Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
People are going bat-shit crazy on mtbr. Bikes that have been out for barely a year and then people asking if an updated model is coming out all over the place. Seems the normal production run is supposed to be around 6 months or so, then you are supposed to shred your carbon bike and get a new one.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Serial bike/part swapping in the search for the next "bestest" in cycling is nothing new @Jm_

Have you had a blow to the head?

Get well soon.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011

This was supposed to be my new whip but I had to send it back because its too short. The L-size frame is too high tough... :/

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
People are going bat-shit crazy on mtbr. Bikes that have been out for barely a year and then people asking if an updated model is coming out all over the place. Seems the normal production run is supposed to be around 6 months or so, then you are supposed to shred your carbon bike and get a new one.
Are these the same folks that go buy a new camera when the memory gets full?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Built up a new trail bike this year while I was rehabbing from shoulder surgery (AC joint reconstruction/bicep tenodesis) in February. Best little bike I've had. The Michelin Wild AMs are pretty good. Not quite the WildRock'r 2 "Lite" a bunch of us wish they made, but pretty close.
IMG_4814_edited (1024x768).jpg
IMG_4768.JPG
IMG_4759.JPG

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
To be fair, the way standards are developing if you buy a bike older than 6 months it probably won't have spares available except through museums....

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Was going to take some pictures of the new toys for the Podium - Ohlins / Andreani piston and shim kit, seals and spring. Apparently the camera on my phone has up and quit - no notice given - Bastard.:rant: So until I remember to grab my wife's phone and take a couple of pix, you will have to suffice with a picture of the Family.:monkey:

The Family.JPG

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Was going to take some pictures of the new toys for the Podium - Ohlins / Andreani piston and shim kit, seals and spring. Apparently the camera on my phone has up and quit - no notice given - Bastard.:rant: So until I remember to grab my wife's phone and take a couple of pix, you will have to suffice with a picture of the Family.:monkey:

View attachment 125670
Umm, I don't see any crab0n frames... :ban:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

View attachment 125670
Yo dawg. We heard you like knolly...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

View attachment 125670
That picture could be the perfect ad for a wholesale of bearings and links...

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
finally finished the turd last night. I found a good frame and suspension combo on on ones website. got a good deal on the wheels and tires. the rest were spare parts I had. going to replace the seat and fix the angle tonight.

will replace the suspension in a couple of months to something better. I just want to get out and ride right now.

Attachments

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
finally finished the turd last night. I found a good frame and suspension combo on on ones website. got a good deal on the wheels and tires. the rest were spare parts I had. going to replace the seat and fix the angle tonight.

will replace the suspension in a couple of months to something better. I just want to get out and ride right now.
yo! is that a weak wheeled 29er death trap, or still brocially acceptable because it's not 29" 650b? Very interested to hear your thoughts- that's supposed to be a pretty decent bike. Just short.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
yo! is that a weak wheeled 29er death trap, or still brocially acceptable because it's not 29" 650b? Very interested to hear your thoughts- that's supposed to be a pretty decent bike. Just short.
well, I built it, so probably a death trap.

their sizing chart is way off. it lists 5'11" to 6' as the maximum size for the medium (im 5'11"), and it was recommended by on one that i get a medium. although, at the time of purchasing only the medium was available; the large was a 8ish month wait.

also, for whatever reason, they change their pricing weekly/bi-weekly. so i wanted to scoop one up while it was cheap. (i should have just waited. lol)

of course when i checked last week, they had larges in stock. oh well. ill do fine on a medium; i just wanted to get back out on the trail asap. ill let you know how it rides! my first niner.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Not DH but ....
I wasn't planning on anything new, but I'll be building up one of these.

Undecided on HOW to build it, but I have time while it gets manufactured. I'll have to build a new rear wheel at minimum. I'm thinking XT, some sort of 120ish fork, and 27.5 wheels. No plus. Seeing as the stable includes a dj, trail-duro f/s bike and the dh bike I'd like to keep this a real 'trail' bike for mellower trails. Or, I just don't know.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not DH but ....
I wasn't planning on anything new, but I'll be building up one of these.

Undecided on HOW to build it, but I have time while it gets manufactured. I'll have to build a new rear wheel at minimum. I'm thinking XT, some sort of 120ish fork, and 27.5 wheels. No plus. Seeing as the stable includes a dj, trail-duro f/s bike and the dh bike I'd like to keep this a real 'trail' bike for mellower trails. Or, I just don't know.
So you're going to run it with 650b wheels and normal tires? Or 29?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Not sure. 650b likely, and if "normal" tires are 2.4ish, then yes.
I've not had a 29r, though if I ever wanted to this would be a good time to do it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Check out the 2.6 grid slaughter and butcher that specialized just came out with. Kind of an interesting feeling compound/casing. Kind of damp like a dh tire but nowhere near the weight. Voluminous without being too stupid....pretty good on a hardtail I'd think.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Hardtails (like walking) are not a civilized means of transportation and no balloon tire made can change that.
The new BTR I have coming has a 62 degree head tube angle and a 56mm BB drop. I'm going to run 26" wheels on it. It will be thoroughly uncivilized and very awesome.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not sure. 650b likely, and if "normal" tires are 2.4ish, then yes.
I've not had a 29r, though if I ever wanted to this would be a good time to do it.
My $0.02, wheelsize aside, silly low BBs on hardtails are the way to go. You're not going to be pedaling through anything rough anyway, so you might as well.

This is to say that I think putting 27.5x2.4s on one of those sounds like a good idea.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My $0.02, wheelsize aside, silly low BBs on hardtails are the way to go. You're not going to be pedaling through anything rough anyway, so you might as well.

This is to say that I think putting 27.5x2.4s on one of those sounds like a good idea.
See, now you're talking! I already did that math and with 26" wheels I could be down to like 11.5" give or take based on tire.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Check out the 2.6 grid slaughter and butcher that specialized just came out with. Kind of an interesting feeling compound/casing. Kind of damp like a dh tire but nowhere near the weight. Voluminous without being too stupid....pretty good on a hardtail I'd think.
I recently put this setup on my chromag hardtail, fantastic...They feel like real tires but give a slight be of dampening on the trail and they actually turn...They nailed these.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Very interested to hear your thoughts- that's supposed to be a pretty decent bike. Just short.
I managed to get two rides on this thing this weekend. first and foremost, the sizing is weird: when I sit on it, it feels a little small, but when im riding, it doesn't feel cramped. I haven't smacked my knees on the bar or stem yet (I also have a 40mm chromag stem on it, FWIW). I need to ride more to get more feedback, but so far so good.

im not sure where the weight is on this thing (frameset?), but its certainly not a light bike. the bike can feel a little sluggish at slower speeds, but once you get it going, she rolls pretty damn good. im sure it wont matter once I start riding more and build up some cardio. I don't think my tires are rated tubeless, but I might try to set it up ghetto tubeless down the line to get rid of some of the rotating mass.

my last bike was a 2014 26 fuel ex that had a hard time in the chatter and rough stuff, between those un-rideable 26" wheels and the rear shock that would bottom out over everything. these wagon wheels just skip right over it all. seated climbs are pretty good as well with minimal pedal bob.

overall, its a damn fun bike to ride. i only spent $1452 for the spare parts i didn't have (i wanted to keep it around 1500). suspension will be upgraded later this year. i need a better seat and post combo. my ass is certainly feeling it today.

edit: how could i forget. local turtle approves. I don't think he realized how many of his smurf friends died to make my paint job a reality.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
So, she's gone. Sold my Tues last weekend. Actually it hurts a little. But I think the new owner is a good guy.
I was actually shocked that he wanted to buy it. Just rode two circles on the parking lot and was convinced about the buy.
Last picture of my Tues. It was an awesome ride!

Tues.jpg