Quantcast

2020 speculation thread

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So Haley listens to a lot of the same music that Wifey and I do, mostly mine because she spends a lot of time driving with me. That means a lot of punk. Now that she's starting to know a lot of it, she's been asking what the songs mean, so I tell her on some of them. One today was about people being left behind by the rich, so she asked me to explain that. She hears me and MIL discussing/debating Bernie/Warren vs. Biden, so she hears us talking about the super rich and healthcare already. I just gave her the 2nd grade level of the conversation.

I explained how much money a billion dollars is to Haley this morning and how much Bloomberg has spent on the election, compared to how much we have saved up (not giving #'s, duh). She knows that we are pretty well off, both based on where we live (our city), but where in our city we live, the fact that we have 5 cars (2 new), and we can for the most part get whatever we want - a lot of the kids in her school don't, so she realizes that she's on a different level (minus the kid whose mom has a Maserati). I explained how Bloomberg's $500mm spending on ads is the same as if we were to buy a pair of Apple earbuds. And that if you spend $1,000/hr, assuming 2% interest and 50% tax on the gains, you would never be able to spend it all. She, as a 7 y/o just went slack jawed and said that he needs to pay his share because it's not fair people sleep on the street and he has more than he can spend. A 7 y/o can figure this out. What the fuck is wrong with our country when fucking adults can't figure out simple concepts that a fucking 2nd grader can understand?
LiBeRaL iNdOcTrInAtIoN

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@stoney - as someone who grew up not well off (not poor, my parents had essentials covered but disposable income was a rarity) and who is reasonably well off currently (bootstrapped!), i have a strong appreciation for the kinds of social and economic safeguards i'm voting for. i was exposed to poverty growing up as well, and that was very impactful as well.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@stoney - as someone who grew up not well off (not poor, my parents had essentials covered but disposable income was a rarity) and who is reasonably well off currently (bootstrapped!), i have a strong appreciation for the kinds of social and economic safeguards i'm voting for. i was exposed to poverty growing up as well, and that was very impactful as well.
Agree. Living in a van made a big impact on me and honestly, there are parts of me that I can tell have been ingrained that never got beyond that point of having very limited income. I still struggle to pay people to do services that I can do on my own, even if I don't have the time to do them. Especially if it's something that I need to learn how to do in the process - I still do them on my own a lot.

There are studies that show people who grow up poor struggle to pay others for services they can perform and also struggle to take risk with investments. I have to fight myself to take chance with our money to grow it. I know I need to, I know why I need to , but I still struggle to.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I still struggle to pay people to do services that I can do on my own, even if I don't have the time to do them. Especially if it's something that I need to learn how to do in the process - I still do them on my own a lot.
i can relate to this a lot. i absolutely refuse to pay someone else to mow my lawn, a lot of the simpler things. There are definitely things I *could* do myself, or learn to do myself, but I will always research into it and make a determination whether or not it's worth my time to learn or just pay someone else.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
As someone that grew up poor, and who is a practically a fucking tycoon now (thank you reasonably-priced university education!), the "I got mine, so everybody else can too" attitude of people really pisses me off.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Or maybe, and I know might be talking crazy, but just maybe you guys aren't dead eyed fucking sociopathic bullies who need to punch down and blame their every failure on a poor and/or different looking or acting person from you. It might be that you're decent people for whom the system actually worked, capable of empathy who recognize that everything isnt perfect and we can improve the world for everyone.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Edit: Both of those articles are years old now. NOTHING has changed and near as I can tell. They have learned nothing and are doubling down on it. The DNC has decided that party>country. "Vote for our candidate and shut up proles! We know better than you!"

Though to be fair, ignoring their own post-election loss summary and doubling down on stupid seemed to work for the GOP after mittens lost in 2012, sooooo.........Who knows?
watch donna brazile lose her shit....essentially being called out....finger waving and all...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Or maybe, and I know might be talking crazy, but just maybe you guys aren't dead eyed fucking sociopathic bullies who need to punch down and blame their every failure on a poor and/or different looking or acting person from you. It might be that you're decent people for whom the system actually worked, capable of empathy who recognize that everything isnt perfect and we can improve the world for everyone.
Sounds like a reach

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
nope. I've met these guys too. they're just dicks.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm sure that it was as full of assholes in their time.
Agreed. Pretty sure the world was chock full of assholes, is chock full of assholes, and will always be chock full of assholes. Eons and eons off assholery, and I'm sure humanity will continue to one-up its addiction to assholeishness until we wipe our asshole selves off of this planet.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Woof, sanders lost MA. And biden overperformed in VT. Will be interesting to see california. Joementum? Get me some more dank memes, jon.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Woof, sanders lost MA. And biden overperformed in VT. Will be interesting to see california. Joementum? Get me some more dank memes, jon.
Warren took ~5-10% more in MA than anywhere else. She took the spread from Bernie. She really needs to step out for the Progressives to Bernie.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I don't think Bernie is capable of pulling in Independents and moderate GOPers that can't stomach Trump because the Democrats are going to need them to beat that sitting asshole.
He just pulled down UT in a big way.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
On a related note to the Election.

We had a choice, Paper Ballot or electronic touch screen here in the City of Livermore ,Alameda County, Calif where most of the residents either work at or did work at The Livermore National Laboratory . While I was there at least 50 people voted and not one chose the electronic touch screen. I would venture to say no one trusted not having a paper trail. I know I didn't

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
On a related note to the Election.

We had a choice, Paper Ballot or electronic touch screen here in the City of Livermore ,Alameda County, Calif where most of the residents either work at or did work at The Livermore National Laboratory . While I was there at least 50 people voted and not one chose the electronic touch screen. I would venture to say no one trusted not having a paper trail. I know I didn't
My entire state just switched back to a paper system.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't think Bernie is capable of pulling in Independents and moderate GOPers that can't stomach Trump because the Democrats are going to need them to beat that sitting asshole.
he's more capable of pulling in the votes of people under 40, and at this point that is arguably more important than independents and moderate R's

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This. Gen Y and Millennials aren't passionate about Biden like they are Bernie. They won't come out for him. Which means the Democrats will lose all the way down the ticket too. Republicans will stay in charge through the census reallocation of seats.

Party's over guys. Democracy was a great experiment.