Quantcast

2022 Fox 34

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
anybody riding one? starting to think about new bike spec. going to be a downcountry/trail bike (targeting 130/140 travel), i already have an enduro bike so don't need to overbike this. i think my biggest concern is whether or not it's gonna be stiff enough - not so much for what i'll be riding, but for my weight (i'm about 220 geared up these days).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No, I have the SC version, it's too flexy. Generally, the Fox stuff is flexier than the RS stuff due to Fox not using as much crown material as RS. At your weight, a Pike or 36 would be better for that travel-size. If you were thinking 100-120, then a 34 would probably be ok.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No, I have the SC version, it's too flexy. Generally, the Fox stuff is flexier than the RS stuff due to Fox not using as much crown material as RS. At your weight, a Pike or 36 would be better for that travel-size. If you were thinking 100-120, then a 34 would probably be ok.
that's kinda my concern is more for my weight rather than the terrain i'd be riding. although to be fair, the bike it would be "replacing" is 120/120 26", i've currently got a first gen mattoc pro on it dropped to 120mm. for the trails i ride on it, i don't really find myself wanting/needing more travel. so i realistically would probably get away with 120/130, since i'm most likely going to be jumping to 29'er.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was gonna say - I'm 180# and would avoid a Fox 34 like the plague. And not only for flex problems. :homer:
all joking aside, you have one bike, no? i'm not looking to build a "do it all" bike. i'm looking for something to do xc/trail/downcountry essentially. i have an enduro bike (megatrail w/ a 36). so for the times i need something burlier, i'm already covered.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
you also ride in spd sandals
I ride *flat* pedals in my sandals, thank you very much. :homer:

all joking aside, you have one bike, no? i'm not looking to build a "do it all" bike. i'm looking for something to do xc/trail/downcountry essentially. i have an enduro bike (megatrail w/ a 36). so for the times i need something burlier, i'm already covered.
I think you'll still be irritated with the flex... eventually. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you'll not even *notice* how flexy it is... Tubby. :p

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I ride *flat* pedals in my sandals, thank you very much. :homer:
no me gusta flat pedals.

I think you'll still be irritated with the flex... eventually. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you'll not even *notice* how flexy it is... Tubby. :p

i can tolerate a certain amount of flex (given the intended use), since most of the trails i'll be riding said potential bike on are pedal fests to begin with. none of the trails within an hour drive of me have more than 300 total feet of vertical. again, anything that requires "more bike" i have another bike i would ride there.

trust me, i can notice flex. are you referring to flex in the MY22 fork, or just the 34 in general? as the 22 models were significantly redesigned and all the reviews i've seen on the new ones are very positive.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
no me gusta flat pedals.

i can tolerate a certain amount of flex (given the intended use), since most of the trails i'll be riding said potential bike on are pedal fests to begin with. none of the trails within an hour drive of me have more than 300 total feet of vertical. again, anything that requires "more bike" i have another bike i would ride there.

trust me, i can notice flex. are you referring to flex in the MY22 fork, or just the 34 in general? as the 22 models were significantly redesigned and all the reviews i've seen on the new ones are very positive.
I cannot speak to the performance of the '22 fork.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Last fox I had was a 34, not sure if the new ones are better but the bushing slop was so bad I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Last fox I had was a 34, not sure if the new ones are better but the bushing slop was so bad I couldn't wait to get rid of it.
i have a 2013 32, 2015 36, and a 2008 40. the only one i truly hated was the 32, because it was a piece of spaghetti, but it is also QR.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
The 22 models were significantly redesigned and all the reviews i've seen on the new ones are very positive.
This is my understanding as well.

I just picked up my new *downcountry* bike this past weekend. I decided to go with the Fox 34 Factory 130mm over the stock RS Sid Select+ 120mm due to reports of so many bushing issues with the SID and I wanted the extra 10mm of travel. I rode it briefly on Saturday and didn't notice anything weird or flexy but I've only ridden 3 times since December so I'm a bit out of touch and the whole bike is a different experience. Important note: new fork stickers incoming since the factory orange doesn't work for me.

trek top fuel 9.8.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This is my understanding as well.

I just picked up my new *downcountry* bike this weekend. I decided to go with the Fox 34 Factory 130mm over the stock RS Sid Select+ 120mm due to reports of so many bushing issues with the SID and I wanted the extra 10mm of travel. I rode it briefly on Saturday and didn't notice anything weird or flexy but I've only ridden 3 times since December so I'm a bit out of touch and the whole bike is a different experience. Important note: new fork stickers incoming since the factory orange doesn't work for me.

View attachment 173119
cool, will be curious to hear your thoughts as you get more time on it. just curious - how much do you weigh?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'll keep you posted but it's unlikely I'll be doing any riding in the next week or two with the current forecast. I weigh around 175-180 lbs usually.
no worries, its gonna be at least a few months minimum before i make any decisions. figure i'd try to start getting some research done.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
fwiw, the bike currently at the top of my list is a gg pistol/pistola
Tamer local terrain we'd likely have Pistola's with a Pike. But my life loves her size 3, and me my size 4 Smash/Lyrik that we got in November before winter turned up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Tamer local terrain we'd likely have Pistola's with a Pike. But my life loves her size 3, and me my size 4 Smash/Lyrik that we got in November before winter turned up.
I think you underestimate how tame some of my local trails are. Some of them I see dudes on cx bikes on certain sections. Lots of hardtails too.