Quantcast

2020 Harvest

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
What does this even mean?!? Are there people that don't have Parmesan?
Go outside. Look down into the Valley. See all those folks down there from your Luxurious Mountain Home in that gated Community? Lets just call them the Chard eaters so as to not use the derogatory term you might use for them. They may or may not be able to afford expensive cheeses. Not everyone has a Pantry and a Fridge full of expensive cheeses. Something to consider....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Go outside. Look down into the Valley. See all those folks down there from your Luxurious Mountain Home in that gated Community? Lets just call them the Chard eaters so as to not use the derogatory term you might use for them. They may or may not be able to afford expensive cheeses. Not everyone has a Pantry and a Fridge full of expensive cheeses. Something to consider....
If only I could introduce them to the wonder that is Parmesan... their lives would likely be forever transformed.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If only I could introduce them to the wonder that is Parmesan... their lives would likely be forever transformed.
Thats kind of benevolent of you. Maybe you could drive around down there passing out rinds. Be careful I hear those Chard People have communicable diseases sometimes....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I had no idea what it was until about 15 years ago, in that my family always bought the stuff in a can that had an indefinite shelf life. Maybe it was "real", I dunno, but it sure isn't like what I buy from the store. I can understand not having the context to even understand it, having been there...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I had no idea what it was until about 15 years ago, in that my family always bought the stuff in a can that had an indefinite shelf life. Maybe it was "real", I dunno, but it sure isn't like what I buy from the store. I can understand not having the context to even understand it, having been there...
My Grandma lived on Clark Street in the North End of Boston. We had access to the finest expensive cheeses in the land. She still went to Stop and Shop and got the Kraft shit. I had no idea what the real thing was until I went to College. Mrs Salerno upstairs made us real Gravy. So at least I knew what good sauce was.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
Tell me about these "padrones"...
They are a very common tapa in Spain and quite delicious. About the size of a large jalapeno, but kinda wrinkly. They are blistered a bit on a grill or pan and eaten whole, including skin and seeds. In Spain they are pretty mild. My wife found seeds in the UK and some of them are smoking hot. We’re a bit scared of them now, you’ll eat 3 or 4 mild ones and then the next one can almost ruin your night. Kinda like Spanish roulette.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
They are a very common tapa in Spain and quite delicious. About the size of a large jalapeno, but kinda wrinkly. They are blistered a bit on a grill or pan and eaten whole, including skin and seeds. In Spain they are pretty mild. My wife found seeds in the UK and some of them are smoking hot. We’re a bit scared of them now, you’ll eat 3 or 4 mild ones and then the next one can almost ruin your night. Kinda like Spanish roulette.
TMHKhmo0PEICI.gif

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Sounds similar to a shishito pepper.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
There have been single tomatoes come off, but this is the first "batch" worth picking. Not bad for post snow fall. Pepper plant has a couple legitimate Bells now too. This year might not be a totally wasted effort, after all.
20200928_175848.jpg

Fucking squirrel got one of my big boy tomatoes. :mad:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Still no frost here yet, somehow. So all my plants are still going, though the 'maters are literally hanging by a thread.

Kinda sucks with the weather turning crap, the one jalapeño plant have probably 50 peppers on it, but they are small. Will probably pickle most of them.

The thyme plant is going strong.

Basil - full bush almost but it is starting to hurt with the chilly tempts and low sun. Any tips on what to do with the remainder of the plant? Just cook it up? Preserve some how?

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
You can also just blend basil with olive oil and freeze in icecube trays (and decant) for longer term storage