Quantcast

2020 Racing

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
i generally despise crowds too. but large groups of rowdy DH fans are ok.

also SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH
This ^^^

Even though I wish we'd been able to work in a little more riding, the Snowshoe WC last year was hands down the most baller "sporting event" I have ever been to. It's pretty damn amazing to see pros ride shit that is damn near incomprehensible in person, and then get to exchange cigarettes and beverages of unknown alcohol content with the same dudes (and to a lesser extent dudettes) after the race.

Aspirational bucket list item for me is see one in Yurp, make @buckoW drink untold quantities of scotch and enjoy the warm hospitality of a bougie euro resort jail.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This ^^^

Even though I wish we'd been able to work in a little more riding, the Snowshoe WC last year was hands down the most baller "sporting event" I have ever been to. It's pretty damn amazing to see pros ride shit that is damn near incomprehensible in person, and then get to exchange cigarettes and beverages of unknown alcohol content with the same dudes (and to a lesser extent dudettes) after the race.

Aspirational bucket list item for me is see one in Yurp, make @buckoW drink untold quantities of scotch and enjoy the warm hospitality of a bougie euro resort jail.
I've been to at least 4 WCs and have never not ridden.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
No, but then I despise crowds
You don't watch from the finish area so it's not super crowded and still super fun.

Also I'm going with my other half, she is a huge fan of downhill racing but she does not really ride so it also sucks for her. For that reason we were going sans bike. I'll probably rent a bike for a day or two but I can't say "suck it" to my gf and spend all that time riding. Thankfully, I have a good list of alternate shit to do.

It's a bummer though since I went here instead of going to my aunt in la palma, where I would be riding and GF would be spending time with animals while not paying for lodging since she owns a nice place.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
my kids take great delight in placing extra emphasis on the french word for seal.
I loooooove asking my kids in french "what's that animal" when we're at the nature museum and there's a group of anglophones around us... the look on their faces... that shit never gets old!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Still remember the day in french class when the teacher told us that word. She was a little apprehensive about it...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You're converting to flats in 2020? Did Gary blackmail you?
ha no. on my way to the snowshoe WC last year i realized i forgot my clipless shoes so had to stop and get a pair of flat pedals so i'd be able to ride. not really being used to them, i managed to smash my big toe in between the pedal and a rock.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
I loooooove asking my kids in french "what's that animal" when we're at the nature museum and there's a group of anglophones around us... the look on their faces... that shit never gets old!
hahaha This is my little family at the Vancouver Aquarium. My 4 yr old yelling "phoque" at the top of his lungs.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I wish they had a date for when they postponed the worldcup in Lousa. If other events can do it why not here?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So if the entire rest of the season for all DH gets cancelled do we just name the Hannah's World Champs?

:D

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Back on topic, EWS affected too: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ews-rounds-1-and-2-postponed.html

I wonder if this means that domestic race series will flourish this year?
As an aside - this totally sucks for all the privateers. Travel Insurance generally doesn't cover pandemics (WHO declared it as such now), so if privateers have organized leave, airfares and accommodation they're screwed. I know a lot of airlines are allowing free rescheduling of flights, so a postponed event could still work out for some privateers. But the new dates might clash with other races or work/family commitments and whatnot.

I dunno how many Monkeys travel for races (hell at this stage, I'm pretty sure RM is just fat snowbikes with Trust forks and e-bike Boomer Scooters), but an EWS round including flights and accommodation is an expensive thing to aim for and then have cancelled.

I'm nervously watching the Trans Madeira crew for an update myself right now, but if that gets killed by the Wu-Flu then I'm out of pocket about $5K AUD unless they reschedule to a date I can make. I could possibly save some money on the flights and reschedule those to another event though - but who knows. I haven't been planning to do an EWS so I don't have enough points to get into one, although I could do the EWS 100 or EWS80 for fun, or I could just have a riding holiday once the coronavirus situation is more under control.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
life is unfair sometimes. local health officials demand a complete italy style lockdown for berlin right now, and you still complaining about some races...

get a grip and suck it up.
Settle down mate. This isn't some race to see who's worse off in the world. Just mentioning it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
As an aside - this totally sucks for all the privateers. Travel Insurance generally doesn't cover pandemics (WHO declared it as such now), so if privateers have organized leave, airfares and accommodation they're screwed. I know a lot of airlines are allowing free rescheduling of flights, so a postponed event could still work out for some privateers. But the new dates might clash with other races or work/family commitments and whatnot.

I dunno how many Monkeys travel for races (hell at this stage, I'm pretty sure RM is just fat snowbikes with Trust forks and e-bike Boomer Scooters), but an EWS round including flights and accommodation is an expensive thing to aim for and then have cancelled.

I'm nervously watching the Trans Madeira crew for an update myself right now, but if that gets killed by the Wu-Flu then I'm out of pocket about $5K AUD unless they reschedule to a date I can make. I could possibly save some money on the flights and reschedule those to another event though - but who knows. I haven't been planning to do an EWS so I don't have enough points to get into one, although I could do the EWS 100 or EWS80 for fun, or I could just have a riding holiday once the coronavirus situation is more under control.
Airlines allow free rescheduling but you have to reschedule to a specific date BEFORE your flight date which means that for races without a specific date they are still screwed.

As for Madeira - Hope for the local authorities not to go crazy. The Island is fairly separated from the mainland and the tourists are not party crowds but hikers and such. The outbreak in Portugal is near Porto but Imho Trans Madeira is so far away people will stop going crazy by then. They will cancel everything for 2-4 weeks then realize 60milion people in US alone got Swine Flu (and 12.5k died) and we didn't go batshit then.

But yeah overall it's a huge blow to privateers and if this takes longer it will hurt the sport as a whole.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
life is unfair sometimes. local health officials demand a complete italy style lockdown for berlin right now, and you still complaining about some races...

get a grip and suck it up.
To be honest being on lockdown not on holidays would probably annoy me less than not having holidays. As long as you work from home it's just an annoyance. Though shouldn't Berlin be resistant to everything already? KitKat probably tests people's immunity better than being drowned in bat soup.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
the 2 main clusters here originated both in clubs, so that’s that.
Not really surprising. The logical response would be to close clubs not the city. Ffs it's not a surprise it's where it spread but it's not like you should close an art gallery because surprisingly diseases spread fast at orgies.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
your comments here and on pinkbike on this topic are quite premature. that egoistic thinking is exactly why italy is on lockdown now.

1584023710646.jpeg

take a loooooong look on this diagram and try to understand it, mr "but i want to enjoy my holiday, fuck old people"

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
your comments here and on pinkbike on this topic are quite premature. that egoistic thinking is exactly why italy is on lockdown now.

View attachment 141891

take a loooooong look on this diagram and try to understand it, mr "but i want to enjoy my holiday, fuck old people"
Sorry if in anger I made it seem I was against containment measures, I'm not. I'm not saying fuck old people. I was angry at 2 things - people saying the event was cancelled when we didn't have any confirmation and when preventive measures were mostly random. Now I'm all up for preventive measures. The virus has spread. Containment is a good idea and I'm supporting it. I was angry when the idea was to randomly do it only when a select local official felt pressure. Now it's done everywhere and it makes much more sense. It simply annoyed me one mass event was cancelled, another wasn't. Since now almost everything is cancelled it feels less like a randomly selected event to calm people down.

I'm all up for containment. Preventive measures are good. Also didn't you say you have it worse because Berlin may be under containment? Since if by your logic me complaining = me being against preventive measures this means you were against them too?

And yeah I was pissed that my holidays were cancelled. It's a good reason to be pissed. Doesn't mean I don't support containment. In the same way I was angry the last time I had to wear a cast. Doesn't mean I'm against wearing casts when needed. Doesn't change they don't make me happy.

PS. My GF's coworker suggested they should all buy live chickens...

Last edited: