Quantcast

2021 veggie/food growing thread

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The tomatoes/plants are definitely ramping down here.

Heirlooms got kind of screwed by a huge dumping of rain earlier this week. Other plants still have a bunch hanging fruit to ripen and even still some flowers here and there.

Cherry tomato plant is still going strong. It's been hard to keep up with that thing and make sure it doesn't touch the ground.

Piri piri peppers are all ripening. Still probably a hundred peppers to go. Crazy little things.

I think I'll opt out of growing bell peppers next year. Not much fruit from them and the bugs and squirrels love them. Have had to toss 70% of them so far. Oh well.

Today's picking...

Didn't pick this, but sooooooon

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Yep - we have a sunroom on the S side of the house. Basil grown outdoors here ends up kinda stunted generally, due to the cool overnight temps even in midsummer. So my basil stays in the sunroom year 'round.
I do this. I have found it does especially well if you get those pots with a watering chamber at the bottom. Basil really like wet deep roots and dry surface. Also I micro-feed it. Last plant lasted about 3 years before it got too woody to be useful.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Stupid question, that was.
Yep - we have a sunroom on the S side of the house. Basil grown outdoors here ends up kinda stunted generally, due to the cool overnight temps even in midsummer. So my basil stays in the sunroom year 'round.
Nice. Yeah asking if you were growing it outside was a bit of a stupid question, my bad.

Your cats don't screw with it? For being a carnivore, our young cat loves to chow down on any plants we have in the house. Especially the succulents.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I do this. I have found it does especially well if you get those pots with a watering chamber at the bottom. Basil really like wet deep roots and dry surface. Also I micro-feed it. Last plant lasted about 3 years before it got too woody to be useful.
Goddam. That's some dedication. I can get about 6-7 months out of a "crop" of basil. Fortunately, it's *super* easy to start a new crop with the sunroom...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Stupid question, that was.

Nice. Yeah asking if you were growing it outside was a bit of a stupid question, my bad.

Your cats don't screw with it? For being a carnivore, our young cat loves to chow down on any plants we have in the house. Especially the succulents.
Nope - cat doesn't appear to be keen on the smell of the basil. He leaves it alone.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Goddam. That's some dedication. I can get about 6-7 months out of a "crop" of basil. Fortunately, it's *super* easy to start a new crop with the sunroom...
Once it is established, with the pot I have it only needs one water/feed a week. Mainly I just really like how it looks. It mostly gets used to make pesto.