Quantcast

2022 Racing/Team Rumors

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
He's a lower 1/3 rider (results-wise) who's said that he's not even competing any longer, and that OF bag is likely more than the base salaries of many top riders with industry sponsorships.

Mountain bike money peaked in the mid-90s. I can't imagine what the agreements look like this year with marketing budgets all but eliminated.

Let's get Rocky Roads back.

Edit: "dong", because OnlyFans

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Canyon moving to Pirelli as well.

Pirelli throwing some budget at breaking into this game in a big way. Wonder how good the tyres are, a lot of good stuff around now.
Competition in this case is a good thing.
Just hope they get a good selection of rubber / carcass.
I'm one of those who like a trail casing with really sticky rubber up front. Lots of roots, not too many rocks. The new Conty stuff looks interesting, but no x soft in trail.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Canyon moving to Pirelli as well.

Pirelli throwing some budget at breaking into this game in a big way. Wonder how good the tyres are, a lot of good stuff around now.
when the tyres are 120-130 Aud a pop, any wonder they don’t want big action in the mtb space. Now there’s a market for 2nd tyres they’ve got so dear.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Asa Vermette on Frameworks with Neko is a classy move. Secures Neko one of the fastest up and coming riders in the US, and gives a young guy a great mentor and access to testing at a level he probably won’t appreciate for some years (until he’s raced on a bigger team with one stock frame and sponsor enforced choices).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Asa is riding Frameworks frames, but as a privateer(hence the DVO stuff, etc).
3 or 4 Southeastern juniors are on Frameworks frames right now, too.
out of curiosity, i'm assuming they were able to obtain frames through connections with Neko, yes? i didn't see frames listed for sale on the website as of yet

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
In his last video, he talked about having a bunch (~50) of certain parts (like headset cups) made up for this upcoming season for other guys riding his frames. He made some comments that one of the best ways to stress test the frame design was to give it to a bunch of young up & coming riders who will flog the ever living hell out of them.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque

Be interesting to see how they all go on the Pirelli stuff. Must have been some coin to get them to step away from their own in-house Bontrager offerings.
I see it going more like this.
Pirelli : We want more tire exposure.
Trek : I don't know we have our own tires.
Pirelli : We give you tires and pay you money.
Trek : Give us a moment could you hold please....
Internal Trek conversation : Pirelli wants to give us tires and money, thoughts?
So they give us tires and money and we save the money and tires we make to sell for more money?
Sounds about right.
Say yes but don't sound happy about it, make it sound like it pained us to make that decision.
Trek : Well you drive a hard bargain, but if you bring some of us to Italy we could possibly work something out. (mutes phone call) shhh stop laughing they might hear you!

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
In his last video, he talked about having a bunch (~50) of certain parts (like headset cups) made up for this upcoming season for other guys riding his frames. He made some comments that one of the best ways to stress test the frame design was to give it to a bunch of young up & coming riders who will flog the ever living hell out of them.
I was excited to see this cause it suggests the frames will be available for purchase by mere mortals at some point.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
It seems like Trek would love to go racing with a company that actually owns a tire factory (Pirelli).
The marketing blurbs talk about how they are making the tires in Italy.
Compared to being the client of a vendor, “Factory Racing” is a hell of a lot better, one would assume?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It seems like Trek would love to go racing with a company that actually owns a tire factory (Pirelli).
The marketing blurbs talk about how they are making the tires in Italy.
Compared to being the client of a vendor, “Factory Racing” is a hell of a lot better, one would assume?
knowing that trek has its bontrager tires, makes me wonder if this is also them shopping for a new factory for their own branded tires......

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Kasper and Jack could be a sick combo for EW-whatever it is these days!
Kasper is due some good luck this year, dude is fast if he stays off the dirt and pump track.... :D

Hopefully Shark Attack can do some DH racing too.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Team camp?
I've really enjoyed Moi Moi TV with a lot of Jack's riding or when he's been filming at a WC but fuck me that team camp shit vlog or whatever it's meant to be is a challenging wank. These cunts really are dull AF off the bike.
Think I'll stick to Love island from now on

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I know this discussion has been rehashed over and over, but the more years go by, the less interested I am in Enduro/ews. The old jokes about people who race EWS being slow and not able to cut it in WC DH aside, it's just pretty boring as far as watching. The majority of my rides fit within an "enduro" umbrella these days but I'll be fucked if I want to go watch somebody else do it. There are pretty much 0 moments on the descents where I think "this wouldn't be better on a DH bike" and if there are, its not a trail I like.

The more time I spend spinning pedals on a mountain bike, the more I'm convinced that mountain bikes shouldn't have chains, and trails you can't ride chainless shouldn't exist. I don't care about the EWS in the same way I don't care about the Zwift world championships.

Glad Moir was able to follow his heart and race Zwift or EWS or whatever though

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Wait, wut? There is such a thing as a "Zwift World Championship"? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Who knows? Not me, that's for sure, for much the same reason that I do my best not to know what's happening in EWS land. It's boring and not relevant to my interests.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013

Woop Woop. I wish Slavek still rode DH but him getting proper factory super is great no matter what type of riding he does. The guy was fast. It's a bummer non rich kids from smaller countries don't often get noticed because they don't race with the big guys often enough. He had the speed to compete in DH too.
This guy had more chances than most to get noticed at the WC level. I remember cheering for the guy maybe once or twice when he made the live feed (I think) could have been a crankworx event though? Because he was an underdog.
He should fair much better in Enduro, everyone who makes the switch does.
But to say he had the speed to compete in WC DH? Hard no

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Id been interested to see where Josh Lewis turned up after Santa Cruz fired all its U.K. jib crew…I’d been expecting my him and Chris Akrigg (new ride not announced, but he’s off GT) to be signing with Cannondale, but it looks like that’s off the cards.

turns out Josh Lewis has gone to Scor, and Akrigg is still unannounced.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
This guy had more chances than most to get noticed at the WC level. I remember cheering for the guy maybe once or twice when he made the live feed (I think) could have been a crankworx event though? Because he was an underdog.
He should fair much better in Enduro, everyone who makes the switch does.
But to say he had the speed to compete in WC DH? Hard no
He has been racing Enduro for 2 years with amazing results (6th overall last year). So he is doing better.

As for "chances" he got to race world cups pretty late but in 2017 he got 21st, 20th and 16th at 3 different world cups and ended with a higher overall positio than Bernard Kerr, David Trummer, Reece Willson while not being able to start in 1 race and DNFing another one.

Also it was a bigger comment about how hard it is for people from poorer countries to break through. Riding in a country with a lot of known athletes means you are closer to industry people so it's easier to get noticed. Not to mention you can learn from faster riders and be featured in their vids + have a lot of media where you live. (there is a reason many places blew up after getting 1 super strong local rider).

Sure I get why it happens. Poorer countries sell fewer bikes and generally you want visible athletes so it's easier for the ones closer to the media but it is a bummer. I don't know Slavek personally but I remember his quali times and his splits. He clearly had the speed. Imho he could easily be a top20 regular with factory support. The guy was getting beating all the local pros as a junior and while the local pros were not top20 they did from time to time get a decent WC result.