Quantcast

2020 Racing

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah, but during the era of that cannondale bike, everyone was just throwing shit against the wall to see what stuck.

The bottom one on the other hand, there is no excuse, suspension was pretty well sorted by then. That bullshit had no place on a bike. Same with that Scott pull-shock BS.
So what you're saying is that I have presented two photos that exhibit a clear, long spanning bracketing of what could be called 'trying shit'. Or in other parlance 'experimentation'.

Just making sure I've got that right.

Because the second word in your post starts with 'but' for some reason ;)

Last edited:

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Both bikes were designed by the same guy, Peter Denk. The damper used by the Millyard bike and the one developed by that crazy German guy who ships a spatula with every stem he sells operate under the same principles.
Where did that Millyard technology end up going? Apparently the damper was the beez neez.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Turns out the guy who made the dampers for Allen Millyard is the same guy behind Nitro Shox. I read it in an interview with some British site.
EDIT: It was in Singletrack:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_0XM1pH1ZF/
Apparently he did not make them for Millyard. They started out together, but split up pretty much immediately. They only use the same idea and know each other as stated by Millyard. Millyard does build his own shocks. In fact he just threw together a new Trunnion mount shock for his son´s Transition Sentinel a few days ago, according to instagram.

Nitro Shox have replied to me on PB a few days ago that they are waiting for the lockdown to pass and are ready to hand the redesigned shock out to test riders. Maybe we get another super secret spyshot when eurobike rolls around :ph34r::no:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Apparently he did not make them for Millyard. They started out together, but split up pretty much immediately. They only use the same idea and know each other as stated by Millyard. Millyard does build his own shocks. In fact he just threw together a new Trunnion mount shock for his son´s Transition Sentinel a few days ago, according to instagram.

Nitro Shox have replied to me on PB a few days ago that they are waiting for the lockdown to pass and are ready to hand the redesigned shock out to test riders. Maybe we get another super secret spyshot when eurobike rolls around :ph34r::no:
The interview I mentioned earlier made me think Allen had the Nitro Shox guy making his dampers, since he was quoted saying something like "this mad scientist tank suspension guru lives down my street, he did the shock and was unbelievable" or something like that. It kinda puzzled me, since I recalled that old piece in MBR from when the Millyard bike was launched stating Allen made his own shocks.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
I just looked into it a few days ago and found a newer statement from him explicitly saying they have nothing to do with each other, except working together breifly in the beginning. Makes sense in a way because it took Millyard about a day to build a functioning shock, whereas the Nitro guys have been at it for about 10 years and haven´t gotten anywhere :D
It may also just be him dinstancing him from his friends and their business because he has no reason to be associated with their company at this point anymore and wants them to be able to do their own thing.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers

leogang world cup is still happening
Logistics going beyond just one race -- 40-ish Teams with minimum 5 per traveling, in reality more like 7-10. A spouse here and there. 1000 people. And that's w/o Junior Teams.
F1 Racing is going to hold a GP, Silverstone in England, w/ no spectators. Also dumb.
There's nothing to prove here. If social media were never a thing and there being neo-maxi-zoom-dweebies to be influenced, these type-things - like a DH Bike race or a Grand Prix behind closed doors - would not even enter anyone's thoughts.
Red Bull gives you Liiizzzarrds...

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
As of now the law states that bikeparks (or specifically gondolas) in Austria aren´t allowed to open/operate till July.
Bikeparks are simply claiming they´ll open due to the fact that the government has stated that hotels will be allowed to open on May 29th, so the parks/gondolas assume they´ll be granted permission as well because they´re kinda relevant to the tourism industry. It´s definitely not set in stone yet that the opening will be happening on May 29th though. AFAIK no politician has yet even spoken about gondola openings or what specific conditions this would include. Even the president of the austrian gondola association has uttered his frustration about the situation as late as two days ago. That´s why some parks have made this claim and others have not anounced anything yet.

Austria definitely wants to open up as quickly as possible due to the huge tourism sector, but there´s also a lot to lose by going too fast. How they expect to get an international event done with pretty much any other nation being considered a high risk area is something i cannot yet wrap my head around.

Whatever it´ll be, if the parks do in fact open on the 29th, i´ll be enjoying two weeks of park riding without any tourists on track cause the german border will only open june 15th. :banana:

Last edited:

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
I actually like those two race weekends. I don´t know why, but i do.
Should be a lot of fun, especially since there´s now effectively a chance for your two favorite riders to win on the same track. If nothing else it´ll show us how consistent wc riders really are.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pretty sweet and should be fun mixing it up like this. Still, a lot of things needs to line up for this to work, including the lifting of 14-day quarantine, etc. Great to get these on the calendar regardless though.