Quantcast

2020 speculation thread

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I'd love to know the percentage of americans who don't possess ID.

"11 percent of voting-age Americans did not have current government-issued photo ID. Among African Americans, 25 percent did not have such ID, compared to 8 percent of whites."

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's not always about not possessing, I couldn't register to vote or do anything in the State of AK without an "AK ID". To get an AK DL, they wouldn't accept my federal ID. So when I was 8 and my SS card was laminated, that somehow made it invalid and couldn't be used for verification. So then I had to go through a bunch of BS of getting a notarized or whatever BC from the hospital I was born at and waiting for that to arrive, go to the SS office and make appointments to gt a new card, ultimately having to jump through a bunch of ridiculous hoops that in this day and age are frankly all bullshit, to get a State DL (ID). I'm sure if they arrested me, they'd have no problem figuring out who I was. And again, this is while I had a freaking federal ID. We are going to go through the same bullshit train again with the "Real ID", where despite having a federal ID that already meets the "Real ID" requirements, I have to present a passport and other bullshit pieces of verification...rather than just show them my "already fucking Real ID" and get an AK "Real ID" compliant DL made from that.

Now pretend that I take care of kids, or don't have a car, or live somewhere remote...you can see how this goes.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
It's not always about not possessing, I couldn't register to vote or do anything in the State of AK without an "AK ID". To get an AK DL, they wouldn't accept my federal ID. So when I was 8 and my SS card was laminated, that somehow made it invalid and couldn't be used for verification. So then I had to go through a bunch of BS of getting a notarized or whatever BC from the hospital I was born at and waiting for that to arrive, go to the SS office and make appointments to gt a new card, ultimately having to jump through a bunch of ridiculous hoops that in this day and age are frankly all bullshit, to get a State DL (ID). I'm sure if they arrested me, they'd have no problem figuring out who I was. And again, this is while I had a freaking federal ID. We are going to go through the same bullshit train again with the "Real ID", where despite having a federal ID that already meets the "Real ID" requirements, I have to present a passport and other bullshit pieces of verification...rather than just show them my "already fucking Real ID" and get an AK "Real ID" compliant DL made from that.

Now pretend that I take care of kids, or don't have a car, or live somewhere remote...you can see how this goes.
A state ID in maine is $5 and only requires documentation any marginally functional adult would possess.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

A state ID in maine is $5 and only requires documentation any marginally functional adult would possess.
It's still a fucked up requirement.
It also points out the great disparity between state requirements to even get an ID. I doubt it's much of a coincidence in these two examples above that the state that trends "blue" has the clearly easier way to get an ID than the state that trends "red".

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
It's still a fucked up requirement.
One can't take a book out of a library without ID, yet it's unreasonable for something as important as voting?

It also points out the great disparity between state requirements to even get an ID. I doubt it's much of a coincidence in these two examples above that the state that trends "blue" has the clearly easier way to get an ID than the state that trends "red".
Get away from Portland-area and maine and alaska have a lot of similarities (poverty, remoteness/isolation and 'red' leaning etc).
MA is a bureaucratic hellhole to get anything done.

Of all the suppression tactics, this seems like the easiest to solve.
Given the 'It's Rigged' mentality on both sides lately, it's also a reasonable way to stomp out that nonsense.
Hell, make ID's free for all I care.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
One can't take a book out of a library without ID, yet it's unreasonable for something as important as voting?

Get away from Portland-area and maine and alaska have a lot of similarities (poverty, remoteness/isolation and 'red' leaning etc).
MA is a bureaucratic hellhole to get anything done.

Of all the suppression tactics, this seems like the easiest to solve.
Given the 'It's Rigged' mentality on both sides lately, it's also a reasonable way to stomp out that nonsense.
Hell, make ID's free for all I care.
This is true in almost all states. Rural OR and WA are both incredibly conservative. So is Rural CO. So is rural CA (fuck you Devin Nunes). But it turns out that where people actually live tend to vote blue. In CO this means Denver and Boulder County carry the state. In OR this means Multnomah County and Lane County Carry the state, and so forth. As discussed previously, this is why the Electoral College is the largest and most pernicious voter suppression scheme run in this country.

If an ID is required to vote, ID's should be free. Else wise it is naught but a poll tax.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
As discussed previously, this is why the Electoral College is the largest and most pernicious voter suppression scheme run in this country.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

If an ID is required to vote, ID's should be free. Else wise it is naught but a poll tax.
I'll remember this next time additional, and costly, requirements to exercise 2a rights are proposed.
Which ironically impact the same people being defended/advocated for in arguments against ID requirements.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
until you go to vote for president and are told you have already voted when you have not....
Except that this pretty much never happens. Like, ever. Statistical Zero. Your chances of being hit by a meteor (0.000000625) compared to proven instances of voter fraud in 2016 (0.000002).

And when it does get proven, guess whose doing it?

I'd skew it a little differently, but close enough for horse shoes and hand grenades.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Except that this pretty much never happens. Like, ever. Statistical Zero. Your chances of being hit by a meteor (0.000000625) compared to proven instances of voter fraud in 2016 (0.000002).

And when it does get proven, guess whose doing it?

I'd skew it a little differently, but close enough for horse shoes and hand grenades.

i know a unicorn.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

Really, every single thing I've seen so far in this election buildup and in the last election & buildup from Bernie's team has been unrelentingly toxic while the old man presents a kindly leftwing old man face to the public.
It is so consistently toxic and vile that I do not believe that it can be anything other that a deliberate choice by the candidate..... not just supporters & employee's getting out of hand, but a deliberate choice by the candidate and his inner circle of advisors.

And I predict that he will happily fuck up any DNC chances out of spite if not elected AGAIN.
Good luck with your next Trump presidential term...... And it will be a Trump term.
Odds are good for this one being the last one with a pretense of "free & fair".

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I'll remember this next time additional, and costly, requirements to exercise 2a rights are proposed.
Which ironically impact the same people being defended/advocated for in arguments against ID requirements
Not quite sure how I missed this before, but It's pretty pathetic how no matter what is being discussed, somehow you manage to bring it back around to "muh guns!".

If someone starts a thread on "WHO subsidizing sub-Saharan farmers agriculture efforts", how long will it take you to turn it into "muh guns!"? 10 posts? 20?

Dan-o's law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of gun nut butt hurt approaches 1"
Is your masculinity really that fragile? :brow:

Happened to me for a state election.

But statistically no big deal, like school shootings.
An absolutely false comparison/narrative that you made. Micro /= Macro

"We studied all accidents involving Red Peugeots across America and have determined there is no auto-accident concern in this country" - NHSTA

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Not quite sure how I missed this before, but It's pretty pathetic how no matter what is being discussed, somehow you manage to bring it back around to "muh guns!".

If someone starts a thread on "WHO subsidizing sub-Saharan farmers agriculture efforts", how long will it take you to turn it into "muh guns!"? 10 posts? 20?

Dan-o's law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of gun nut butt hurt approaches 1"
Is your masculinity really that fragile? :brow:

An absolutely false comparison/narrative that you made. Micro /= Macro

"We studied all accidents involving Red Peugeots across America and have determined there is no auto-accident concern in this country" - NHSTA

Someone failed high school civics.

Or semi-automatic weapons?

Oops I did it again

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I also mentioned it because it's being argued that an ID is too onerous a requirement to exercise a Right.
Unless it's free, of course.
Yet these same people have no issue proposing/enacting huge hurdles to exercise another Right, because they don't like it.

Safe storage laws? Give me a safe (mine's full anyhow)
Required Training? give me a voucher
Liability Insurance? Sign me up but make sure everyone pays into pool, just like health insurance.

Plus it tied into your meteor analogy of statistical probability making taking action on something irrelevant.
Which was sarcasm, despite the joy I get from seeing dead kids.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I also mentioned it because it's being argued that an ID is too onerous a requirement to exercise a Right.
Unless it's free, of course.
Yet these same people have no issue proposing/enacting huge hurdles to exercise another Right, because they don't like it.

Safe storage laws? Give me a safe (mine's full anyhow)
Required Training? give me a voucher
Liability Insurance? Sign me up but make sure everyone pays into pool, just like health insurance.

Plus it tied into your meteor analogy of statistical probability making taking action on something irrelevant.
Which was sarcasm, despite the joy I get from seeing dead kids.
your ability to conflate issues never ceases to amaze.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
your ability to conflate issues never ceases to amaze.
It’s the same issue: What’s a reasonable restriction on a Right?

Can that same standard be objectively applied to other rights?

ID to vote, permit to assemble/protest, probable cause etc.

Conflating happens when things like social issues (poverty, racial history, privilege etc) are used to subjectively sway the argument.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
And I predict that he will happily fuck up any DNC chances out of spite if not elected AGAIN.
Good luck with your next Trump presidential term...... And it will be a Trump term.
Odds are good for this one being the last one with a pretense of "free & fair".
nail meet head.