Quantcast

2022 Racing/Team Rumors

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
using your retarded scale of excellence our very own seven foot tall national treasure of downhill Ben Cathro has more podiums listed on roots and rain than Gwin or Neko.
As successful a (domestic) racing carrer as Ben has had he'd be the first to agree he's never been in the same league as Aaron. And I'm fairly sure Neko would say the same.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
using your retarded scale of excellence our very own seven foot tall national treasure of downhill Ben Cathro has more podiums listed on roots and rain than Gwin or Neko.
As successful a (domestic) racing carrer as Ben has had he'd be the first to agree he's never been in the same league as Aaron. And I'm fairly sure Neko would say the same.
How exactly are career podiums a retarded scale of gauging a riders overall performance?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Exactly this. ⏫

how long a carer, how many and which races entered also makes a massive difference.

I'd be surprised if any top 10 WC rider were not to podium in their national domestic races.
Oh.. and America just doesn't have the talent at domestic DH races compared to many other countries. UK for example.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Connor Fearon just snapped up the Aus Nationals title on a Forbidden Dreadnought with 180mm Boxxer. Epic work, wonder if he'll be using that setup at WCs or whether they'll have a DH rig ready

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't know for sure, but I think this is bad news for racing:

I said it in the comments, I'll gladly pay to watch a broadcast of the races, but I'm not buying a cable subscription, or even paying for access to their full catalogue of whatever they offer... I hope this doesn't mean the end of watching DH racing for me. :(
That sucks. Red Bull put into the sport and didn't really ask for anything back, from its viewers at least. At they make it super easy to watch live or watch the replay - yeah it's not perfect, but it works most of the time.

Hopefully it's free and hopefully they don't screw with the format too much. It's a race and not some sideshow parade with a bunch of drama.

If they are going to charge money, will some of that go towards the riders? I'd hope so.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That sucks. Red Bull put into the sport and didn't really ask for anything back, from its viewers at least. At they make it super easy to watch live or watch the replay - yeah it's not perfect, but it works most of the time.

Hopefully it's free and hopefully they don't screw with the format too much. It's a race and not some sideshow parade with a bunch of drama.

If they are going to charge money, will some of that go towards the riders? I'd hope so.
They will probably turn it into a reality show. Riders will be required to be polygamous/800lbs/naked/inbred and the winner will be voted on.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
everyone here is really old. do you not remember when mtb racing was actually on TV?
Like, live dual racing on Saturday night on Eurosport… and some norba race from wisconsin on at 2am on ESPN2 on a Wednesday in January..

The media content wasn’t great but “real” tv means significantly more earning potential for athletes than “captive” redbull TV.
Actual auditable viewership numbers mean more potential for real sponsorship for athletes and teams.

The current redbull coverage is all-time good- but unless you live in a country where a territorial broadcaster buys the feed, the local Chevy dealer probably DGAF about lending you a van for the season, etc.
To expand mtb athletes relevance outside social media metrics, they neeeeed tv. imo

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The advantage of the streaming feed is we get to watch everything live if the time works out, or watch the replay at a convenient time.

If a race conflicts with a hand egg game in Murica or turning left in cars, I know which will end up on delayed broadcast at 3am.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
everyone here is really old. do you not remember when mtb racing was actually on TV?
Like, live dual racing on Saturday night on Eurosport… and some norba race from wisconsin on at 2am on ESPN2 on a Wednesday in January..

The media content wasn’t great but “real” tv means significantly more earning potential for athletes than “captive” redbull TV.
Actual auditable viewership numbers mean more potential for real sponsorship for athletes and teams.

The current redbull coverage is all-time good- but unless you live in a country where a territorial broadcaster buys the feed, the local Chevy dealer probably DGAF about lending you a van for the season, etc.
To expand mtb athletes relevance outside social media metrics, they neeeeed tv. imo
But then the rights holders should also be required to make the footage available. Every year I cannot watch the DH world champs race because the rights are with a local broadcasting company that decides to only to show the XC race. Need to work my way around geoblocks to see the Red Bull feed.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Wonder if this also means the end of Warner (and Elliot Jackson/Tracey Hannah) announcing the races? I know Warner has other announcing gigs, but it'd be shame if they replaced him with some blow hard hype man who doesn't know fuck all about WC racing....although I guess that might open the job up for someone like me.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

Yep, people always bitch about riders not earning enough for what they do, but how the hell are you going to earn money with no proof that anybody even watches your sport?

That’s the reason roadies make more despite being really, really boring compared to WCDH.

To the nay sayers, fear not, this is a modern world and there are bootlegs of everything availableon the internet.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I guess we (or they, the athletes) just have to wait and see I guess. I'd wager a bet though that this will have little impact on payouts to the athletes being broadcast, but it'll have more benefit for the profits of Discovery and the UCI.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Interestingly, it looks like Red Bull got kicked out by the UCI:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I'm just worried Bear Grylls will be commentating and trying to sell us his sports drink.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
We need a new production house: Neko TV

N-TV (maybe have Neko in full kit standing on the moon with a USA flag): the next main sponsor for WC DH. Instead of Mercedes, the vehicle sponsor would be his shuttle bus and obviously Oscar Blues would be the "energy drink" sponsor.

Make WC sponsorship great again.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Do any of you guys ever think you may be being a little optimistic over what sort of WC results Neko is actually still capable of?
Hasn't it been 5 years or so since he scored his last top 10 result? and although I'm also really enjoying his bike development videos I don't think his new bike is doing anything better than an off the shelf TREK.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Do any of you guys ever think you may be being a little optimistic over what sort of WC results Neko is actually still capable of?
Hasn't it been 5 years or so since he scored his last top 10 result? and although I'm also really enjoying his bike development videos I don't think his new bike is doing anything better than an off the shelf TREK.
Who is to say, He may not be in the top tier right now but a lot can be said about confidence and training without borders or management. I think he is still the underdog but is doing it very well.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
and I wish him well.
but the proof of whether he's "doing it well" is yet to be seen.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i'm stoked on what he's doing but agree with @Gary - first place against no one on a crap track in costa rica means nothing. curious to see how he'd fare against better US competition at somewhere better/closer to an actual WC track like Windrock. anyone know if he's doing the race there in early March? only a few weeks 'til go time either way...

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
He seems genuinely happy and stoked on what he's doing, and it would be awesome if it does translate into WC results....but I'm not convinced it will at this point.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
I don't think anyone is or was suggesting he was going to start winning or podium hunting WCs. But if he starts putting up consistent top 20 or 30 results, that would be a big step in the right direction. As we know, so much of going mach WC is confidence and head game, and if he's in a good head space because he genuinely likes the way his bike performs, I'd wager he can put up some very solid results.

Besides, the surname Mulally doesn't sound French, so he's not allowed to win anyway. :phone:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't think anyone is or was suggesting he was going to start winning or podium hunting WCs. But if he starts putting up consistent top 20 or 30 results, that would be a big step in the right direction. As we know, so much of going mach WC is confidence and head game, and if he's in a good head space because he genuinely likes the way his bike performs, I'd wager he can put up some very solid results.

Besides, the surname Mulally doesn't sound French, so he's not allowed to win anyway. :phone:
When he said he was more nervous for a race than ever it made me think he has so much more personally invested in this season than he has had riding for a team. A lot of people need a certain spark to take them to the next level. If his results do improve this year I wouldn't credit the bike.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I think the idea that he needs to win a world cup or even podium at worlds level to prove himself is a little unfair. I'd say consistent top 20 would be more than impressive

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
When he said he was more nervous for a race than ever it made me think he has so much more personally invested in this season than he has had riding for a team. A lot of people need a certain spark to take them to the next level. If his results do improve this year I wouldn't credit the bike.
While I would never say he's going to jump 40 spots just because his bike is somehow magically better than the Intense, I do believe he'll be more confident on it and likely have better results. Its all interconnected imo.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wrong thread dingus

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
wrong thread dingus

d'oh! (but in reality, since the teams and riders didn't know about it, I suppose it could be treated as a racing/team rumor?!?! :D, plus, that thread is now about riding with Ben in Champéry...)