Quantcast

2021 veggie/food growing thread

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Today's haul. A few picked a little early, as we're leaving the house for a week.

Cherry mater plant keeps chugging solidly.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Son of a B
Between this morning and the afternoon either a human or a critter came into my fenced back yard with locked gates and took all my ripe hot peppers except for the Caribbean red hots and the Trinidad Scorpions. They missed 6 chocolate Habaneros but got close to 30 of them and they got all of my regular habaneros another 30+ Nothing showed up on my street cam I think I need to put one in the back yard but until then the furballs will have free roam of the yard when we are not home.
This is all I have left.

IMG_20210823_154621284.jpg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Ruth wants me to put up a back yard security camera. I want to put up 3 stands of barb wire on my side of the fence not visible from the other side to hang the motherfuckers up if they try it again.
Barbed wire is a pain in the ass. Invariably you or a friend will get tangled up in it. Razorwire is worse. The amount of diligence you need to have doesn't offset the security advantages.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Son of a B
Between this morning and the afternoon either a human or a critter came into my fenced back yard with locked gates and took all my ripe hot peppers except for the Caribbean red hots and the Trinidad Scorpions. They missed 6 chocolate Habaneros but got close to 30 of them and they got all of my regular habaneros another 30+ Nothing showed up on my street cam I think I need to put one in the back yard but until then the furballs will have free roam of the yard when we are not home.
This is all I have left.

View attachment 163905
given that there are no animals native to your region that eat hot peppers, it was probably some asshole.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Who would steal the peppers and not the whole plant?

Isn't there a nice hammock back there that would be more enticing to lift?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
2 poblanos, a few hot cherry peppers, 2 cherokee purple, 2 pink caspian, a black krim, and a bunch of san marzanos.

i have to pick the tomatoes slightly underripe as its so hot here they'll go bad if i leave them to fully ripen on the vine.

1629823360321.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hmmm might have to find some San marzano plants next, those look great. Are they like a bigger, meatier Roma?
You'd have to order plants. I germinated mine from seed. It's an heirloom variety. Good for pasta sauce and pizzas.

Wiki:

Compared to the Roma tomato, San Marzano tomatoes are thinner and more pointed. The flesh is much thicker with fewer seeds, and the taste is stronger, sweeter, and less acidic.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Away for a week and somehow no plants died, tipped over or were stolen by raccoons.

Many more tomatoes need to be picked, along with a bunch of peppers. A few jalapeños turned red.

Piri piri's ripening quickly.

This thing was not here last Sunday.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Tomatoes, basil, cheese and bread for breakfast.

Girlfriend is making a big batch of marinara sauce. I am going to make some Pico de gallo, shortly, once I am given permission to use the counter space. :D

And I just spent an hour trimming dead shit and stuff off all the plants.

And picked these in the process. Bug boi buttocks mater at the top. :drool: Not pictured are the 30 cherry tomatoes that we picked early this morning.

And an assortment of peppers.

Might crack some beers, stuff some of these with cream cheese, wrap em in bacon and slap them on the grill.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Also have some HUGE bunching onions that I need to start using, damn those things are awesome to grow. Set and forget basically and use as you need.

And a lot of garlic chives and regular chives. Anyone dry or freeze them?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What are your guy's tomato sauce recipes?
depending on time constraints i might put the tomatoes through a food processor / immersion blender if i don't have time for it to simmer down from whole. also make sure they are deskinned.

saute minced garlic in good quality olive oil. add tomatoes. simmer. add fresh basil towards the end.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
To be more helpful, though - when I have excess paste tomatoes (roma/San Marzano/etc.), I blanch them briefly, skins come off really easily, stick 'em in a ziploc and freeze them. I don't even bother taking the step to vacuum seal them, 'cause I'm lazy.
my dad has been growing tomatoes as long as i can remember. he stopped blanching them because the skins come right after after you thaw them.