Quantcast

2020 Racing

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Am I the only one disappointed that sethimus didn't say that even without fans Leogang would have more people there than a US venue? The guy is slipping in his dotage.
Those fans are paid actors. Artificial crowds to hide the dh worthy (LOL) middle part of the track with jumps made by aerspace engineering(tm)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
every vid i see of that wildbad makes me love it even more. i would love to see the pros ride it. and to ride (i mean, pick my way down it timidly) myself.
Schladming > Wildbad any day of the week. Schlad is faster and rowdier. Wildbad has big rocks but Schladming is just fun

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Lenzeheide seems like it will happen since they are opening the bike park soon so there is hope for some bike zoom zoom

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The Hannahs won their respective Crankworx DH races in Rotorua earlier this year, so in a silly way, they're "world champs". If they really do shit can the whole season, it sucks to miss out on what was likely to be an epic women's battle (even without Tahney).
Which is why I'd posted that originally, I know you won't mind Tracey in rainbow stripes ;)

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Which is why I'd posted that originally, I know you won't mind Tracey in rainbow stripes ;)
Indeed, long live the Queen! :wub:

Not that it matters now apparently, but I wonder what they would've done if they had got say 4 or 5 races in and then had it to call it off? Points leader at the end of the abbreviated season is the overall champ? Or just say no one is the champ?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ho-ly-shit... Anybody noticed how flexy that 29er rear wheel was? I hope it was just lack of proper maintenace, if not I'm cementing my decision of never ever throwing a leg again those abominations...
I've noticed The Noodling™ under many WC racers on wagon wheels.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Inside a German ad agency:

"So guys, we want to make some marketing videos for our overweight E-bike, but everybody will be able to tell that it handles like shit and it will just look awkward."

"Not if we let the rider appear comically overweight and blame it on his fatness. It will be what the kids call "funny"".

I'm glad Fischbach is making a few bucks especially this year, but ugh.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
ho-ly-shit... Anybody noticed how flexy that 29er rear wheel was? I hope it was just lack of proper maintenace, if not I'm cementing my decision of never ever throwing a leg again those abominations...
I *think* an almost completely detensioned rear wheel was part of the entertainment, but yeah, I kept cringing for fear of it exploding at any second.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
The seasons a wash. I’m surprised they’re still holding out hope for any racing happening this year.
TBH, it's not clear to me that next year will be doable either since it seems unlikely there will be a vaccine widely available soon enough or things will tamp down enough worldwide for it to be considered "safe".

Perhaps they could just assume everyone will have to quarantine at every venue (assuming said destination country even permits international travel), but damn, that's a lot of waiting around for the racers and teams. Or hell, just have the whole season in France :phone:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
TBH, it's not clear to me that next year will be doable either since it seems unlikely there will be a vaccine widely available soon enough or things will tamp down enough worldwide for it to be considered "safe".

Perhaps they could just assume everyone will have to quarantine at every venue (assuming said destination country even permits international travel), but damn, that's a lot of waiting around for the racers and teams. Or hell, just have the whole season in France :phone:
there could be a world cup for the science following nations and one for the shit hole nations including he usa :happydance:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Are big time team sports happening anywhere? (I'm too American to google it.)

It sounds like the science is starting to point toward infection via air, not just droplets, so I'm thinking yea - everything's fucked until the vaccine.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Are big time team sports happening anywhere? (I'm too American to google it.)

It sounds like the science is starting to point toward infection via air, not just droplets, so I'm thinking yea - everything's fucked until the vaccine.
Proper football in some European countries has been underway for a couple of weeks. No fans in stadiums.

Formula 1 race last weekend and this coming weekend, again no fans.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I *think* an almost completely detensioned rear wheel was part of the entertainment, but yeah, I kept cringing for fear of it exploding at any second.
you guys sure that was the wheel and not the rear triangle? I rode lower porc behind a buddy on an intense (tracer I think?) back in the day of 26" wheels and I swear to Dog I thought his frame was cracked. his rear wheel looked like a flag flapping in the wind. but the wheel was fine, it was just rear triangle flex.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
If next season ends up being cancelled, I wonder what will happen to sponsorships. A handfull of riders have continued to put out content (or started to get edits/channels together) that benefits their sponsors, but most riders seem to rely purely on racing. I might be missing what happens at a local level, but I have a pro rider in the same town and I see no local presence or media output. Bikes are selling like hotcakes and local trailz are busy, maybe an opportunity until racing gets back to normal.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
If next season ends up being cancelled, I wonder what will happen to sponsorships. A handfull of riders have continued to put out content (or started to get edits/channels together) that benefits their sponsors, but most riders seem to rely purely on racing. I might be missing what happens at a local level, but I have a pro rider in the same town and I see no local presence or media output. Bikes are selling like hotcakes and local trailz are busy, maybe an opportunity until racing gets back to normal.
its called getting a new job, like the rest of us

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Would be sort of interesting to get a small number of riders together and do something like the Athertons/Hardline. Film it, then commentate after the fact.

Big UCI style stuff with people flying in from all over, spectators, etc... doesn’t make sense and won’t for a while probably.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Anybody see what they did with supercross? 17 round season was paused at round 10. They just crammed 7 races in at one venue in 3 weeks, in a 'bubble' (everyone tested, retested if leaving the area) two races per week, no crowds, physical distancing with masks. They were able to mess with the track enough to keep it interesting.

They gotter dun. You could do this somewhere like canada. 3 races at whistler, 3 at sun peaks or some other more inland parks. Most decent sized bike parks have enough trails you could mix up some courses. Same applies to european parks. Obviously the least travel the better.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Anybody see what they did with supercross? 17 round season was paused at round 10. They just crammed 7 races in at one venue in 3 weeks, in a 'bubble' (everyone tested, retested if leaving the area) two races per week, no crowds, physical distancing with masks. They were able to mess with the track enough to keep it interesting.

They gotter dun. You could do this somewhere like canada. 3 races at whistler, 3 at sun peaks or some other more inland parks. Most decent sized bike parks have enough trails you could mix up some courses. Same applies to european parks. Obviously the least travel the better.
the issue right now is that any WC's that happen in the EU will exclude american riders re: travel restrictions