Quantcast

2020 speculation thread

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Well, it was certainly a good night for Democrats who think that the reason Clinton lost was she just didn't represent the establishment enough.

Pretty much a two way race now. Knives out!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
This. Gen Y and Millennials aren't passionate about Biden like they are Bernie. They won't come out for him. Which means the Democrats will lose all the way down the ticket too. Republicans will stay in charge through the census reallocation of seats.

Party's over guys. Democracy was a great experiment.
lol.
Bernie isn’t even matching the support he had in 2016.

e: I can’t find the WaPo graphic that shows how, despite his claims of drumming up youth and overall turnout, that numbers have been significantly down versus 2016.

The performance of Sanders and Warren yesterday give a pretty clear indicator of how America feels. IMO Bernie bro’s are mistaking being loud for being widely supported.

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
lol.
Bernie isn’t even matching the support he had in 2016.

e: I can’t find the WaPo graphic that shows how, despite his claims of drumming up youth and overall turnout, that numbers have been significantly down versus 2016.

The performance of Sanders and Warren yesterday give a pretty clear indicator of how America feels. IMO Bernie bro’s are mistaking being loud for being widely supported.
Bernie is winning CA and not all the votes are in. He lost to Hillary here last go around. Biden's gears are severely slipping just listening to him speak. Bernie with all his past health problems is still sharp as a tack. That being said, I think Biden has risen from the election dead.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
nothing, at as long as your not eating there numerous times a week.
I stopped at a McDonald's last summer, probably the first time in 5 years as I was starving before playing a few Wednesday night softball games. Felt like shit 30 min afterwards, but at least I was able to enjoy it for the first 29 min. They're fries are pretty tasty though.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Bernie is winning CA and not all the votes are in. He lost to Hillary here last go around. Biden's gears are severely slipping just listening to him speak. Bernie with all his past health problems is still sharp as a tack. That being said, I think Biden has risen from the election dead.
Brian - are you okay? Did you hit your head yesterday?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I give zero fucks if a politician is a good public speaker/debater etc. In my ideal world we’d never have to listen to them, they’d just do their fucking job in the background like a good public minion.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I was looking for this too. There was an article floating in my googler feed this morning about "youth" vote being way down in a number of states. Though in texas the wait times didn't help.

The fact is that the Sanders campaign HAS to have people under 30 turn out. If they aren't he's dead in the water.

Not if the only thing you value is your own self importance. He’s a statist fuck who thinks his wealth allows him to make the rules.
All of these guys, Steyer, Yang, Bloomberg. The "I have money!"=elect-ability argument can fuck right off. Oligarchy in the shadows is gross enough without it being shoved in everyone's faces.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Not the one I saw earlier, but the same point:

I presume that these same "Youth voters" will now be up in arms about the system being rigged.

If we want to talk about how the system is failing, we should probably start with the dismantling of Civics education.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not the one I saw earlier, but the same point:

I presume that these same "Youth voters" will now be up in arms about the system being rigged.

If we want to talk about how the system is failing, we should probably start with the dismantling of Civics education.
voting, even in primaries, should be done on the weekend, or made a holiday.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
give him one term....he will do his best to make your job obsolete....
Bring back pensions. Please. I can do a large portion of my job from that side very easily. I'm 90% salary because I work with govt employees. A big portion of my comp for 2020 will be based on customer surveys. As long as I keep doing the right thing for people, which I already do, I'll be just fine.

I've actually contemplated moving to PERA, which is the CO state pension plan. I can do just as much of what I do currently there, but doing it for a pension, so zero drive for getting people into it (vs. a 401k, 457, or 403b). That being said, I push people into those because there are no pensions and the need to have another way to save; SS and what limited pensions exist aren't enough to retire on.

edit: I could easily make $100k/yr more if I was willing to give up my morals to sell insurance or expensive products. I refuse to do it, so I don't.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I was looking for this too. There was an article floating in my googler feed this morning about "youth" vote being way down in a number of states. Though in texas the wait times didn't help.

The fact is that the Sanders campaign HAS to have people under 30 turn out. If they aren't he's dead in the water.

All of these guys, Steyer, Yang, Bloomberg. The "I have money!"=elect-ability argument can fuck right off. Oligarchy in the shadows is gross enough without it being shoved in everyone's faces.
Yang brought universal basic income to the forefront as a topic. That's all he needed to do and likely was his goal. Streyer brought environmental protection into the conversation in a large way. Surely they both knew they were fucked, but were able to bring important topics to national podiums.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Yang brought universal basic income to the forefront as a topic. That's all he needed to do and likely was his goal. Streyer brought environmental protection into the conversation in a large way. Surely they both knew they were fucked, but were able to bring important topics to national podiums.
I'll give Yang kudos for making UBI a dinner table topic. We're only going to be talking about this more, in the future.

Remember when Jay Inslee was a candidate? He brought environmental issues to the table (actually the only thing he brought to the table) and is an actual not-oligarch, and governor of a largish state. Maybe he could have had more stage time for his causes if he wasn't having to compete against the "I have money, look at me!" candidates. I don't think the democrats need to convince voters that they are the party of environmental protection.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i tried watching bloombergs townhall before he quit.......fuck.....i can see him being more hated than trump.