Quantcast

2021 Worlds @ Val di Sole

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Gotta root for Greg in the overall now. Imagine that. World champ and WC overall winner at 40! Nobody is topping that! Greg is already the Tom Brady of DH, could have retired the goat long ago but just keeps winning, all for the love of the game. It's incredible.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
To be fair to Greg, all I meant was the winningest oldest champion ever, still doing it for the love of the sport. A guy so far ahead who's achievements could never be matched.
I'm sure he's not a douche like brady and he's definitely not a cheater.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Brady could crossover into downhill with some of that concussion water.

I feel most badly for Reece Wilson, who had a chance to win this if not for that untimely front flat.

Edit: Actually, empathy toss-up between Reece and Dak Norton.

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Also, I've had my butt ripped open for suggesting this before, but when does Neko Mulally stop racing at the WC level?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
To be fair to Greg, all I meant was the winningest oldest champion ever, still doing it for the love of the sport. A guy so far ahead who's achievements could never be matched.
I'm sure he's not a douche like brady and he's definitely not a cheater.
Met him a few times, he is a real nice guy and top bloke. Helped me out with some stuff once and was really fun partying with at the last ever wc race at Kaprun.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Also, I've had my butt ripped open for suggesting this before, but when does Neko Mulally stop racing at the WC level?
When Gwin's team runs out of cash.

Nothing wrong with Neko still being on the WC circuit, he puts respectable finishes in, it's just that he doesn't really put in the kinds of finishes one would expect from a tier 1 team member. Then again, neither does his boss...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Nothing wrong with Neko still being on the WC circuit, he puts respectable finishes in, it's just that he doesn't really put in the kinds of finishes one would expect from a tier 1 team member. Then again, neither does his boss...
What's this tier 1 team nonsense?

Neko's way higher in the overall standings this season than some other fan favorite racers.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I've always felt it was the rider and not the bike, but perhaps the Cosco machine isn't up to snuff. Or maybe the team is a toxic place. Jack Moir's career certainly took off after leaving, albeit not in DH.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I feel most badly for Reece Wilson, who had a chance to win this if not for that untimely front flat.
Blowing his front tyre at Mach Chicken coming into the Sam Hill corner berm and riding it out was mental. It basically exploded on approach and he hit that turn fast. Crazy shit

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Some football player
Ah... I Guess that'll be the "Football" devised by one nation and pretty much exclusively played by that nation alone featuring eleventysix players in each team and 200 breaks in play per quarter game?

Yes. I can see now why one of those players achievements could be comparable to the solo achievements of a South African downhill mtb rider's multiple *World Championship wins, multiple *World Cup Series Overall wins and greatest ever number of individual international World Cup race wins.

*Actual world - as in competing against every DH mountainbike racer on planet earth. Not some made up USA and a neighbouring country "world" where you just steal another game and pretend you made it up and then create a "World series" while the rest of the world still call it rounders and anyone taking it seriously would be laughed at.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Much as i'd have loved Reece to pull a podium or the double it wasn't his day. He was already over 3 seconds down on Greg's time when his tyre flatted
Amazing skills to hold that high speed corner and still power it to the finish and only lose a couple of seconds more though. Think it woulda been a solid top 10 otherwise.

Minnaar Hills Corner.jpg

Reeco Hill's corner.jpg

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
What's this tier 1 team nonsense?

Neko's way higher in the overall standings this season than some other fan favorite racers.
In my brain there's sorta 3 distinct levels of WC teams. The full factory teams like Syndicate, Commencal/Muc-off, Trek, Itense, etc. Then the teams that are factory supported, but definitely not the big guns, UR, the other Commencal team that Muc-off dropped, GT, Nina Hoffman's team, teams like that, and finally the privateer guys.

Intense is solidly a big factory effort like Syndicate, but Neko just isn't quite where most people would think a rider for a big money team should be. Like you said, still doing better than some of the fan favorites, but not really at the pointy end of the spear all that often either. Definitely justifies his presence on the circuit, but I don't think he'd be on a big factory team if not for Gwin.

I've always felt it was the rider and not the bike, but perhaps the Cosco machine isn't up to snuff. Or maybe the team is a toxic place. Jack Moir's career certainly took off after leaving, albeit not in DH.

Am I smoking drugs or did the Intense factory team fall off right about the time that the patent expired and they started running "JS tuned" suspension? I'm probably totally wrong on that, but Moir was struggling a bit before Gwin came to town, and Gwin was killing it on YT. I can't imagine the Intense is really that bad, nor are Canyons or YTs really that good, but something's going on.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
In my brain there's sorta 3 distinct levels of WC teams. The full factory teams like Syndicate, Commencal/Muc-off, Trek, Itense, etc. Then the teams that are factory supported, but definitely not the big guns, UR, the other Commencal team that Muc-off dropped, GT, Nina Hoffman's team, teams like that, and finally the privateer guys.

Intense is solidly a big factory effort like Syndicate, but Neko just isn't quite where most people would think a rider for a big money team should be. Like you said, still doing better than some of the fan favorites, but not really at the pointy end of the spear all that often either. Definitely justifies his presence on the circuit, but I don't think he'd be on a big factory team if not for Gwin.

Am I smoking drugs or did the Intense factory team fall off right about the time that the patent expired and they started running "JS tuned" suspension? I'm probably totally wrong on that, but Moir was struggling a bit before Gwin came to town, and Gwin was killing it on YT. I can't imagine the Intense is really that bad, nor are Canyons or YTs really that good, but something's going on.
I thought Moir was killing it with the M29 after getting over his string of injuries. Definitely took a step backwards after the team and sponsor changes (Cough...Kenda). Happy to see him ripping it at the EWS. Hopefully be able to see him on DH bike more, but probably will see less of that since he's a contender for the EWS overall.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I thought Moir was killing it with the M29 after getting over his string of injuries. Definitely took a step backwards after the team and sponsor changes (Cough...Kenda). Happy to see him ripping it at the EWS. Hopefully be able to see him on DH bike more, but probably will see less of that since he's a contender for the EWS overall.
You are right, the Moir, Lucas, Harrison, Nesterroff Intense Team on Rock Shox suspension was quite successful. Then Gwin took over and we know how that ended.
Looking at the UCI ranking list, Luca Shaw is the best US racer at 11, Norton at 17, Gwin 18 and Mullaly is 47th. Just for comparison, Fischbach, who has a sponsor that does not even make a DH bike and is basically a privateer on a YT, is ranked 38th.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Last night from Japan we watched the full womens XC, skipped through the mens XC and watched the last couple of short track laps in each race. All four were great racing.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Its WC DH out of 60 guys how many are truly contenders each week? 10-15? even that may be generous?
In the last decade
Gwin has won over 20% of the races. Then take out a few each for Bruni, Vergier, Hart, Pierron, Smith, Ratboy, Minnaar, Hill.
Thats alot of the races spoken for in those few Big names. How many guys are really competing for the win??
Neko deserves to be in there as much as any other guy not named above.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Reflecting on the GOATs win and procrastinating on work, I was curious about which DH legend had the best win % and ran some quick calcs off Roots and Rain data.

Win % = number of 1st place finishes in World Cup or World Champ starts as an Elite

Nicolas Vouilloz - 20/48 - 41.7%
Aaron Gwin - 20/93 - 21.5%
Sam Hill - 16/97 - 16.5%
Greg Minnaar - 26/169 - 15.4%
Steve Peat - 18/136 - 13.2%
I'd be curious to know the same stackup, but filtered/%'d for podiums instead of wins.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Its WC DH out of 60 guys how many are truly contenders each week? 10-15? even that may be generous?
In the last decade
Gwin has won over 20% of the races. Then take out a few each for Bruni, Vergier, Hart, Pierron, Smith, Ratboy, Minnaar, Hill.
Thats alot of the races spoken for in those few Big names. How many guys are really competing for the win??
Neko deserves to be in there as much as any other guy not named above.
1630480886353.jpeg

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I like hearing Neko’s humble and insightful commentary on Downtime.

I also think he gives back to the sport way more than his teammate (boss).