Quantcast

2022 Garden Thread

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Spuds in the sack is genius.
I forget how we first stumbled upon that, but we've grown them for several years that way and had great success. This year I just repurposed some chicken feed sacks. Roll the tops down, bury your starts in a couple inches of good soil. As the tops of the plant start to show, roll up the sack, throw a couple more inches of soil on top, repeat untill sack is rolled almost all the way back to full. The only issue with the feed bags is these are plastic-ish, so I had to punch a couple holes in the bottom so that they drain. Traditionally we've used burlap, which has no issues draining.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Coincidentally we too picked the first of our Roma/San Marzano maters over the last few days.

One plant though has an issue, the fruits keep going black at the bottom. But we have enough tomato plants that I haven't really been bothered to do anything about it, oh well, hopefully it fixes itself.

Our snap peas are coming back. I think they just about got nuked over the last month with the heat, but are flowing again at the bottom. I started to sprout new ones, so now I'm going to have double....I guess not a bad problem, if I can find somewhere to grow them. :rofl:

I wish the zucchini would do a little more. They aren't doing bad, but I don't think we've had enough pollinating going on. Same with the cucumbers. Still find it funny how the zucc's double in size over night...oops.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Coincidentally we too picked the first of our Roma/San Marzano maters over the last few days.

One plant though has an issue, the fruits keep going black at the bottom. But we have enough tomato plants that I haven't really been bothered to do anything about it, oh well, hopefully it fixes itself.
Blossom-end rot. Needs moar calcium.

I wish the zucchini would do a little more. They aren't doing bad, but I don't think we've had enough pollinating going on. Same with the cucumbers. Still find it funny how the zucc's double in size over night...oops.
Zuke's are just coming in here. I predict in about 48 hours I'll be bitching about them. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Blossom-end rot. Needs moar calcium.

Zuke's are just coming in here. I predict in about 48 hours I'll be bitching about them. :D
Any suggestions on a fix?

I've been feeding all the plants the same nutrients, but its been a while. This is the only one that is in different soil, so its no surprise really.

Do I just find something like this and spray the plant?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

I've been feeding all the plants the same nutrients, but its been a while. This is the only one that is in different soil, so its no surprise really.

You can try that. I've had blossom end rot a few times, but it is usually confined to just a few fruits on a plant, so I've selected not to worry about it. That does remind me, though - I should probably throw some calcium on the garden after this year's harvest is complete.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Every couple days we get this. These little black/purple maters have been great. They grow in picturesque clusters and don't seem to mind any of my fuck ups or the stupid heat.

With the amount of fruits out there, there's going to be a serious ramp up soon...

Have enough peppers and cucumbers to pickle now. And a bunch of big boi poblanos.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Oyster shells, you probably want slightly acidic soil for 'maters so mix that with say old coffee to keep the PH down, which will also dissolve more calcium.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
God damn squirrel bit this zucchini. And I watched one take a tomato this morning, if I only I had the hose ready...

This jalapeños are now stuffed and wrapped with bacon. To be grilled later. :brows:

Also pickled these little cucumbers and a few peppers with fresh dill.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Yesterdays haul:

Bell peppers

Cherokee Purple tomatoes finally coming in. Probably got 20 of these. The Cherry and Roma are turning red so fast we can barely keep up:

Spicy bois:

My lone watermelon. There had been a second, but it got "funny", so I removed it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
yeah that is a good haul. The cauliflower is cool.

We had that many tomatoes on the vine, just about ready to pick, before going away for a few days last week. Came back on Thursday and they were all gone. God damn squirrels man.

Our garden has slowed significantly, I'm guessing its the constant yo-yo of super hot days to super rainy days.

On a side note, last night while down at the beach park (semi-private, requires a key), we discovered someone planted two 15' x 15' gardens of tomatoes and just let it go wild. Its an actual forest of tomato plants, some of them I'd guess to be 10 feet tall. Not many fruits though..

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Week ass garden 2022! My 2 surviving peppers and 4 tomatoes. We also have some basil that isn't supposed to grow here but is and some brussel sprouts in the other box.

PXL_20220822_232101370.jpg

PXL_20220822_232109806~2.jpg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My neighbors are really staying on top of things. They are harvesting most everything before I can steal anything. I am beginning to hate them.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Bowl of peppers tonight. Hopefully we get another round before the cool weather, even if just mini peppers for pickling. One of the poblano plants has tons of flower buds, but I'm assuming it's too late for them.

This girl looks delicious!

So I planted some asparagus and just let it go lol. Maybe I should read up on how to grow and pick it? Any tips? The things are tiny so I've just let them grow into 4 foot tall bushes.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Have a bunch of zucchini on the vine. Too damn bad the squirrels have continued their pillaging of my garden, God dammit.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Thier greed caught up with them. I am getting Zucchinis, Eggplants, Green Beans, Peas, Corn, and teeny tiny cukes. Huge baskets. No tomatoes or peppers. I go to the public market and get them. Huge Hungarian, Ukrainian, and Romanian peppers. Not hot, but tasty. Salt potatoes and corn are excellent this year. No onions or garlic this year. Ramps either.