Quantcast

2018 5/18-20 DirtFest PA

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Whose going?

We have two side by side lake front camp sites booked on the non-rowdy side, as one buddy is bringing his kids.

Which is okay, maybe we won't have a dude playing the banjo stumble through our site at 2am....not that most of us minded. :rofl:

Should be extra room if any one wants to crash at either site. All we ask is that you chip in some beer and maybe some bacon.

It was good times all around last year.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Whose going?

We have two side by side lake front camp sites booked on the non-rowdy side, as one buddy is bringing his kids.

Which is okay, maybe we won't have a dude playing the banjo stumble through our site at 2am....not that most of us minded. :rofl:

Should be extra room if any one wants to crash at either site. All we ask is that you chip in some beer and maybe some bacon.

It was good times all around last year.
I will bring beer and Sauages. I would like to attend.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
2 summers ago me and some of my neighbors rented a rad cabin maybe 10-15 minutes from the trail head. Was real nice. Nice big yard, grill, etc.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
OK, educate me. What would require a licensed captain?
Coast Guard safety course. Of which the age requirement is 14. I have one also. I plan on being very drunk and will not take the responsibility. If everyone has a flotation device on and the operator is seemingly sober. The PA authorities will let it slide. PA waterways for the most part are as lawless as the rest of the state....

Inasmuch as I know, operating a small pleasure boat for non-commercial purposes does not require a Coast Guard license.

I have not attended a Coast Guard course, but I had months of training as a harbor craft operator in the Army and followed that up with a series of Power Squadron courses.

If you were born on or after January 1, 1982 and are operating a vessel over 25 horsepower in the state of Pennsylvania, you must carry the Pennsylvania Boating Safety Education Certificate.

Note: If someone says you need a 'boating license', what they mean is that you need the Pennsylvania Boating Safety Education Certificate.

I think I'm grandfathered.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If you were born on or after January 1, 1982 and are operating a vessel over 25 horsepower in the state of Pennsylvania, you must carry the Pennsylvania Boating Safety Education Certificate.

Note: If someone says you need a 'boating license', what they mean is that you need the Pennsylvania Boating Safety Education Certificate.

My brother isn't interested anyways.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

More like great-great-great-grandfathered.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'll be there. No big sponsorship for us this year (marketing schmuck didn't reply to Dirt Rag's email :mad:), but we'll still do a couple of happy hours with different vendors.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I miss Jim Thorpe. It was a cool event. I went for 15 years in a row.
I only made it the last 2 years. :(

I didn't really mean it as a rag on Dirtfest but I found my t-shirt from the last MBW and it made me a little sad. I loved those events.

tekin112000

Chimp
Feb 10, 2009
To Dirt Fest?

Can you bike to the trails from your rental thing?
It is only 11.2 miles from hotel to expo but I am not sure if the roads are safe to ride on. I don't like riding on roads I am unfamiliar with, especially in rural PA. Even worse if I end up leaving around dusk.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It is only 11.2 miles from hotel to expo but I am not sure if the roads are safe to ride on. I don't like riding on roads I am unfamiliar with, especially in rural PA. Even worse if I end up leaving around dusk.
The roads are pretty narrow around there and lots of bro-trucks.. No camping gear? The campsites are like an additional $10 to the entrance fee, though might be awkward if you're going solo. :busted:

There's parking at the event, but it turns into a mudhole if there's significant rain. Alternatively, you can park at Seven Points Campground, 6256 Seven Points Rd, Hesston, PA 16647, which has a paved lot, and there's singletrack from there to the event. There's a lot of stuff going on well into the night...

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
There's parking at the event, but it turns into a mudhole if there's significant rain. Alternatively, you can park at Seven Points Campground, 6256 Seven Points Rd, Hesston, PA 16647, which has a paved lot, and there's singletrack from there to the event. There's a lot of stuff going on well into the night...
This is probably your best option. Last year was the inaugural year for a 2nd expo area at this end of the trails. Park, check out the expo, hit the skills park, then shuttle or hit the singletrack over to the main expo/festival stuff.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Toronto Monkeys. By the time the Dirtfest happens trail conditions here in Western NY will be pretty optimal. I suggest you plan a trip to Ontario County Park. On the way. Snow is pretty much gone. Trails are in great shape considering... You will have the place to yourselves..

tekin112000

Chimp
Feb 10, 2009
Originally Posted by tekin112000
To the guys that have been before, anything I should know, this is my first time.

I plan to drive up FRi afternoon stay over night then leave late Sat

I am too much of a princess to stay at a primative camp so I got a Motel room a few miles away. I plan to drive my car over and park at the Seven Points Marina. I heard the other parking lots can turn into mud pits if there is rain.

Will there be much food and drink available or should I pack my own?

There is food/drink at the festival, but we bring our own to cut down on cost. Water is readily available, and if its the same as last year, free with festival admission.
2 years ago the main parking lot was a mud pit because of the rain. The worst section of the lot was restricted to 4 wheel drive. Last year it didn't rain and it was fine.

The marina parking lot would work, just be prepared for a bit of a road climb to get to the trails - or find a shuttle-stop. (Make sure to "check in" to the Fest before you park for the day to get the festival wristband which permits shuttle rides.

A closer option would be to park in the 7 Points Visitation Center parking lot. You can register/Check-in for the event at the 7 Points Visitation Center (or at the Main festival), so that option would be more convenient.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If you park at the 7 points registration area or just down the road, there is a shuttle right there. But the road ride up to the trails isn't that bad...