Quantcast

2022 Garden Thread

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What's going on this year?

For those that do their thing in planters/pots, what do you add (if anything) to them, to bring up any missing nutrients from pasts grows in that soil? Just mix in some fresh soil and plant food later? Nothing?

My chives are coming up already and hopefully will see the green onions doing something soon...

I will not make the mistake this year of getting roped in by the nice weather, only to have everything get frosted. :D

I will also not attempt to grow any sort of bell pepper this year. They take too long and the squirrels love to come and bite them, not worth the effort.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Probably another couple of weeks until we bother starting with the small pots inside. There's a foot of snow on our raised beds still. Each year I stick a fresh bag of compost on to each of the raised beds - they're each ~6ft square.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
well now that I have 100 square feed of elevated garden I guess I should plant something. Of course they are next to the sidewalk so any passers by can pick anything, which is fine by me. Also why the first thing going in is a bunch of habeneros, then some peas, sunflowers and strawberries.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
landscaping is not done yet, but we'll plant some small fruit bushes here and there.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Not much happening here. I am waiting for my Ginseng patch to pop. I noticed a few other patches cleared. My Patch is out of the way and never has been touched. Ramps haven't popped yet. Were supposed to have a hard freeze next Sunday. I am hoping everything holds off until after that. I have wild raspberries and blackberries coming too. I don't do anything for them until May.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
and the first peppers of the year have been planted. 2 Trinidad Scorpion pepper plants between 1.4 million and 2.0 million scoville units. for reference a Habanero is between 350,000 and 500,000 sc
DSCF9693a.jpg
oville units. Still hunting for some Habanero's and ghost peppers

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Nothing special this year I don't think. Maybe some cucumbers and tomatoes again. The bulk of the garden is perennial, so whatever comes back. Most looking forward to the blueberries and service berries. I might also rip up some more lawn. We will see, but we're a couple months away, so there's time ;)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Shit keeps freezing here still, so have basically nothing going yet, other than the chives from last year.

Had to reseed the green bunching onions, not sure what happened to those, but only 2-3 stalks didn't die.

Also seeded a bunch of dill recently, which I have in a tiny greenhouse. We'll see if it survives.

Girlfriend tossed her little herb planter into the compost area last fall, which I found the thyme and garlic chives sprouting again, so garbage picked those and replanted. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
ok now my pepper selection for the season is complete. But I may get two more Habanero plants for volumes sake
Trinidad Scorpion Pepper: really stupid hot
Ghost Pepper: Really Hot
Habanero Pepper: Hot

View attachment 173933View attachment 173934View attachment 173935
You don't find those are too close together? I accidentally too many pepper plants last year and doubled some up in the planters - those ones grew slower and thinner than the others.. And I had to water them a lot more.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Chives are sprouting flowers already.

Bunch of green onions on the way. Need to do more research on how to get these to survive winter. 2 or 3 of them did, hence those big guys, but the rest seem to have died.

And got tempted and planted the first mater. This can o ly mean frost is on its way. :rolleyes:

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Locally at Alden Lane Nursery in Livermore CA. Still waiting on a shipment of Chocolate Habaneros from Pepper Joes in Iowa (supposed to ship this week).
We didn't plant a garden this year, but your pepper pics made me instantly regret that. I mean that in teh most heterosexual way. Not sure I'd have any luck finding something like a Carolina Reaper or Scorpion Pepper locally, although jalapenos and habaneros are easy enough to find.

I was looking at Pepper Joes yesterday; have you bought from there before, and if so, how'd they do?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
We didn't plant a garden this year, but your pepper pics made me instantly regret that. I mean that in teh most heterosexual way. Not sure I'd have any luck finding something like a Carolina Reaper or Scorpion Pepper locally, although jalapenos and habaneros are easy enough to find.

I was looking at Pepper Joes yesterday; have you bought from there before, and if so, how'd they do?
Still waiting on my first shipment from them. It was supposed to ship 6 weeks ago but they got hit by a cold snap. According to them the other peppers came through fine but the chocolate habaneros seemed stunted and they would not ship until they were big enough and strong enough to survive the shipping. I was able to source all the other peppers I wanted locally except for the chocolate habaneros so I will wait and see.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The raspberries I planted are doing ok... It appears to be too early to tell how many didn't survive. It appears I am 5/5 on thornless blackberry transplants. The currant bushes I planted are thriving, including producing berries already. I'm not surprised since there's native currants growing all over the place.

I've got the wild blackberry bramble also. The plan is to get some leather gloves on and go in, prune out all the willows growing in there and make a lane to walk and mow. If the bramble is pruned out into 3 rows I'll have better access to more berries.

Next up is the blueberry patch. There's too many berries to choose from. They all have different characteristics and just because Duke is popular doesn't mean it's the best berry. I've tried different kinds in test plots and then forget what I tried and what I liked. If I can find cheap plants it would be fun to get enough varieties to be eating some blueberries from June into September.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
All soil in my garden is basically not usable for growing food due to city pollution especially from led based fuel. I do have herbs, pear, apple and nuts. Also trying a few strawberries just to see how they do different places in the garden but most of my focus is planting all kinds of interesting plants like special rhododendrons, conifers, perennials and just shaping the garden into a nice place to be. My biggest project is actually making a new patio and walkway leading into the front door.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Its almost 3pm and I have been pulling up Spanish Blue Bells all morning. They are invasive and completely take over. I wish I had know before they were this bad.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
No till ftw.
Was having a discussion about this just yesterday with an other local farmer that farms around the same acres as my dad and I. They fall plow, disk, then hit with a field cultivator in the spring. They were burning around 300 gallons of fuel a day. Lol
We used 156 gallons total. That’s two tractors running for 100-110 hours. But ya I’m the silly one round here for no-til.