Quantcast

2019 World Champs

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Let's see how they're all doing in their 50s putting kids through college and planning on full retirement. Some are probably smart enough to plan well, but I'd be willing to be that if we looked at top 5 DH riders over the last 20 years the vast majority aren't exactly set up.
do any of them currently have kids?

also, retirement outside the US is waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy different than in the US. and college outside the US doesn't cost your entire family tree's life savings.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Let's see how they're all doing in their 50s putting kids through college and planning on full retirement. Some are probably smart enough to plan well, but I'd be willing to be that if we looked at top 5 DH riders over the last 20 years the vast majority aren't exactly set up.
You realize that Greg Minaar is on that list every year for the last 20 years?! And, actually I bet the top 5 guys that were not 1 hit wonders are all doing OK. Tomac, Vouilloz, Minnaar, Barel, Palmer, Peat, Gracia, Hill, Atherton, Etc..Maybe not rich like the big 4 sports, but comfortable from doing something they loved.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You realize that Greg Minaar is on that list every year for the last 20 years?! And, actually I bet the top 5 guys that were not 1 hit wonders are all doing OK. Tomac, Vouilloz, Minnaar, Barel, Palmer, Peat, Gracia, Hill, Atherton, Etc..Maybe not rich like the big 4 sports, but comfortable from doing something they loved.
Tomac's kid is pro motocross, so there's that.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
It would be interesting to pull the top overall 5 from the last 20 years and see. Might also be interesting to see what the difference is with top 5-10. I've been acquainted with a couple of former top 10 world cup riders, not going to name names, but they're not killing it. Then again, I live in the SF Bay area, so my reality of what it takes to get by is not typical.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Honestly if most of these guys are able to put themselves through college debt free due to racing, then that's a huge win in my book. If you wash out with free college and some great stories, then that's a relatively quality life.
that must be the reason why there are not much germans racing the wc, we already have free college :banana:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
how’s our favorite shirtless parking b/pro doing these days?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Owning a bike park that isn't Whistler sounds only slightly more lucrative than a clothing brand that conjures images of getting one's wiener chopped off.

If Missy was a little more careful, her post racing career may have worked out OK, although she probably would've needed to diversify into opiods or something else to fortify her portfolio.

As for CGs new clothing line, that can't be real. Just can't...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
retirement outside the US is waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy different than in the US.
You still have to contribute for many (20+ depending on country) years to become eligible for retirement pension in EU, and how much you're getting depends on how much you have been paying for many years prior to retirement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You still have to contribute for many (20+ depending on country) years to become eligible for retirement pension in EU, and how much you're getting depends on how much you have been paying for many years prior to retirement.
That's how a pension works. Most people our generation in the US don't even know what a pension *is*.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Back on topic, the Steve Smith drop has been sanitized for this year. They added a wooden tranny to smooth it out a bit. I don't know if there are other major changes to the track.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Back on topic, the Steve Smith drop has been sanitized for this year. They added a wooden tranny to smooth it out a bit. I don't know if there are other major changes to the track.
Was it off that one that Rachel had a major wobble and save a couple of years ago?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Gotta wonder how much future planning is going on though. There's not much money in the bike industry once they retire.
I didn't see anything outside of the park but Danny seems to be very level headed so I assume he isn't spending all of his cash.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Retirement for factory riders is about managing (investing) their salarys in the future. I read somewhere that for example Danny Hart is majorly investing in housing.
Cedric Gracia did import american cars to yurp and restoring luxury houses. And has a rich wife.
Peaty has its own product line plus is still under contract by SC and Monster.
Minnaar, owner of a bikeshop in SA and clearly invested in other businesses aswell.

It's not about how much you earn during your career but how you use your earned money I reckon.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Nina Hoffmann is out for the rest of the season because of a shoulder injury. Bummer! :shocked: :cray::rant:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Nina Hoffmann is out for the rest of the season because of a shoulder injury. Bummer! :shocked: :cray::rant:

Suxor...Well, at least the women's field is (theoretically) deeper than it has been in quite awhile, since it seems like there's going to be some casualties moving forward. Also hope her injury doesn't affect her attractiveness to get picked up by a factory team, as she has the pace to be on the podium every race and threaten to win at some tracks.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Doesn't Minnaar come from a wealthy/well positioned family? I recall watching some clip where he talked about training in his family ranch.
He is a white dude from South Africa. Of course they are wealthy.

In other news: Gwin seems to get a 27.5" rear. Nothing like last minute mods for world champs, right?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I went to the Masters today.

Papa Bruni won the stripes in his category.

Lopes got second in his. I can certify he was wearing a shirt on the podium.

Another legend worth mentionning: Bas de Bever won in the 50-54.

Chris Canfield too.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Nice run for my homie Daniel "Herny" Tortti on the M35 category, considering he crashed pretty badly yesterday on the timed training, snapped one finger and had to put up with four stitches and swelling on his right knee. He still managed to qualify #100 and finished #31 on the finals, after sleeping half awake because of the pain and inflammation. Worth mentioning he did all this while being a full privateer, funding the trip by himself and arriving at MSA just a couple days before the race.

Screenshot_20190822-203724.png

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Congrats to him. Fellow countryman got 19th in 40-44 and a friend (Aussie) got 15th in 45-49. Tommy Misser in the latter category would have smoked the 40-44 guys.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Bas de beaver is 50? Fuck me. I gotta go find a cliff to jump off of.
That shocked me too, I used to see him frequently at local races when i was riding as a junior after he switched to downhill.

No need for a cliff though as old age should do me in within a few years.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
He is a white dude from South Africa. Of course they are wealthy.

In other news: Gwin seems to get a 27.5" rear. Nothing like last minute mods for world champs, right?
There are regular white people in SA. I know a few families that are regular middle class paycheck to paycheck people.. Not poor but nothing that could set them for life.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
There have been many sharpied DH bikes over the years, don't think they would have stopped him if he really wanted something with more travel and a dual crown.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
There are regular white people in SA. I know a few families that are regular middle class paycheck to paycheck people.. Not poor but nothing that could set them for life.
Anyway, Minnaar is for sure one of the best paid guys on the circuit. And that for 20 years straight. Dude is save if he didn't blew all his earnings on hookers and blow.
He's playing with different offset crowns:

Last edited: