Quantcast

2021 veggie/food growing thread

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
That railing on the deck also takes a lot of the view of the garden?

I mix in lavender with my roses. Makes it more wild and they are good strong plants too. I got a lot of roses with the house that I will try to move as they are built into the deck and take the view away from the rest of the garden. Wife like the for cut flowers.
Not really all that much, and we don't mind it at all.

To clarify: I'd be happy with ripping out the roses and letting the strawberries go nuts.

Long term plan is having more space devoted to garden growing of the food variety. On the long to-do list. Going to make a cold frame/cover for one of the 5x12 beds for this fall/winter is first up.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Any of you grow watermelon? Do the vine things actually need to grip onto anything for them to do well?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Any of you grow watermelon? Do the vine things actually need to grip onto anything for them to do well?
I have in the past, yes. Typically you just need space and warmth to grow them... usually you grow them in a field.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Planted a bunch of green zucchini, yellow squash (yeah nearly the same) and cukes. None of the cukes came. Supplements from my local Agway.

Work in progress.

These give me 240sq/ft
The smaller bits and random plantings here and there bump to maybe 350.

Need to work on my spacing and sowing times to maximize what i have.

Every Spring I do some cool weather Spring radishes and greens and every year they bolt very early because we get one or two random bonkers hot days. I should just stop doing that and plant other shit and preserve those for the fall. But... Those few radishes I get from that early crop are so fucking tasty...
20210707_184143.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Mystery peppers - supposedly piri piri, but they don't look like the others we have

Other piri piri plant. Lots of clusters of peppers. Excited for these...

Long boi

This plant blew over in the recent storm but seems to be fine. Loaded with maters...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
so I ate the first pepper off of my Normal Habanero plant, it was a small pepper but ripe. That thing kicked ass. My mouth got a descent burn going and the flavor was great. Good burn in the belly too. Now this was the lowest Scoville rated of the peppers that I planted. Funny thing is that a while later today I made tacos with store bought habaneros and ghost pepper salsa. By comparison the tacos seemed like I had put Pico de Gallo on them. I can't wait to try the Chocolate Habanero and the Caribbean red hot habanero. The Trinidad Scorpion is so much hotter that I am going to have to be really careful with it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The Trinidad Scorpion is so much hotter that I am going to have to be really careful with it.
We made some tomato sauce with one or two last year and it turned out so damn hot.

I have some hot sauce made from Pepper X, which I guess is hotter than Carolina Reaper - it actually tastes good however they made, but god fucking damn, its not hot, it HOTTTTTT.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
So one of the smallest Chocolate Habanero fruits on my plant ripened , it was the size of a small grape. I really wasn't expecting much. Wrong
Chocolate Habaneros can be twice as hot as your normal grocery store habanero ( which I can eat like candy). This was impressive. Have a chuckle at my expense.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
things coming along nicely. tall guy on the right is the pickling cucumbers. tomatoes and peppers doing well too.
Nice! My cukes are not doing well this year. The vine borers have nail some, and the ones they didn't get, the earwigs are chewing up. My Basil as well. Little fuckers.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nice! My cukes are not doing well this year. The vine borers have nail some, and the ones they didn't get, the earwigs are chewing up. My Basil as well. Little fuckers.
What I thought were flea beetles on my plants are earwigs as well. Only recently when I've gone out at night and turned on my flashlight is when I've caught the fuckers doing their thing.

And I'm finding them in the crevices of the leaves on my eggplants.

They really like the big mary-j plant...

Ever tried using diatomaceouos earth to kill them?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
What I thought were flea beetles on my plants are earwigs as well. Only recently when I've gone out at night and turned on my flashlight is when I've caught the fuckers doing their thing.

And I'm finding them in the crevices of the leaves on my eggplants.

They really like the big mary-j plant...

Ever tried using diatomaceouos earth to kill them?
Get a can of tangle foot and a cardboard toilet paper tube. Wrap the cardboard around the plant stem then paint it with the tangle foot. It will ensnare any crawly creatures and no toxins get on your plants

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Get a can of tangle foot and a cardboard toilet paper tube. Wrap the cardboard around the plant stem then paint it with the tangle foot. It will ensnare any crawly creatures and no toxins get on your plants
We're talking like 20 plants, I'm going to have to an awful lot of poops to get that many rolls. :rofl:

Diatomaceuos earth isn't a toxin, just don't breath it in - http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html#env

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
MOAR grow baby grow

Big mater plant fell over AGAIN in the recent crazy storms. That thing has probably 15 pounds of tomatoes on it.

A few tomatoes on the heirloom plants are just about ripe. Excited for those.

Have harvested a bunch 9f jalapeños, which have been tasty.

Sweet peppers have been few and kind of bland, so far.

Poblanos are coming in now. Stoked for those.

And of course, we have hundreds of piri piri peppers in the works. Have to figure out what to do with them (pickles).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do you prune your tomatoes?
Yes, I planted them too close together this year so I have to.

I think the problem is that it will be dry and then monsoon for a bit. Constant dry and then tons of rain is causing the tomatoes to grow too fast. Only the heirlooms are splitting like that; but they've stopped recently (coincidentally I've also been watering them less and its rained a little less).

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
and the Chocolate Habaneros are ripening
Second Hottest of the Peppers I am growing
The Chocolate Habanero pepper is a cultivar of the habanero chili, which has been selectively bred to produce spicier, heavier, and larger fruit, ultimately more potent than its derivative.
Chocolate Habanero
Cultivar 'Habanero'
Heat Very hot
Scoville scale 425,000-577,000 SHU
IMG_20210802_184819914~2.jpg

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Yes, I planted them too close together this year so I have to.

I think the problem is that it will be dry and then monsoon for a bit. Constant dry and then tons of rain is causing the tomatoes to grow too fast. Only the heirlooms are splitting like that; but they've stopped recently (coincidentally I've also been watering them less and its rained a little less).
One must trim one’s axials.