Quantcast

2020 Racing

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
The pessimist in me thinks that travel restriction rules would be bent for professional athletes, but I sure hope not.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The pessimist in me thinks that travel restriction rules would be bent for professional athletes, but I sure hope not.
They already are. How do you think F1 is operating?

Most only ban “non essential” personnel, I’d bet mountain bike racing could be done without crowds if there were the financial will to do so. That’s the sticking point, F1 has private jet money, MTB racers barely have private van money, hard to get anywhere when commercial passenger flights aren’t running.

Maybe borrow Greta Thunbergs sailboat and put a North Shore rack on the stern? Transit time would count as self quarantine

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We got enderpo race tomorrow night. Food truck will be on-site, timing via strava, riders sent in 1 minute intervals, 3 or 4 segments.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We got enderpo race tomorrow night. Food truck will be on-site, timing via strava, riders sent in 1 minute intervals, 3 or 4 segments.
And evidently I'm helping out and collecting the times now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sounds like a good time. Where are you guys doing it? I used to love riding bikes in AK and meeting all kinds of cool people doing it.
What bike are you gonna run? Blow some suckas doors off on the fatbike?
Trails we built and opened in 2018, on the Hillside next to Hilltop ski area, they are dedicated directional DH trails with features (plus a dedicated "up" trail). Some are flow, some are tech, one is mixed. Nothing huge, but enough that you can get good use of an AM type bike. The RFX is for sure the rig. I made the mistake last year of putting on my air shock for "faster pedaling" and couldn't stick to a nasty off-camber root section. Not making that mistake again. I can hold my own on the fatbike in gravel races, but no one is riding a hardtail at speed on some of these. The owner of Fatback Bikes is putting it on (also sells Kona, Yeti, RM, Pivot, and a few others). The strava concept is that timing for an enduro is extremely complicated with "stages", yet defining the stages in strava and having everyone just record their ride yields times for all segments and is fairly easy to record. It looks like we've been able to overcome the inherent issues and this is not meant to be some crazy precise deal, more of a grassroots fun deal. I think it's limited to 50 people.

Last year:
67255881_2893085827384445_6487519809658421248_o.jpg

Last edited:

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
BC already said they wouldn't bend the rules for the NHL when Vancouver was in the running to be one of the bubble cities, so no way they are going to bend any rules for a bunch of kids on bicycles. This rules out Kidwoo's idea of a multi race series around BC.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Bubbles or not, in Jesse's video no one in the start hut or finish had a mask on. Are they really going to prevent the spread of it, if someone had the corona?

Also curious about those trails. Is that a bike park or public type trails? Because they look trashed. I'm not a weather nazi, but do race series like these do any post-race maintenance or do they just pack up and leave?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Bubbles or not, in Jesse's video no one in the start hut or finish had a mask on. Are they really going to prevent the spread of it, if someone had the corona?

Also curious about those trails. Is that a bike park or public type trails? Because they look trashed. I'm not a weather nazi, but do race series like these do any post-race maintenance or do they just pack up and leave?
Usually the race organizers have to have a plan in place to restore the trails. This is part of their event permit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
jesse's pov vid is much better than the pb "highlights" one, which looks like a bunch of joeys picking their way down a mediocre trail.
Given the number of top tier riders that couldn't be in attendance, there were in fact additional Joey's picking their way down.

And mediocre trail? That is the spirit of Enduro