sure what drivetrain you're running now but I am quite happy with the e13 9-42 10sp cassette on my Riot.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Finally upgraded my wheels and cranks threw a Huck Norris dh in the rear to protect my preciouses. Decided to keep the Slash for another season since I don’t get the chance to ride as often as I once did. Grown up problems I guess. Put a super fancy KMC DLC X11SL chain on also, because I’m ridiculous.

-edit- having technical issmues. How does one attach photos these days??

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Fuck, I love bikes...even ones with nigh unrideabru suspension bits... keep'em coming.

And because @spocomptonrider is a fellow croc rocker, I will offer pic assit:

- copy pic address
- click on picture box in the RM post tool bar
- paste pic address
- profit

Nice murdered out bike btw (Trek?)

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
spocomptonrider : Finally upgraded my wheels and cranks threw a Huck Norris dh in the rear to protect my preciouses. Decided to keep the Slash for another season since I don’t get the chance to ride as often as I once did. Grown up problems I guess. Put a super fancy KMC DLC X11SL chain on also, because I’m ridiculous.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Fuck, I love bikes...even ones with nigh unrideabru suspension bits... keep'em coming.

And because @spocomptonrider is a fellow croc rocker, I will offer pic assit:

- copy pic address
- click on picture box in the RM post tool bar
- paste pic address
- profit

Nice murdered out bike btw (Trek?)
Thanks for the tech support jabroni. I remember when tech support was still made in ‘Murcia. Wait what were we talking about? Oh yeah issa Trek. I’ve turned full corporate tool in my old age.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
swapped out the 42t cog on my 11-sp XO cassette last night. Replaced it with a 42t Wolftooth.

That one cog was only slight less expensive than a full new SunRace cassette. But the steel dome thing on the XOs is pretty rad, I have to say. weight and wear are very low. I've had that cassette for half a season now, and the previous owner had it for 2. If I can get 3 to 3.5 seasons out of the cassette, I'd say it works out well in terms value for $, considering I'd change my Shimano cassettes (XT) every 1 to 1.5 seasons. And who knows, if I keep an eye on chain wear, maybe I'll be able to get 4 seasons out of it... :eek:

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
received_10155781318980892.jpeg
Back to my old phone, so better pics. Allegedly.

Anyway, just replaced my old 9 speed Saint drive train with XT 10 speed. Took the chainguide off too, so we'll see how that goes, but so far.... cleaner, smoother and silenter.

Huzzah for USEFUL new technology!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Still have cranks, Tune Wunderbar and CushCore to come, oh and I'm going back to Shimano, Sram mechs still suck. Have to work out how to do a LH shifter for 10 speed as my right thumb is fucked again, yay!

IMGP6018 (2).JPG

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Put some MT7 Danny Macs on my bike.
Yes, I was warned against them on here (repeatedly), but they look So. Damn. Good. I have no other excuse. I guess I'll be posting in the frankenbrake thread for help on how to put Shimano levers on them when I wreck them in my first crash!

Also put a bar with more rise on it, a seat I got for free that looks like it'll chafe less than the WTB Silverado I had on it before, and I put a set of Supergravity Magic Marys on it. Vertstar in front, Trailstar in the back. Got them for a price I couldn't turn down. Suspension is also freshly rebuilt front and back, so if the snow could kindly fuck off I'd finally be able to ride again.

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
new dropper. after 12 years with the OG gravity dropper i decided it was time to move on up. grabbed a KS E-30i for cheap and bumped up to 100mm drop (woot). converted an old X0 front shifter for the lever. good times.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Nice bike Jackalope. I like the saint crankset. I just put saints on my new megatrail. It looks like you are using them with the chainring installed inboard, as is normal. I had to put mine on the outboard side of the mounting tabs for clearance. I'm using the 73 mm bb style. Chain line is about 1/8" off, but I'm using a xt mech with wolftooth cage and goat link. Shifting, back pedaling, etc. did not manifest as problems. Are you using 83 mm saints with spacers? Seems like the chainline would be just about perfect that way. (assuming the older megatrails are 148 rears offset 3mm like the current batch)

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Yeah, I'm loving the new Saints, as I feel like they're 10,000% stiffer than my 1st gen Next SL cranks - but perhaps more importantly, they don't have that infernal chain ring creak that seems to plague some of the RF cinch models. Mine are 73mm and I'm using the typical one 2.5 mm spacer set up, and the chainline seems to be fine. My MT has a 142mm rear, and I'm running a 10 speed with a wide range Sunrace cassette/boat anchor for what its worth.

Another benefit of the Saints is that my bike is now devoid of magic space plastics, and is comprised of only 100% UV resistant, earth desecrating bauxite. :thumb:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
where would one purchase a frame such as that
It's a custom frame from Marino in Peru, it was extremely cheap and in some places it shows but it is far better than the overpriced German piece of shit I had before it. It has cables underneath and the front triangle is as large as I could get it without making standover crazy high as I want to be able to throw a bike bag in it for overnight trips. If I did it again I'd either go for 10mm more reach or a 75deg STA and a slightly higher bb, seems I measured my tyres wrong, BB height is 310 with the fork at 120mm.

The bike looks pretty small but on the trail it is quite a large thing, doesn't pump like my old bike and the front takes some effort to lift on climbs but for an AM bike it seems very capable, l am yet to give it a proper ride as I can't hold the bar all that well at the moment.

Bike from Marino.jpg

May as well throw up specs I guess.
Frame- Marino Custom
Fork- Durolux R2C2 120mm, heaviest neg spring, two volume spacers and four travel spacers as the neg spring is so strong I get 40mm of neg travel at my suited pressure.
Wheelset- Flow Mk3 rims, CX-Ray spokes and Syntace hubs
Brakes- Magura MT5
Cranks- Zee currently but will change to something shorter with a lower Q Factor
Stem-
RaceFace Atlas 35/35
Bar- Tune Wunderbar
Post- Magura Vyron
Seat- Some cheap Velo thing, soo to become a Chromag Trailmaster LTD
Chainring- Can't remember, some cheap Euro, as a dirty bearded hipster I liked the lack of branding but it is rubbish in the mud chain sucks like I have never experienced before.
Chain-Whipaman, some black thing, the plating is shit and doesn't like mud at all.
Grips- Ergon GA2, awesome things, never going back to ODI.

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
New hardtail frame turned up yesterday morning.

Kona Honzo Ti in large.
Build spec that I've decided on so far and started collecting:
2019 Rockshox Pike 140mm boost (arrive in NZ in a few weeks)
Marsh guard black on black colour
KS Lev Integra carbon 125mm for my stumpy legs
Woolftooth dropper lever
SDG Duster saddle (Ti rails & the Chepi design)
M8020 XT trail brakes
SixC cranks 170mm cinch mount (again due to stumpy legs)
Absolute black 32t chainring
XTR 11-40 cassette
KMC DLC 11sp chain
XTR 11spd shifter
M8000 XT rear derailer
All cables the Jagwire super polished (way better than Shimano's flaky optislick)
Anvil Mandrel 35mm carbon bars cut to 780mm
Anvil Swage stem 50mm

Haven't been able to make my mind up about wheels yet but kinda leaning towards the old faithful of Hope for the hubs.
Tyres either WildRockRs or Minion DHF 29x2.5 and a Maxxis Aggressor rear.
Tubeless of course.

Going to take awhile to build up as some stuff is yet to arrive in NZ and the price tag is going to take a bit of saving up for some of the parts.
20180330_153016.jpg

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It's a Sram thing.
I don't know about Sram/Shimano compatibility, I ran a clutched Zee 8 spd on an X9 shifter with attack internals, I had to make a spacer to change the leverage to make it work. Also ran it 9spd with the X9 internals.
After that I went to a left hand nine speed X9 shifter with clutched Zee mech, that was quite a bit of work to get the cable pull right.

I have Sram GX now and the shift levers are about a foot apart, it's the first Sram shifter I have used that is worse than a Shimano one.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018
Here's my Norco Range Carbon C7.2. Too many upgrades, but I'll try to remember as many as possible...

Rockshox Pike Fork (160mm)
Hope Tech 3 E4 Brakes with Floating Rotors
Joystick 8 Bit Alloy Handlebar
Joystick Binary Stem
Joystick X Logo Lock-on Grips
Joystick Emulator Pedals
Joystick Analog Saddle
Kindshock (KS) LEV Integra (392mm) Dropper Post
SRAM Groupset with X1 & X9 components
e*thirteen Chainguide

Will be upgrading the wheels and installing Enduro Bearing components soon as well. Stay Tuned! Hope you all enjoy!

IMG_7038.JPG

IMG_6278.JPG

IMG_6269 2.JPG

IMG_6308.JPG

IMG_6283 2.jpg

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Ready for the season (almost). This short rear end 29er (16.3" stays) with 27.5" wheels is fun. Funny thing is, when I ride the FS bike, I miss my hardtail. :crazy:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Ready for the season (almost). This short rear end 29er (16.3" stays) with 27.5" wheels is fun. Funny thing is, when I ride the FS bike, I miss my hardtail. :crazy:

Rad bike. You riding 27.5 or 27.5 pluzz? If 27.5 small, how's the BB height (ie - kidwoo approved)? . Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere.

Also, figured the recent spate of shit weather has fucked you for another couple weeks.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Rad bike. You riding 27.5 or 27.5 pluzz? If 27.5 small, how's the BB height (ie - kidwoo approved)? . Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere.

Also, figured the recent spate of shit weather has fucked you for another couple weeks.
Pluzz is for puzzies. I ride 2.35 front / 2.3 rear. :D BB height is pretty much at 13.00" +/- .1" depending on tires.
Don't get me started about the weather... :rant: