Quantcast

2020 Fox 40 Grip2 frustration

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
To start, I hate air spring forks & shocks. Always rode coil forks starting back in 1996 when I tossed the elastomer stack in my RS Judy and converted to coil. My last 40 was an 09, so coil. My 2019 36 has been upgraded with a Push ASC3 kit. So now that leaves the 2020 40 so not a lot of options, yes looked at Avalanche. I just can't get it dialed in, still rides harsh over the breaking bumps, however its not diving and stays where it should, I do have to correct air pressure & sag. Rode Northstar yesterday and kept messing around with all the settings. Got it feeling okayish, but also not getting full travel. Stock is 4 volume spacers, reduced it to 2 after my last trip there, to try and get it a little more linear. It's a little better not great. Serviced the air spring again this morning (serviced it once last fall) no caking slick honey on the air spring, but this time noticed grease was filled in the negative air chamber hole on the inside the stanchion. Cleaned it out, while adding air and cycling it through for the first time I heard air transfer, so that's good. So doing the street/curb test it seems like I'm getting the O-ring t about 6" and wondering if I should be getting a little more travel while bouncing around? At the ripe old age of 56 I don't get big air and drops aren't more that 3-4 feet, especially after having both ACL's replaced. I prefer doing technical rocky/rooty sections, which is why I'm in search of a helpful answer. Anyone?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
If you aren’t jumping much and mostly riding tech then we should be able to get you happy with a 40.
What settings are you running and how much air pressure? If the air transfer port was not working then the fork would feel like shit and top out.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Sounds like my Fox 40. 160lb, 65psi, no volume spacers, RC2 damper. Don't really notice much of a difference across damper settings and it was serviced recently by the Vorsprung/Melius guys. Not close to using full travel, eyeballs rattling out of skull over braking bumps. Maybe just need to reset expectations.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I was thinking of upgrading dampers to the VVC. So I'm better off what what I have now?
Vvc has very little damping.
Can blow through easily.
The dampers are identical aside from the bv assembly..

If you have the tools to swap dampers the only other tool you'd need is a 22mm clamp for the body to swap in a vvc base valve that costs 100$ rather than spending 300 on a complete damper.

But you may be similarly disappointed in the vvc unit.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Vvc has very little damping.
Can blow through easily.
The dampers are identical aside from the bv assembly..

If you have the tools to swap dampers the only other tool you'd need is a 22mm clamp for the body to swap in a vvc base valve that costs 100$ rather than spending 300 on a complete damper.

But you may be similarly disappointed in the vvc unit.
Is this the part that’s the VVC? The rebound is still the same I assume?
B8001C9C-4A0B-4C12-A9B2-AF9C3E5CB0C8.jpeg

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Sounds like my Fox 40. 160lb, 65psi, no volume spacers, RC2 damper. Don't really notice much of a difference across damper settings and it was serviced recently by the Vorsprung/Melius guys. Not close to using full travel, eyeballs rattling out of skull over braking bumps. Maybe just need to reset expectations.
You'd think there has to some fix for this.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
At some point they changed the lsc adjuster and went from 10w red to 5w oil.

If they put 10w in a 5w damper could be pretty stiff