Quantcast

2022 Racing/Team Rumors

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
^this is rad. seems he's getting on alright with the new bike so far.
I agree. Is it my ear’s playin trick’s on me,or did I hear a lot of clanking with his rear end? His ridin was smooth, but the sound of his rear squish did not sound supple. Give um a break Avy,first ride. He will dial it in soon.
Avy

pe6u

Chimp
Apr 19, 2013
I love the damper on the Storia, but feel like I'm always wishing my bikes were a bit more progressive in the rear.
I solved this problem by adding another bottom out bumper from DVO Jade, EXT bumper is very thin, now I'm happy on big hits.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
hmmmm... did Neko start his own program to make room for his good buddy Dak on a factory team?!
It sounds like it had more to do with getting off the Intense frames and Kenda tires.

In that Blister podcast he mentions he and Aaron were so unhappy with the current Intense they thought it was time to try a new direction and bought a number of top performing bikes to test.

Dak came on strong last year. It’d be a real bummer to see that momentum flushed away due to sub par equipment.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I agree. Is it my ear’s playin trick’s on me,or did I hear a lot of clanking with his rear end? His ridin was smooth, but the sound of his rear squish did not sound supple. Give um a break Avy,first ride. He will dial it in soon.
Avy
I thought that sound was just (sad) rims smashing rocks. Having ridden those trails, Neko was doing some very naughty things in terms of speed and line choice with no regards to anything but fast. Awesome to see!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I thought that sound was just (sad) rims smashing rocks. Having ridden those trails, Neko was doing some very naughty things in terms of speed and line choice with no regards to anything but fast. Awesome to see!
Had me wondering if he was using an insert or not.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
His sponsorships are all media-based, not results based… so he said. Expect to see lots if media. Definitely something fresh to see imo. Much more interesting than the usual bs.
Very interesting indeed. Neko's first episode is really good and it sounds very promising for the rest of the season.

I have to say I really like the media stuff some are doing with Youtube these days. Wyn is one of the OG youtuber for race stuff and always have super entertaining content. Rémy Métailler is probably the best for gnarly lines analysis. Cathro for race lines analysis. Bernard Kerr and Jack Moir are having some of the best POV riding. Neko's race bike development series will be super interesting as well.

Many of these good quality youtube channels are probably some kind of a positive by-product of the pandemic. Like you said, they are a welcome shift from the usual marketing BS to more quality content.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is Kanuga worth a visit? I assume it gets pretty busy there?

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I have 100% more confidence in Neko's barn welded prototype, than I do Intense coming up with a competitive World cup race bike.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Is Kanuga worth a visit? I assume it gets pretty busy there?
Honestly, all of Pisgah is more crowded than the last time you were here. Still, it's not like you can't have loads of fun at all the usual spots.

As for Kanuga, I thought it was awesome fun. It's a pedal up bike park and I think the pedaling part keeps it from getting too overwhelmingly busy. Basically a bunch of differently styled and themed, very well maintained, and ridiculously fun Pisgah style trails and some medium to huge jump lines. The climb trail is very easy and there is also a direct route trail for all the e-bikers-- @jackalope and I decided it was faster to just ride up the e-bike trail if you had the legs for it. We rode it on my pedal bike and had a blast. If (when!) you're back in this neck of the woods I think it's worth a trip. I did not think crowds were an issue when I was there although I guess that could change as they get more popular. There is another similar concept park going in west of Asheville near Candler as well--opens this year.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Honestly, all of Pisgah is more crowded than the last time you were here. Still, it's not like you can't have loads of fun at all the usual spots.

As for Kanuga, I thought it was awesome fun. It's a pedal up bike park and I think the pedaling part keeps it from getting too overwhelmingly busy. Basically a bunch of differently styled and themed, very well maintained, and ridiculously fun Pisgah style trails and some medium to huge jump lines. The climb trail is very easy and there is also a direct route trail for all the e-bikers-- @jackalope and I decided it was faster to just ride up the e-bike trail if you had the legs for it. We rode it on my pedal bike and had a blast. If (when!) you're back in this neck of the woods I think it's worth a trip. I did not think crowds were an issue when I was there although I guess that could change as they get more popular. There is another similar concept park going in west of Asheville near Candler as well--opens this year.
Cool thanks for the tips.

Is that other park the one that Seth has been helping with?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have 100% more confidence in Neko's barn welded prototype, than I do Intense coming up with a competitive World cup race bike.
I wonder (this may be common knowledge, I don't know), if Steber can weld full-on prototypes for the team, or whether they are constrained by the design of what they make available for sale to the general public?

It seems to me that a man of Steber's talents and background could easily make custom FRO frames for his team, no? Like he did back in the M1 days?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I wonder (this may be common knowledge, I don't know), if Steber can weld full-on prototypes for the team, or whether they are constrained by the design of what they make available for sale to the general public?

It seems to me that a man of Steber's talents and background could easily make custom FRO frames for his team, no? Like he did back in the M1 days?
They don't make any production aluminum bikes anymore, so I'd wager that they've lost some of those skills and capabilities.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
They don't make any production aluminum bikes anymore, so I'd wager that they've lost some of those skills and capabilities.
right, but Steber the welder isn't gone, and I have to assume he kept some welding equipment in his garage... I guess I'm wondering if they are tied to production models, or whether he has the ability to make one-off customs for this team.

And on that note, isn't there a UCI rule that prevents teams from racing prototypes? Isn't there a requirement that a bike be available for purchase within a year of a team racing on it? I seem to recall this was a thing when Santa Cruz starting rolling out the 27.5 and 29r frames... How is Neko getting around this rule?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
right, but Steber the welder isn't gone, and I have to assume he kept some welding equipment in his garage... I guess I'm wondering if they are tied to production models, or whether he has the ability to make one-off customs for this team.

And on that note, isn't there a UCI rule that prevents teams from racing prototypes? Isn't there a requirement that a bike be available for purchase within a year of a team racing on it? I seem to recall this was a thing when Santa Cruz starting rolling out the 27.5 and 29r frames... How is Neko getting around this rule?
I thought there was a rule about that or that you could have a prototype in use for a year or something?

But I don't see any rule mentioned in here:

Also didn't know there was a set of rules for downhill snow bikes. :confused:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I thought there was a rule about that or that you could have a prototype in use for a year or something?

But I don't see any rule mentioned in here:

Also didn't know there was a set of rules for downhill snow bikes. :confused:
the prototype rule is under the general rules. bikes must be commercialized within 1 year of being raced, with the option of a 1 year extension.

it's always seemed like there's a bit of leeway for using things like custom links on an otherwise production frame

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
the prototype rule is under the general rules. bikes must be commercialized within 1 year of being raced, with the option of a 1 year extension.

it's always seemed like there's a bit of leeway for using things like custom links on an otherwise production frame
Ah true, yeah here it is on page 6:

1642191782010.png

So based on these rules yeah theres obviously a whole bunch of conflicts out there. What about the custom dropouts that Greg used for a while?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ah true, yeah here it is on page 6:

View attachment 170340

So based on these rules yeah theres obviously a whole bunch of conflicts out there. What about the custom dropouts that Greg used for a while?
that document is not the rules. that is a clarification guide ***only as it applies to road, cyclocross, and track**

here is the actual rule:

1642192153337.png

looks like there was a rule change this year. this clause is new I think:

"Any equipment in development phase and not yet available for sale (prototype) must be subject of an authorisation request to the UCI Equipment Unit before its use. "

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
now, those are the rules as written in the rulebook. how strictly they are actually adhered to by UCI officials on a race day is a totally different story.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
this is just for bike racing. you should see the regulations for the industry I work in.
Well yeah thats the key thing, its just bike racing. It says something when they need to write a complete 2nd document as clarification of the original document.

I work for a publicly traded company so we have rules for our rules and there are rules for those rules. Thx SOX

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well yeah thats the key thing, its just bike racing. It says something when they need to write a complete 2nd document as clarification of the original document.

I work for a publicly traded company so we have rules for our rules and there are rules for those rules. Thx SOX
to be fair, there are a lot of rules from the UCI that apply to road/cx/track that don't apply to mountain biking.