Quantcast

2022 Racing/Team Rumors

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Teaser vid up!

Aside from the berm skidz, looks dope. I like the idea of utilizing social media to provide race reports. Gives him free reign to talk about what he wants, and he's the only person to blame since he picked out his components. Is there anyone else on the team with him? Would be a great way to provide some up and comers a chance.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Aside from the berm skidz, looks dope. I like the idea of utilizing social media to provide race reports. Gives him free reign to talk about what he wants, and he's the only person to blame since he picked out his components. Is there anyone else on the team with him? Would be a great way to provide some up and comers a chance.
no, just him. In the DT podcast interview he talks about registering with the UCI as a 1 Person team.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that being said, i personally wouldn't rule out additional riders in the future. It does seem like he's treating this season as a bit of an experiment. if it goes well i could see the team expanding. He talked a lot about budget for racing this season, in terms of covering expenses of getting to all the races and the support staff (mechanic, physio, and another role i'm blanking on). the budget was like $160k. but that's also without a salary for himself and his brother Luca (who is doing the filming for social media and the documentary). it does sound like the sponsors he's chosen are very supportive of his ideas for his team.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
haven't really paid close attention to mulally in the past, but after listening to the podcast, have to say i'm a new fan. solid dude. hoping the program goes well.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
haven't really paid close attention to mulally in the past, but after listening to the podcast, have to say i'm a new fan. solid dude. hoping the program goes well.
His low-key videos about testing, trail building and racing in South America were all very worthy of a watch. Sad that Intense is losing such a good ambassador of the sport. I think a lot of teams did not see his real value besides race results, otherwise they would have given him a video crew and pushed social media featuring him.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think the Syndicate changes as a whole are pretty significant as far as the silly season goes compared to most announcements thus far.
They were running as a 2 person team for 2020 after Vergier left (traditionally was a 3 person squad minimum). While Greg is still going strong, I'm sure they recognize he can't stay at this level forever. Part of me thinks that they are working to build a solid roster for the post Goat years - a top female rider, a very promising young rider, and a very talented podium contender.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that being said, i personally wouldn't rule out additional riders in the future. It does seem like he's treating this season as a bit of an experiment. if it goes well i could see the team expanding. He talked a lot about budget for racing this season, in terms of covering expenses of getting to all the races and the support staff (mechanic, physio, and another role i'm blanking on). the budget was like $160k. but that's also without a salary for himself and his brother Luca (who is doing the filming for social media and the documentary). it does sound like the sponsors he's chosen are very supportive of his ideas for his team.
one thing i think worthwhile to add here - in the same interview, he indicated all the sponsorship / support he's gotten is not results based. every sponsor was on board with his media based approach.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
They were running as a 2 person team for 2020 after Vergier left (traditionally was a 3 person squad minimum). While Greg is still going strong, I'm sure they recognize he can't stay at this level forever. Part of me thinks that they are working to build a solid roster for the post Goat years - a top female rider, a very promising young rider, and a very talented podium contender.
yup, I think it's a necessary shift to diversify the team across the demographics too

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
When I think about Neko, I always remember seeing him a few years ago at the MSA World Cup. He was walking up the track just before his race run. I guess he had somebody else bringing his bike in the Gondola.

I don't know if he always does that as a pre-race warm-up or if he just wanted to check something on the course before this particular race run. I just thought it was a bit unorthodox and awesome.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
looks like Greenland, Goldstone, and Hoffman to Syndicate to join the Goat. Official announcement tomorrow.
apparently Peaty is back too, he was part of the announcement, although i'm not sure if this means he's coming back to racing?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
apparently Peaty is back too, he was part of the announcement, although i'm not sure if this means he's coming back to racing?

Says in the announcement that he's staying on as a coach.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
ah must've missed that part. or is it posted elsewhere?
It's in the Instagram writeup in the link that you posted.

"@stevepeat also continues on as COACH, gracing the pit and hillside with his un-rivalled race knowledge and guidance. A 'Gandalf of Gravity' you could say."

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The cult of Peaty really irritates me... no sure why, but I find it really off-putting. "Gandalf of Gravity"... give me a fricken break. ugh. time to retire and let others take their spot in the limelight.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The cult of Peaty really irritates me... no sure why, but I find it really off-putting. "Gandalf of Gravity"... give me a fricken break. ugh. time to retire and let others take their spot in the limelight.
I met Peaty at the GT trailer in 98 at Mount Snow when I was riding for Riteway Products and he was a cool dude and very friendly.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Peaty is a true legend of a sport where the term "Legend" is thrown around way way too often. I think its cool that he is still floating around contributing to a scene he helped build, and obviously still loves.
Would be awesome to see more of the true O.G's of the sport to still be involved in the scene.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Peaty is a true legend of a sport where the term "Legend" is thrown around way way too often. I think its cool that he is still floating around contributing to a scene he helped build, and obviously still loves.
Would be awesome to see more of the true O.G's of the sport to still be involved in the scene.
Others are as well. Kovarik and Hans Rey come to mind. And what about our friend that has troubles with parking?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
My goals for the next few years are to refocus on World Cup Downhill racing, be a regular top 10 finisher and a podium contender, like I know I can be. Signing with Forbidden has given me a huge kick in motivation and I cannot wait to put more time in on the bikes and start ticking off my goals!” - Connor Fearon

Hell yes, that's where he needs to be. No more EWS BS.

It will be cool to see another new DH rig from a North American brand, I bet WeAreOne will have one in the near future as well.

DH is alive and kicking!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
My goals for the next few years are to refocus on World Cup Downhill racing, be a regular top 10 finisher and a podium contender, like I know I can be. Signing with Forbidden has given me a huge kick in motivation and I cannot wait to put more time in on the bikes and start ticking off my goals!” - Connor Fearon
I just hope they put him on smaller wheels again. Since switching to 29ers his runs are way less entertaining than they were before.