Quantcast

2021 racing rumors

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
UCI Team rider list for 2021

Syndicate down to just 2 riders while Commencal is going with 14 riders split between 4 separate DH teams

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Commencal have been killing it on sales based on the bikes a see around here, especially dh bikes. I mean, I have access to wholesale pricing on quite a few brands and bought a commencal at 10% off retail.
It's like a self fulfilling prophecy, the bike is good, so riders do well on it, so people buy it (it's also well specified and priced) so commencal have money, so they get good riders, repeat.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
^it's a solid model. i love the fact that they've shown you don't need 5-figure uber-carbon tech to build top tier competitive bikes. i :heart: my (relatively) pedestrian commencal.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Commencal have been killing it on sales based on the bikes a see around here, especially dh bikes. I mean, I have access to wholesale pricing on quite a few brands and bought a commencal at 10% off retail.
It's like a self fulfilling prophecy, the bike is good, so riders do well on it, so people buy it (it's also well specified and priced) so commencal have money, so they get good riders, repeat.
The new M1 or the new Sunday.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
The new M1 or the new Sunday.
I think the Sunday is a really good analogy, not that expensive and great performance, possibly the best that can be had.
The M1 was probably the best of the time but it wasn't cheap was it? I was too young and poor to even look at pricing back then.
I had Sundays in '07 and' 08. They were great bikes though I hadn't worked out that I should be riding larges at the time. To be fair the standover / seat tube length on the large was a bit tall for me but the reach would have been nice.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
^it's a solid model. i love the fact that they've shown you don't need 5-figure uber-carbon tech to build top tier competitive bikes. i :heart: my (relatively) pedestrian commencal.
I bought my kid a pedal bike of theirs for Christmas, and just ordered a DJ from them for myself. Price points are competitive, build kits are great (especially on the DJ), and you can actually preorder stuff and get it. Everyone else is like LOL OUT OF STOCK!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
They're not just competitive - they're really better than a lot of more expensive options. You'd be daft dropping extra money if you were an average racer.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
But they have pretty much dropped 27”, one of the first in what seems to be a trend. I was seriously thinking of getting a Meta frame and switching parts but nope.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I think the Sunday is a really good analogy, not that expensive and great performance, possibly the best that can be had.
The M1 was probably the best of the time but it wasn't cheap was it? I was too young and poor to even look at pricing back then.
I was more thinking a privateers choice. But you are right, during M1 times there was not that much selection. When the Sunday was in its heyday there were also other decent options out there (SP Turner DHR), but Sam Hill. Before the M1 it was the GT LTS, at least in the area where I lived at the time. Now I would say YT is also a popular choice with privateers, less at the WC level though.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Before the M1 it was the GT LTS
The M1 was actually around at the same time as the GT LTS. Intense bikes were just far rarer. The RTS was GTs previous FS DH bike and before them both.
The GT LTS DH wasn't cheap though. Far from it.
The main competitor to the LTS around '95-97 was the Cannondale super v DH (similarly priced)
The biggest difference and performance gain the later M1s had over those bikes was increased rear travel.
Plenty cheap catalogue frames then coppied the geometry, travel and horst design of the M1 and with a decent shock many could genuinely be competitive against the M1 at a fraction of the cost.
[/OldNerdMode]

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I bought my kid a pedal bike of theirs for Christmas, and just ordered a DJ from them for myself. Price points are competitive, build kits are great (especially on the DJ), and you can actually preorder stuff and get it. Everyone else is like LOL OUT OF STOCK!
I was going to get a commencal for my kid, but the lead time went from December to may to october so I had to look elsewhere.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The M1 was actually around at the same time as the GT LTS. Intense bikes were just far rarer. The RTS was GTs previous FS DH bike and before them both.
The GT LTS DH wasn't cheap though. Far from it.
The main competitor to the LTS around '95-97 was the Cannondale super v DH (similarly priced)
The biggest difference and performance gain the later M1s had over those bikes was increased rear travel.
Plenty cheap catalogue frames then coppied the geometry, travel and horst design of the M1 and with a decent shock many could genuinely be competitive against the M1 at a fraction of the cost.
[/OldNerdMode]
Last production year of the LTS was 1999, or? Intense M1 became popular when they went to the single pivot swing link version 1996 as far as I remember. This is when Palmer won silver at World Champs, but the bike first was available for sale the year after. Before that Intense used the McPhreson type bike that Palmer initially rode. Then from 2000 on the M1 had the Horst Link, and that was when it, at least where I lived, really took off. So I agree with you, they had overlap but the M1 emerged when the LTS was already on the way out.
The Super V was not popular in Germany because way more expensive than the LTS as it only was sold as complete. There was one bike shop that had one for sale for 2-3 years and I think I have only seen one in the wild.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The LTS DH and Super V DH as full bikes were around the same price here (£4k around '95) and both probably represented the best option for an off the shelf fully built DH bike available.
all LTS were available here as a frame only or frame kits with a fork and crank set/BB/Chainguide

I first saw an M1 over here in the flesh at Fort william back in '95 or '96. sorry for the vagueness I just remember it was before I'd bought my first LTS and was racing on a 100mm XC hardtail with V brakes and a set of Gofast riserbars.
The track at Ft William back then didn't follow the same route it does now, had only one man made section and was around half the length it is now, Starting under the gondola above the railway sleeper turns, headed behind the 4X track and finished in the far corner of the Nevis car park (if you know the layout of the place) There was no option to use the chairlift at all back then because of conservation issues so we all had to push. I knocked myself out and broke my ribs landing in a deep compression where a loose rock had rolled into.
M1s got a little more common not long after that and Chris Porter (Mojo/Geometron hurdy gurdy man) became the UK importer.
Not sure I'd even have been able to tell you where Germany was back then.
All I really thought about was bikes, music, partying, burds, drugs, and beer
:drag: :headbang::headbang::wub::Alcoholic::wacko:

GT made a pretty good youtube series on the development of their early suspension designs and their hey days in mtb racing and success of GT

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. But at some point between the two a burd I shared a joint with at a party happened to mention where Germany is

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Last production year of the LTS was 1999, or? Intense M1 became popular when they went to the single pivot swing link version 1996 as far as I remember. This is when Palmer won silver at World Champs, but the bike first was available for sale the year after. Before that Intense used the McPhreson type bike that Palmer initially rode. Then from 2000 on the M1 had the Horst Link, and that was when it, at least where I lived, really took off. So I agree with you, they had overlap but the M1 emerged when the LTS was already on the way out.
The Super V was not popular in Germany because way more expensive than the LTS as it only was sold as complete. There was one bike shop that had one for sale for 2-3 years and I think I have only seen one in the wild.
The original M1 wasn't a proper Horst link was it? I thought the pivot was on the seatstay. Nico on the LTS and Palmer on the M1 at Cairns was brilliant to watch.

The LTS/STS models were originally from around 93/94 I think. I had the old Mac strut Mongoose amplifier and I remember lusting after the LTS3 model heaps or a Trek Y bike for some reason. I ended up buying some kind of rip off of the M1 and killing it pretty quickly and moving onto a Mongoose NX9.7

Is Giant putting together a proper DH team again? New Glory maybe? I can't imagine Remi being too stoked going from the Supreme wunderbike to a 27.5 Glory

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The original M1 wasn't a proper Horst link was it? I thought the pivot was on the seatstay.
Correct. The frame had the burlier chainstays with adjustable dropouts and the pivot on the seatstays. The Uzzi DH sold at the same time had the FSR rear end and I have seen folks fitting it on the M1 main frame. First the redesign in 2000 added the FSR layout officially to the M1.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Is Giant putting together a proper DH team again? New Glory maybe? I can't imagine Remi being too stoked going from the Supreme wunderbike to a 27.5 Glory
Remi was still riding a 27.5 Commie though as he preferred it I think.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
For all I know he may well have been faster on 29" (everyone seems to be getting faster) but all I could see when he switched to the bigger wheels was him no longer being the exciting wild man I loved to watch in race runs hitting trickier lines like no one else could. Could have been the wheels, could have been an injury, confidence issue, could have been anything really. But it did seem to coincide with the switch in wheel size. His race run at leogang world champs last year was the first time in a while I think I'd seen Remi pull a run with moves like that like that out the bag again and it wa sawesome to watch! But I actually thought he was on 29" there so maybe he's just got more comfortable on them or back on form.. Who knows. Awesome rider to watch either way and I don't think being on a 27.5 Glory will change that.

Talking of Giant. For the biggest bike brand in the world they've have rarely made the great choices to get the best results from their DH bikes. when was Giant's last World Cup mens DH win? Myles back in '99 at Seirra nevada Champs?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For all I know he may well have been faster on 29" (everyone seems to be getting faster) but all I could see when he switched to the bigger wheels was him no longer being the exciting wild man I loved to watch in race runs hitting trickier lines like no one else could. Could have been the wheels, could have been an injury, confidence issue, could have been anything really. But it did seem to coincide with the switch in wheel size. His race run at leogang world champs last year was the first time in a while I think I'd seen Remi pull a run with moves like that like that out the bag again and it wa sawesome to watch! But I actually thought he was on 29" there so maybe he's just got more comfortable on them or back on form.. Who knows. Awesome rider to watch either way and I don't think being on a 27.5 Glory will change that.

Talking of Giant. For the biggest bike brand in the world they've have rarely made the great choices to get the best results from their DH bikes. when was Giant's last World Cup mens DH win? Myles back in '99 at Seirra nevada Champs?
Hart attack won worlds on a glory in '11

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ah... yeah. Ha ha... Cheers! How the fuck did I forget that. :o

I remembered him riding for Giant but winning champs on a Mondy but that must've been his second one at VDS

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not really no.
The Lobo replaced the STS DH and LTS DH and came in alloy or carbon (thermoplastic) versions
There may still have been normal LTS/STS in the range when the lobo was released though.

Did you ever ride a Lobo? They were crazy short bikes even for back then.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Not really no.
The Lobo replaced the STS DH and LTS DH and came in alloy or carbon (thermoplastic) versions
There may still have been normal LTS/STS in the range when the lobo was released though.

Did you ever ride a Lobo? They were crazy short bikes even for back then.
Never rode one myself. Kovarik had one he'd bring to the local races but I never stole it for a spin - I remember it looked like a BMX under him though. It would be a laugh to see the reach numbers on those bikes.

Our local shop was GT & Mongoose back then so a few of the lads had the STS models - one guy still has his hanging on the wall actually. They used to crack quite a lot where the thermoplastic noodle went through the aluminium headtube bit.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. Thermoplastic apparently expands and contracts due to moisture absorbtion and obviously those alu lugs don't. You can guess how good an idea that was for a DH bike frame used in Scotland. Needless to say I cracked the BB lugs on two STS DH frames then sold the third warranty replacement as soon as it arrived. I'd only paid trade for the frame kit so ended up even out of it. Well... I would have if I hadn't also gone through loads of linkage parts and blown a few of those crappy OG superdeluxe shocks.
and folk moan about modern bikes ;)