Quantcast

2018 Very Respectful World Cup #1: Lošinj

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Back on topic here. When is the last time three folks from the US of A were on a World Cup podim? I know I can look it up but I’m hoping one of you key board warriors knows this.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Is there where I'm laughing at one thing and someone pretends I'm laughing at something else to reiterate a point no one made?

Hahahaaaaa!!!

BWAAHHAHAHAAAHHAAAA!!!!
nah, multiquote was faster than copying & pasting or typing.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Back on topic here. When is the last time three folks from the US of A were on a World Cup podim? I know I can look it up but I’m hoping one of you key board warriors knows this.
Leigh Donovan, Missy Giove and Marla Streb or Kathy Sessler? That would be your best bet hey.

Maybe Miles Rockwell, Mike King and someone else but I legit can't think of any other time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Now that I have finally been able to remove my foot from my mouth, I guess it is time to eat some crow, albeit with a side of contrariness.

The course is not the disaster I first thought. After seeing much more in depth footage, I realized its factor of gnar was sized UP by a magnitude.:eek: What looked like mid size drops and a big-un ended up being man and gorilla sized. I still really don't like the pinball section with the very narrow walls. I just see a bad bounce or slip on a rock, a clipping of the bars and then carnage. there are just no escape routes. :eek::panic: Thought the sets of doubles were cool, pretty much a critical feature set.

The third of the course road section just blew dead bears.:Alcoholic:
Need to reroute and / or throw in some features, wallride, berm little off camber kickers, transfers, hell.... Have them stop in a little booth.
Front censor brakes the beam.
Rider dismounts, and the barman hands him a full beer in a proper glass
Rider drinks beer as fast as possible.
Rider must then remount the bike and place empty glass on the bar before the Front wheel breaks the exit beam.:headbang:
Now pedal like frick into a mandatory huge double that lands into a set of woops, that can be doubled or bashed, final pedal strokes into a corner wall ride/ kicker where you cross the finish line in teh airz.:rockout:

Honestly, I think it still sucks as a WC course. :mad: The top part is proper gnar, but the bottom is the easy part of an urban downhill. Entertaining as hell, yes, for the most part, 'cepting the sidewalk stroll.

If you could find more like that bottom dirt and rock section with the slabs, compression's and ravines and have it extend down to the water then I think you have a proper track :banana:

The best thing is if they can find some upper urban, then build an appropriate line through this middle tech section, then a final into the square and make it a stop on the Urban Downhill Season. That would be an awesome track.

I also still feel that a variation on this track would also make a great Endurpo stage.

Looks like Minnar has to get his ASS-guy to massage some cush-cores onto them thar fancy syndicate rimz.:clue:
Well done boys and girls - hope the healing goes well and fast.
Thanks again for some awesome entertainment. :rockout:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
<snip waffleage>
Need to reroute and / or throw in some features, wallride, berm little off camber kickers, transfers, hell.... Have them stop in a little booth.
Front censor brakes the beam.
Rider dismounts, and the barman hands him a full beer in a proper glass
Rider drinks beer as fast as possible.
Rider must then remount the bike and place empty glass on the bar before the Front wheel breaks the exit beam.:headbang:
Now pedal like frick into a mandatory huge double that lands into a set of woops, that can be doubled or bashed, final pedal strokes into a corner wall ride/ kicker where you cross the finish line in teh airz.:rockout:
<snip wafflage>
So basically you just want Peaty back don't you......

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Does anyone get the feeling the nature of the course made for rather random results. I wonder how well initial results (Outside of Rock Jesus) translate to the following races. The track meant a lot of bouncing around with loose rocks making it hard to go exactly where you wanted and little mistakes actually meant a lot since the course was short and not super steep (so regaining speed was not that fast).

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I think it is sad that we have two major casualties of the course:
1) no proper Claudio course preview
2) no @jackalope pre-race analysis
At least Claudio showed up alive and well, but jackalope is still missing!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
What I heard on the shed lizardskinvine is that he wouldn't stop using the "Cxxxxcross" word in his round up.
Very sad, he will be missed.
His absence shall not go unpunished! Just the amount of missed references to lvanka Trump riding somethingsomethingsomething calls for at least a probation period for the coming months. Might evolve into an ordeal trial if he fails to deliver again.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
His absence shall not go unpunished! Just the amount of missed references to lvanka Trump riding somethingsomethingsomething calls for at least a probation period for the coming months. Might evolve into an ordeal trial if he fails to deliver again.
Wait what? Did i miss something?

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Does anyone get the feeling the nature of the course made for rather random results. I wonder how well initial results (Outside of Rock Jesus) translate to the following races. The track meant a lot of bouncing around with loose rocks making it hard to go exactly where you wanted and little mistakes actually meant a lot since the course was short and not super steep (so regaining speed was not that fast).
Speaking of random results, I want to know what Dakotah Norton did in the that lower woods sections. Seemed to pretty much faster than everyone else through there.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I still really don't like the pinball section with the very narrow walls. I just see a bad bounce or slip on a rock, a clipping of the bars and then carnage. there are just no escape routes.
disagree. I loved that section. Seeing how the best of the best negotiated that technical bit, and were able to carry speed through there was amazeballs. Also, this allowed for the best and proper use of slowmo footage: seeing the body english, slight rider inputs, the bike and wheels working and twisting like crazy... it's almost like watching a master class in pole dancing at the uhh... ballet...

Thought the sets of doubles were cool, pretty much a critical feature set.
Agreed. was amazeballs, again, to see the best of the best dispatch this section like it wasn't no thang. and then the rest of the rest struggle mightily through it. very impressive.

Looks like Minnar has to get his ASS-guy to massage some cush-cores onto them thar fancy syndicate rimz.
I wonder how many of the other Syndicate riders ran it? Been looking for a post-race bike round-up (not the "in the pits" pictures, where I assume parts are swapped out from actual race run bikes to satisfy spawnser obligations).

Not me. Negotiating technical bits of track, memorizing lines, having to slow it down in order to go faster and finding that optimal balance... that's what gets me hot and bothered for racing. For me, this type of track is an awesome showcase of the talent and skillz these riders possess.

I can see why they did it. I think everything up to the "top 10 permanently protected riders always leaving in the same order" parts makes sense, but that bit is just dumb. OK, have permanently protected riders. OK have the top-10 non permanents from the last race protected at the next race. But for the love of god, have the top 20 start in reverse order from qualifying. or at least the top 10. anything else robs the people who put in the hard work from benefitting from the just reward they deserve.

I was hoping I'd be wrong. I thought I was wrong when the dude got up and rode his fucking bike down the hill.
In the Vital interviews, he pretty clearly states his collar bone was broken. He shrugged and said he wasn't keen on having the medics walk him down the track. not sure if a little crazy, or just tough as nails. perhaps both? I suppose he didn't want a DNF.... would he get any points anyways?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think it is sad that we have two major casualties of the course:
1) no proper Claudio course preview
2) no @jackalope pre-race analysis
At least Claudio showed up alive and well, but jackalope is still missing!
weather in his region was super nice over the last few days. he was probably *gasp* outside riding his bike.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
In the Vital interviews, he pretty clearly states his collar bone was broken. He shrugged and said he wasn't keen on having the medics walk him down the track. not sure if a little crazy, or just tough as nails. perhaps both? I suppose he didn't want a DNF.... would he get any points anyways?
Maybe he's Wolverine?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Not me. Negotiating technical bits of track, memorizing lines, having to slow it down in order to go faster and finding that optimal balance... that's what gets me hot and bothered for racing. For me, this type of track is an awesome showcase of the talent and skillz these riders possess.
We look at downhill different. I'd much rather have a steeper and even more technical track that values creativity over making no mistakes. That's my problem with a few other WC tracks - 1-2 mistakes and your race run is ruined. I would much rather see a track that keeps the line choice of Losinj but that rewards you big for thinking outside the box rather than for being a race robot.

Even if you see interviews with some of the top10 guys many of them seem surprised they did so well. To me that's bad.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I wonder how many of the other Syndicate riders ran it? Been looking for a post-race bike round-up (not the "in the pits" pictures, where I assume parts are swapped out from actual race run bikes to satisfy spawnser obligations).
looks like the guy who podiumed didn't and the guy to didn't podium did.

other maxxis riders : it appears brook, lucas and greenland were running the minnass tire, dakota was on DHR II's

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
looks like the guy who podiumed didn't and the guy to didn't podium did.

other maxxis riders : it appears brook, lucas and greenland were running the minnass tire, dakota was on DHR II's
hmmm... I think this is an Assegai?! Says Loris ran it... where did he finish again?

I think you were right about Brook running it too:

Greenland too:

In short, I still don't know what tires were on the podium!

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
pretty sure...
gwin : aquila
shaw : dhr 2
lucas : minnass
blenki : magic mary, probably run backwards
norton : dhr 2

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife and I watched the replay last night and thought the racing was great. Amazing to see how much time was being lost in the first 20 seconds out of the gate and how perfect they had to be in the final jumps before the woods.
A big shame McDonald turned himself into an auger again.
The stupid start order rule change is stupid.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
From PB comments in Minnaars tires:
“Boobs are great, but I've always been a bit of an Assegai myself.”
:rofl:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yes, big ups to east coast locals Gwin, Shaw and Norton.

In all seriousness, watching Claudio attempting to form thoughts and failing to respond to most of Warner’s questions and queues was sad/gross. :(

Looking forward to some better tracks coming up!