Quantcast

2018 offseason guessing game & rumour thread

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
in google maps at least the land killington is on is identified as state forest.
It has to be something like that, I remember back in the day they were trying to connect Killington to Pico but couldn't because of state forest.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It has to be something like that, I remember back in the day they were trying to connect Killington to Pico but couldn't because of state forest.
so looking closer, the resort is within the state park. the peak/summit of the mountain, however, is not. Granted these aren't official zoning maps or anything, but still.

upload_2017-10-4_9-59-36.png

upload_2017-10-4_9-59-57.png

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Which monstrosity was this?
Someone with better google-fu than me might be able to find it. I'm sure at one of the WCs (MSA maybe) there was a pit photo of his demo which looked liked they'd altered the reach by cutting, extending and patching it with duct tape (carbon wrap). I've tried to find it again but no luck?

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
oh. this is the first i've heard of this. that would kinda surprise me, last i had heard (earlier this year) harper still worked at mt creek, although unsure if he was affiliated with bike operations
Neko and Clay were at Killington a couple weeks ago when I was there for the enduro finals. I also heard rumors about the uso being held there fwiw.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

So much potential.... Please build a track worthy of a US Open title and is proper steep, wide, and natural and is not a shallow grade motorway like all the new stuff that has been built there.

I really hope this isn't a cash grab to build a sanitized track so the VT Enduro community comes out en masse.

#makedownhillscaryagain

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Does that place even have anywhere with a decent pitch? Serious question I don't know. Everything I've seen looks real nice and rocky but yeah, pretty mellow grades.
Killington's main focus is orienting their entire DH run offerings into XC / Short Track courses. They've plenty of old, lasting trails; the manner in which the ESC Finals were run linked up what had to be the best race to date. They can easily surprise for a memorable DH Course as did Finals Stage 2 for me...

Whoever was taking pics near Goat Skull's gap - I wanna see how hard I squashed the booter next to the ramp I'd missed! Barked out an '...ohh sheeeeeeit' as I realized I was sprinting past the ramp. Holla!!

Long standing old friends from before bikes have been involved there for many, many, many years; trail creation, sponsorship and, being visible to help those who enjoy the sport. Each are very tuned into core-values, enjoying riding, and of course management-decisions. Really looking forward to this next season.

@rollertoaster - I'd picked up on the scuttlebutt then also from very reliable sources. Good to know people involved over there - I barely have ridden there, but that'll change!

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
All those pics of gnarly terrain in that article make me...

Yawn...

Really? Ski trails? Nothing shown in the woods.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
All those pics of gnarly terrain in that article make me...

Yawn...

Really? Ski trails? Nothing shown in the woods.
Seems like they haven't cut the track yet. Looks like they were scoping out lines.

@kidwoo, it's a ski resort. There's plenty of steep terrain. They just have to figure out a way of running the course through it.

I think with Mullaly involved, they're in pretty good hands.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
@kidwoo, it's a ski resort. There's plenty of steep terrain.
heh. Those don't always go hand in hand.

I saw the link, saw 'us open' and was thinking about diablo creek and didn't read the link to see it was killington.

I skied kirkwood when I was in high school though. That mountain should be good as long as there's some chunk under the dirt, routed on a groomer or not.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Does that place even have anywhere with a decent pitch? Serious question I don't know. Everything I've seen looks real nice and rocky but yeah, pretty mellow grades.
The resort is reasonably large considering it's an East Coast resort and there is no shortage of what could be steep terrain for trails. Killington is kind of interesting in that most of the old trail system, the stuff from 15-20 years ago, was actually fairly Enduro before it was a thing and not all that enjoyable to ride on a DH bike. Lack of maintenance and primarily underwhelming trails that traversed the mountain is likely why it fell out of favor for many riders.

The new trails going in are interesting. Not my cup of tea. There could be some really burly and long runs, maybe it's a Gravity Logic thing, but it seems like their MO is either a) build dirt road with berms and jumps or b) build Cat 2 level downhill trails. I'll hold out hope that there's more in store. It would be fun to have a place that has some legit frightening runs. I'm by no means a particularly good rider but I do appreciate when there are trails that are really hard or I'm too wigged out to ride.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
If they do in fact build from the peak there is potential for some very steep terrain going down the front side of the mountain. We'll see what happens, but k1 badly needs some new trails that don't start 2 miles down the fire roads from the actual gondola.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The resort is reasonably large considering it's an East Coast resort and there is no shortage of what could be steep terrain for trails. Killington is kind of interesting in that most of the old trail system, the stuff from 15-20 years ago, was actually fairly Enduro before it was a thing and not all that enjoyable to ride on a DH bike. Lack of maintenance and primarily underwhelming trails that traversed the mountain is likely why it fell out of favor for many riders. .
pretty much my take. went there once back in the day with my Brooklyn. Hated every minute of it. Some steep spooky trails, I think exactly two of them, go straight down the face. Most trails have a mile of fire road before entering the woods. Some trails, despite descending 4000ft, seem to be flat. One trail there is one of my favorites of all time, I think it's number five, near the bottom.

They're going to have to put a little effort in to get a good DH trail, but the terrain is there. If they run what they have, it'll be won on a gravel grinder, which is a thing now.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I have a feeling they are going for the MSA and old school Mount Snow vibe. Wide open tape on the long stretches of open trail with some fast wood stuff thrown in.