Quantcast

2021 racing rumors

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife just told me Gee Atherton has nearly killed himself (I presume in a crash). Airlifted to hospital with everything on him broken.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Healing vibes to the Geeman. He is a beast on the bike. Hopefully he has a reasonable recovery. I hope he eases back after this. Guy has nothing left to prove at this point. I can't think of anyone that can compare when it comes to hitting insane stuff at such speed.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
What amazes me is the mental strength these athletes must have to come back from such big injuries. Respect!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
thats like half of your average freedom™ holidays just for 2 races. spend it well
Lodging at Snowshoe for that period is so expensive that it is also about half the average annual pay for a professional bike racer.

At least there aren’t any privateers left to take issue with that?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Lodging at Snowshoe for that period is so expensive that it is also about half the average annual pay for a professional bike racer.

At least there aren’t any privateers left to take issue with that?
Wow, I just checked and you're right. Cheapest is a dumpy condo @ $260/night up to $1000+/night for a house!

WTF, isn't this WV? Don't they take opioids and gut rot whiskey as payment anymore?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Wow, I just checked and you're right. Cheapest is a dumpy condo @ $260/night up to $1000+/night for a house!

WTF, isn't this WV? Don't they take opioids and gut rot whiskey as payment anymore?
Perhaps related to the resort needing to pay off the UCI mafia?

The pro move would be to rent a place for a night or 2 on the weekends, then go camp at a relatively nearby park and ride some of the goods in and around western VA. I'm sure @Westy could help out with rides around Stokesville & Blacksburg, and where to score the best meth/rebel flag gear.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Perhaps related to the resort needing to pay off the UCI mafia?

The pro move would be to rent a place for a night or 2 on the weekends, then go camp at a relatively nearby park and ride some of the goods in and around western VA. I'm sure @Westy could help out with rides around Stokesville & Blacksburg, and where to score the best meth/rebel flag gear.
I think the reason that the megacorp that owns Snowshoe choses that resort over one of the many other ones they own that most people would rather go to is because it’s in the middle of nowhere and they own the greatest percentage of lodging and food options.
The mountaintop resort makes it easier than just about anywhere else to force people to pay for access too.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
I think the reason that the megacorp that owns Snowshoe choses that resort over one of the many other ones they own that most people would rather go to is because it’s in the middle of nowhere and they own the greatest percentage of lodging and food options.
The mountaintop resort makes it easier than just about anywhere else to force people to pay for access too.
Nah, there's no way megacorp would do something like that

That said, have you been to Whistler? Not a whole lot of options there either for events like Crankworx. But you're definitely right that SS is in middle of BF Egypt, but I don't honestly know if thats any different than somewhere like MSA or Leogang.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I love Hardline. There's obviously nothing comparable to World Cups, but Hardline is the next best thing by far.

Yeah, Kerr's crash didn't seem "that bad" on the POV footage, but it sounds like he did hurt himself pretty badly. I think his answer when the first person asked if he was OK was "I don't know". That says a lot for these guys.

Much respect to him to keep on with the race on this track after destroying his helmet and getting all bruised up like that.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Reece Wilson has a pretty bright future ahead of him as a commentator when he'll be done winning World Championships. I think he did an excellent job commenting Hardline.