Quantcast

2022 Garden Thread

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Was having a discussion about this just yesterday with an other local farmer that farms around the same acres as my dad and I. They fall plow, disk, then hit with a field cultivator in the spring. They were burning around 300 gallons of fuel a day. Lol
We used 156 gallons total. That’s two tractors running for 100-110 hours. But ya I’m the silly one round here for no-til.
All your topsoil isn't blown two counties over either.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
All of my plants that supposedly need full sun apparently do not like going from 100% gloom to 15 hours of direct sunlight.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Two random 90F+ days in late May. My bok choi and radishes are fucked.

Well, I mean, a late summer/fall planted crop will be fine. But I usually can get a Spring round to do alright. Not this year.

Just going to go super heavy with my cakes zukes tomatoes in the meantime.
20220529_194156.jpg
20220529_190318.jpg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Resized_20220607_173907(2).jpeg

Built some raised beds out of scrap 1x12s that I found in some bushes on my property. Carrots and peppers mostly. Some beans and sweet peas also.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Have not been arsed to do anything this year. If we'd planted at the normal time the cold weather snaps and snow would have killed it all.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
holy hell am I going to have a shit ton of Habanero Peppers. just look at all the blossoms. The Ghost peppers aren't far behind. Still waiting on the Carolina Reaper and Trinidad Scorpions to kick it into gear. Gonna be at least a mont before the cholate habaneros get big enough to do anything.

20220615_181617.jpg

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
funny how with the exception of the Chocolate Habaneros I got all the plants at the same time and they are all in the same soil yet the growth rates are so different. The ghost peppers and Habaneros have taken off. the Trinidad scorpions are just starting to really grow but the Caroline Reaper is way behind. I only got the Chocolate Habaneros ten days ago as seedlings but they have doubled in size and don't seem to be showing any transplant shock. Still waiting on the first pepper pods t show on the Habaneros and Ghost Peppers which have been flowering for weeks now.

Habaneros

Dos Habanero 6.22.22.jpg
habanero 6.22.22.jpg

Ghost Pepper

Ghost pepper 6.22.22.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion

Trinidad Scorpion 6.22.22.jpg

Carolina Reaper

Carolina Reaper 6.22.22.jpg

Chocolate Habaneros

Chocolate Habanero6.22.22.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I got all the plants at the same time and they are all in the same soil yet the growth rates are so different.
I have four pot plants doing this, all planted at the same time, from the same seed pack. All in the same soil.

Two are approaching two feet tall. The other two are maybe 5 inches. :confused:

Aliens are coming in nicely. First time growing zucchini - note to self, don't grab the spines.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I have four pot plants doing this, all planted at the same time, from the same seed pack. All in the same soil.

Two are approaching two feet tall. The other two are maybe 5 inches. :confused:

Aliens are coming in nicely. First time growing zucchini - note to self, don't grab the spines.
Those zucc vines grow huge too. And I agree they're prickly mofos.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

A few poblanos in the works... should have probably picked these two off rather than let them bloom, oh well

I don't even know what this is. The tag says dragon roll hot pepper? But of all the pepper plants, this one has the most flowers.

Peppers are spindly compared to Eric's. Haven't really had super bushy ones in a few summers.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001

A few poblanos in the works... should have probably picked these two off rather than let them bloom, oh well

I don't even know what this is. The tag says dragon roll hot pepper? But of all the pepper plants, this one has the most flowers.

Peppers are spindly compared to Eric's. Haven't really had super bushy ones in a few summers.
Pinch off the tips of each stalk that will cause it to branch out and get bushy

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Pinch off the tips of each stalk that will cause it to branch out and get bushy
A rabbit did that for me on two of the jalapeños and they are super short but yeah much bushier.

With the varying weather we always get and sometimes super cold, I'm always nervous to disturb them too much..

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Big harvest today :rofl:

One poblano and mystery pepper on the right, with a tallcan for scale. I thought it was a jalapeño plant, but that doesn't really look like any I've ever grown? They're usually stubbier and fatter at the top eh?

Anyways, I snipped these two off as they're quite large and the only fruits on the plants. Lots of other flowers though, so maybe I'm an idiot thinking if I take these two, they'll focus more on growing the flowering fruits?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Lots of jalapeños are coming. I foresee some stuffed bacon wrapped peppers in the near future..

This random shishito plant is full. Going to put a bunch in some pad thai tonight.

Greenz

Only did Roma and San Marzano tomatoes this year and they are well on their way...so many. The two big cherry tomato plants are pumping out too.

Oh and the zucchini is finally coming along. I've had to chop off so many fruits, which clearly didn't get pollinated. I plant a bunch of random flowers, which have bloomed, and it seems to be attracting my bees and bugs.

First time growing some cucumber as well. Not sure what the plan was, but this one is already 5 feet tall.

Last edited: