Quantcast

2022 Racing/Team Rumors

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
at different times of the day and different track conditions
You're right. Jackson and Jordan had to get up unfeasably early and race bleary eyed through lack of sleep.

accept the facts
lehikonnen won champery. he was the fastest down that hill. nobody deserved it more than him
Vallnord was bone dry for Jackson's run... and also for whatever Elite won their race.
similar story for Jordan at Val Di Sole..

Matty still deserved his win especially with the run of ridiculously bad luck that dude had in his riding career. Granted Sam put on an incredible display of riding for us we'll never forget.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Nico and Sam weren't much bigger
Truth. There hasn't been a "big guy" winning DH since Kovarik/Rennie. Peaty and Minaar are tall for sure, but they'd both get murdered by the smallest guy on a rugby field. Amaury looked absolutely ripped at the start of last season but you're talking about body composition not bulk muscle there.

I don't think high BMI, even if it is all muscle is helping anyone in the DH game anymore - it blows out the braking distances too much. I reckon Jackson and Jordan are going to do just fine in Elites, they're both bonkers good.

If I was one of the the 2022 Elites that was borderline on qualifying, the new quali rules and last years Juniors stepping up would have me sweating like a wookie in a sauna.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nah. Peaty's pretty solid man. I stood next to Nathan and Steve at Fort William start hut at an SDA they both turned up to when both were on Santacruz syndicate. You wouldn't really pick a fight with either. even if you were a little hooker ;)

Back then Nathan was way too stylish on a bike for ginger guy of his size.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Every time someone mentions Amoury being so ripped now it reminds me of when Gee did the same, like a 6ft 3 Bruce Lee. didn't stop him getting battered by a manc stoner tho. :brows: Who BTW is also a Kovarik build but taller...

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
You're right. Jackson and Jordan had to get up unfeasably early and race bleary eyed through lack of sleep.

Vallnord was bone dry for Jackson's run... and also for whatever Elite won their race.
similar story for Jordan at Val Di Sole..

Matty still deserved his win especially with the run of ridiculously bad luck that dude had in his riding career. Granted Sam put on an incredible display of riding for us we'll never forget.
I always thought Sam got more credit than Danny for an All World display of a pure mud run. I thought Gwin was going to defy all odds and beat Danny’s run. He was up over a second for half the run before going into the net. That one still hurts. It was Insane,probably my Favorite,even with his loss. He was killing it.

Avy

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Nah. Peaty's pretty solid man. I stood next to Nathan and Steve at Fort William start hut at an SDA they both turned up to when both were on Santacruz syndicate. You wouldn't really pick a fight with either. even if you were a little hooker ;)

Back then Nathan was way too stylish on a bike for ginger guy of his size.
This.
Talked to Peaty at MSA for a minute last year.
I'm 6'2 and just over 200lbs.
He is NOT a small man.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I always thought Sam got more credit than Danny for an All World display of a pure mud run. I thought Gwin was going to defy all odds and beat Danny’s run. He was up over a second for half the run before going into the net. That one still hurts. It was Insane,probably my Favorite,even with his loss. He was killing it.

Avy
Danny's world champs run with Warner and Pagey going wild on the mics is one of the most viral mtb videos of all time. Most folk who've viewed it wouldn't know who Sam Hill was. Nevermind some ginger guy who crashed out half way down the track.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Danny's world champs run with Warner and Pagey going wild on the mics is one of the most viral mtb videos of all time. Most folk who've viewed it wouldn't know who Sam Hill was. Nevermind some ginger guy who crashed out half way down the track.
Easy Tiger,he was Last for a reason,as you well know. I am sure the Freaks like us know full well about those runs.

I only brought up ginger cause he was right after and at that point I had thought I’d seen it all? Also it was a World Champ race again that got away.

Speaking of that race,I saw this incredible YouTube video. On that course,with guy who designed the track,with side by side real video of Danny and Gwin’s run,with him stopping on the trail and talking about it. The Gate was right there,off the ramp and tight turns in poring rain.

It was some odd guy that I came across? Can’t think of what his name or video was called? Damit!
There was three of them,the YT guide was in over his head from the start,plus the designer and his girlfriend.
Avy off to look for it.

Avy

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Easy Tiger,he was Last for a reason,as you well know. I am sure the Freaks like us know full well about those runs.

I only brought up ginger cause he was right after and at that point I had thought I’d seen it all? Also it was a World Champ race again that got away.

Speaking of that race,I saw this incredible YouTube video. On that course,with guy who designed the track,with side by side real video of Danny and Gwin’s run,with him stopping on the trail and talking about it. The Gate was right there,off the ramp and tight turns in poring rain.

It was some odd guy that I came across? Can’t think of what his name or video was called? Damit!
There was three of them,the YT guide was in over his head from the start,plus the designer and his girlfriend.
Avy off to look for it.

Avy
Sounds like you are talking about this video.

We are having DH Worlds in Champery again in 2025, btw.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Yeah,I think Goldstein will be tough. My only concern is he is a small man,in a brutal sport that takes strength,he has the Skill,leaving only the Mental game. I forgot the name of the German BadBoy coming up? He is a threat,and a larger lad right on Goldsteins ass.

If memory serves me,the Best Record of a Jr coming into to Pro’s the last 15 years is Brosnan. Am I correct?

Avy
Goldilocks would probably be bigger by now if not for all that time spent smashing his nuts up to his throat on the push bike. Those things are likely to never drop now.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Yeah she was on a Ransom with a 40. Her Ransom is currently built up with a 38 for pedaling.
Sweet!
Good to see that I have a correct bike for the track if one day, the stars aligning and me putting my life together, I managed to pay you a visit

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Sounds like you are talking about this video.

We are having DH Worlds in Champery again in 2025, btw.
Oh Man do I feel stupid. I should have known,I knew about Scott,Wife etc,but I did not know? Even with the YT guy on a Scott,and the location,I did not put it together? The terrain and the story had me buggin,funny how you can tell how steep it is,I was all caught up in it buck. Sorry Brother. I guess I am the only one,everyone else knew. You have mad skills Brother,Dam! Rockin just some soft knees and a full face. I would be Bubble Wrap man lookin like the fuckin Michelin Man,just bouncing down the trail if I crash. There goes Avy. Full Suit,hip’s,tail bone,knee shin the works. That trail is Nasty,as beautiful as it is.

Curious,is that on the YT thread here? If so,I did not see it,but it is a old video.

Were you there in 07?

Avy

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Redwood,I am not getting it? Are you Hating Brother?

Avy
You have to see the video of little toddler Goldstone doing hucks to flat on a balance bike with no pedals to understand. There's no way you could do that once your balls had dropped. It was brutal stuff.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You have to see the video of little toddler Goldstone doing hucks to flat on a balance bike with no pedals to understand. There's no way you could do that once your balls had dropped. It was brutal stuff.
I mean you could, but probably only once.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I see,thank you.

Avy

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Oh Man do I feel stupid. I should have known,I knew about Scott,Wife etc,but I did not know? Even with the YT guy on a Scott,and the location,I did not put it together? The terrain and the story had me buggin,funny how you can tell how steep it is,I was all caught up in it buck. Sorry Brother. I guess I am the only one,everyone else knew. You have mad skills Brother,Dam! Rockin just some soft knees and a full face. I would be Bubble Wrap man lookin like the fuckin Michelin Man,just bouncing down the trail if I crash. There goes Avy. Full Suit,hip’s,tail bone,knee shin the works. That trail is Nasty,as beautiful as it is.

Curious,is that on the YT thread here? If so,I did not see it,but it is a old video.

Were you there in 07?

Avy
No worries.

Thanks Avy!

Yes, I was 4x and DH race director in 2007. I moved here in 2001.

This edit with Vinny T is pretty good on that track.

@canadmos Old track mostly but with a bunch of new sections to keep it raw. I’m tying to start a bit higher up the hill to get some high speed natural grassy stuff before dropping into the woods. A lot of the race lines haven’t been ridden in years so they are pretty rough in a good way. Legally I have 6 meters wide to use so I will take the track off into the steep roots where it is too bike parky. We will have European Champs in 2024 and DH Worlds in 2025.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Wait,wait ,wait. So Sam Is on Nuke,and Rude on Yeti,is that right? So,Yeti does not have money for WC. If they did,we would see them. They could not afford the 2nd Best DH rider in the World,my Boy,the Slayer of America,the Cheese Grader of the French,and the Last Call for the Fuckin Aussies.

I think it was Gary,or woo,forgive me I am not sure? Fuckin Boys think they can come to Real DH and compete.
I speak of Rude here,the only guy I can think of that did pretty good is Maes from GT. That was not every race,so I think that will be the same for Rude,GT has more money than Yeti.

As for Sam,I am not going to say Jack Shit,I only hope this Cluster Fuck season will be good.

Avy
Richie was the DH world champ as a Junior, was on a different level in EWS than Maes.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Richie was the DH world champ as a Junior, was on a different level in EWS than Maes.
I am not sure what you are saying about Richie on a different level? Being a Jr.Champ,having more wins than Maes in EWS,or just an all around better rider?

I was tryin to say that of All EWS riders coming into DH,Maes was the best with the few races he had. If I am wrong,I am all ears.

I don’t think Richie will do a lot of DH Races for Yeti. Especially with the New Entry Fee imposed which is a complete Greedy Fuckin Scam. I hope I am wrong,I would Love to see him on the Grit.

I can not imagine how hard it is for one going from EWS to DH? It’s not that they can’t ride it,it’s being at the
top 10. To me,that is the Best of the Best. All World,One of the Fastest on Earth,The Real Mcoy,Crem da La Crem,Bown Down Bitch.

Sam went the opposite route and got his 3 titles. IMHO,that is the easier route to take as nothing compares to the DH. Richie is in for a Hell of a Ride. I have Sam in Top 5 Greatest of All Time.

I cant wait to see Sam back in DH. The Stress/Mental level between Sam and Richie this year will be a much harder ordeal for Richie. Poor Little Sausage.

Avy

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I was tryin to say that of All EWS riders coming into DH,Maes was the best with the few races he had. If I am wrong,I am all ears.
How many has there been though? Most riders go the other way, starting in DH and moving to Enduro as they get older, injured, drop off the pace or get offered a contract to ride Enduro (Moir).

At the top level its hard to have the physical specificity to do both well, despite the skills to back it up. Props to the absolute legends that have managed to podium, let alone win at both. I think that list is basically just Rude, Maes, Hill, ACC & Moseley. Maybe I've missed some?

I'm sure there will be more in the future though - with DH tightening the number of riders that make it through to the final cut I think there might be some riders becoming disenchanted if they're not getting into the final. Plus sponsors might try and get them into doing both for more exposure/bang for their buck.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Maes did come from DH

Graves & Leov also both had decent success in DH and Derp
Don't forget the Frenchy: Vouilloz and Barrel :boss:
I was just trying to think of people who have won at both. Barel has, but did Nico win an EWS as well? He dominated in the E-EWS for a bit.

Anyway yes, turns out being good at bikes doesn't discriminate against fanny packs