Quantcast

2019 World Champs

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
not even 2 weeks and world champs are happening...

will the 2 french men be contenders or are they gonna play i safe to secure the world cup? who‘s gonna turn it up instead? let‘s get hyped ppl!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
For the girls, Tahnee and Pompom will be there too. Pompom did well in crankwork with a 3rd place meaning she is back into shape after her foot injury. Not so sure about Tahnee as her Instagram says that she can just manage "3 laps every couple of days"...
Tracey should give it a good try and Marine is on a good wave.
Women's DH has become so interesting lately!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Pom Pom showed she is back on pace at Crankworx on the weekend, but apparently can't hit harsh landings as the foot is still bad. Tracey seems intent on bringing in the overall so I don't know if she'll risk upsetting that apple cart for the rainbow stripes, but then again - this year is her best chance since Cairns. I wouldn't be surprised if Marine took it though - her riding at the moment is right on edge.

In the Mens, both Frenchies are probably more concerned with the overall, and there's a few fast guys who aren't in contention for the overall now so they've got nothing to lose by putting it all on the line for the stripes. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the Syndicate boys step up for the Champs actually.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Pom Pom showed she is back on pace at Crankworx on the weekend, but apparently can't hit harsh landings as the foot is still bad. Tracey seems intent on bringing in the overall so I don't know if she'll risk upsetting that apple cart for the rainbow stripes, but then again - this year is her best chance since Cairns. I wouldn't be surprised if Marine took it though - her riding at the moment is right on edge.

In the Mens, both Frenchies are probably more concerned with the overall, and there's a few fast guys who aren't in contention for the overall now so they've got nothing to lose by putting it all on the line for the stripes. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the Syndicate boys step up for the Champs actually.
loris, if he has a clean run...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Tracey seems intent on bringing in the overall so I don't know if she'll risk upsetting that apple cart for the rainbow stripes, but then again - this year is her best chance since Cairns. I wouldn't be surprised if Marine took it though - her riding at the moment is right on edge.
Shen went for gold at the Canadian open and that's neither here nor there in her WC season, I suspect she'll be going for it at World Champs as well. I think it'll be her or Cabirou, they both have all the reasons to risk it all as well as all the reasons to ride conservatively, but Rainbow stripes are Rainbow stripes, i think it'll be a risk it all kind of a race.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I just want to see Greg the GOAT notch another one, don't care if it is Cup or Champs.

:wave:
i'd pretty much written greg off as on the leeward side of the hill, but after the last wc 2nd place finish, and the fact the 2 fast frenchies are battling for the wc overall kinda bolstered the sorta/kinda thought that he could pull this off. granted, troy, danny, & gwinn will be hungry for this, so will be no easy feat, but would be a nice cherry on the top of the career pie. rooting for him, despite the questionable odds.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I'm not sure Greg has a WC-winning-put-your-life-in-danger MSA run in him but here's a fun fact about his apparently endless pace. If not for Amaury having absolutely insane runs at Ft. Bill and Lenzerheide, Greg would have 2 WINS this year. That is just amazing.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Shen went for gold at the Canadian open and that's neither here nor there in her WC season, I suspect she'll be going for it at World Champs as well. I think it'll be her or Cabirou, they both have all the reasons to risk it all as well as all the reasons to ride conservatively, but Rainbow stripes are Rainbow stripes, i think it'll be a risk it all kind of a race.
To be fair Crankworx prizemoney for a single event is more than an entire WC season so I'm hardly surprised. Fair point though.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
To be fair Crankworx prizemoney for a single event is more than an entire WC season so I'm hardly surprised. Fair point though.
That'd be what I would lean towards, as she has ridden relatively conservatively as of late, especially at VDS. While admitting as much in post race interviews and team videos, I think she's still a little pissed she hasn't been running it closer to the edge. My shitbag uncle who fucking lives half the year in fucking Whistler got to talk to her after her Canadian dh run, and he said she was racing mainly because the track and atmosphere is so fun. I look forward to getting a little grayer and taking over his charmed life after I dispose of his "accidentally" dead body

Anyway, my pesos are on Pom Pom since this is year of mach French.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That'd be what I would lean towards, as she has ridden relatively conservatively as of late, especially at VDS. While admitting as much in post race interviews and team videos, I think she's still a little pissed she hasn't been running it closer to the edge. My shitbag uncle who fucking lives half the year in fucking Whistler got to talk to her after her Canadian dh run, and he said she was racing mainly because the track and atmosphere is so fun. I look forward to getting a little grayer and taking over his charmed life after I dispose of his "accidentally" dead body

Anyway, my pesos are on Pom Pom since this is year of mach French.
your uncle's name is jerkalope

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
was just gonna say, the potential for performance bonuses (ie win money from sponsors) at the world cup might be a factor, at least for the top handful of racers.
Yeah. Looking at how Danny lived he does seem to be decently well off. Not rich but being top5 seems to allow you live comfrotably

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Gotta wonder how much future planning is going on though. There's not much money in the bike industry once they retire.
see my earlier post re: hart's bike park ownership.

Gwin owns the team he's racing for, so that's something he'll likely continue once he steps away from actually racing.

Peaty owns Royal (edit: part owner), and has other product lines as well.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
see my earlier post re: hart's bike park ownership.

Gwin owns the team he's racing for, so that's something he'll likely continue once he steps away from actually racing.

Peaty owns Royal (edit: part owner), and has other product lines as well.
Let's see how they're all doing in their 50s putting kids through college and planning on full retirement. Some are probably smart enough to plan well, but I'd be willing to be that if we looked at top 5 DH riders over the last 20 years the vast majority aren't exactly set up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Honestly if most of these guys are able to put themselves through college debt free due to racing, then that's a huge win in my book. If you wash out with free college and some great stories, then that's a relatively quality life.