Quantcast

2023 Garden thread

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I should probably plant my tomato seeds...
This is true. I did f'all last year, so I should at least make the effort this year.

It's supposed to be nice this weekend, perhaps I shall head to the Home Deeeeeepot for some dirt.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We got a cheap little greenhouse thing to help get some stuff started early. Probably should have started the seeds even earlier..

Does anyone collect rain water? We're looking at picking up some cheap barrels, to help cut down on the cost of water. Would just need to get some filters off Amazon and a spigot from the local hardware store. Anything else I'm missing? What about mosquitoes in that thing? And I'm guessing we don't want black barrels, to cut down on heating the water up too much?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
We got a cheap little greenhouse thing to help get some stuff started early. Probably should have started the seeds even earlier..

Does anyone collect rain water? We're looking at picking up some cheap barrels, to help cut down on the cost of water. Would just need to get some filters off Amazon and a spigot from the local hardware store. Anything else I'm missing? What about mosquitoes in that thing? And I'm guessing we don't want black barrels, to cut down on heating the water up too much?
I collect rainwater off my neighbor's garage. Just a barrel under the downspout. The hard part is getting the water to our grow spot. Its clean for the most part. It doesn't even get nasty when it sits for a while. My neighbors have dedicated their back porch for our preliminary growing season. However, their dog is mean and goes nuts when I go near the grow spot or the porch.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
its almost that time, doing some fixes / updates on the garden. the lower wall was starting to lean over, so dug the dirt back, pull the boards, and reset the columns. was a bit easier than i was anticipating.

adding a drain pipe from the gravel walkway section to allow for drainage, whenever it rains that section floods.

1681393339261.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ordered three 55 gallon rain barrels from a local fundraiser on here https://rainbarrel.ca/

I was searching local listings for used ones, but damn they are expensive. For $55 per barrel, I get the barrel (duh), screen/filter, bulkhead spigot and a 4 foot overflow hose.

I think I'll end up daisy chaining two of the barrels together, depending on how quickly they fill. Just need to find some scrap blocks of wood to raise they up a little big, to make getting a hose on there or the watering can under them a little easier.

This should help reduce our water bill and consumption. Its too bad that water is so expensive, even living a few hundred feet from a huge lake. I wonder of its against any bylaws for those living on the water, to pump water from the lake and use that for gardens?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just this lone guy and not where I planted it last year, but that's okay.

Any tips for growing asparagus? And making the most of it..

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
12x5 beds with carrot, radish, green and yellow zucchini. The radishes bolt once it gets too hot (but so tasty in the short term!) Something else in there after.
Jalapeños and shishitos behind.

Arugula, rainbow Swiss chard, mixed lettuces. In a shader area than the main bed otherwise they immediately go to seed once hot/humid enough.

We are doing a bunch of deck power washing and refinishing/staining this summer so the stuff that I would usually plant around the deck and use it as a trellis for will be planted in big pots.

Soon to be several varieties of tomato.

Some tomato pots up front. Herbs here.
Perennial cilantro, thyme, dill, oregano, marjoram. Added some parsley this year. A sage plant on the side of the garage keeps coming back and getting larger and larger every year. The rosemary and basil go in pots and come inside in the Winter (is coming!) because they will not survive outside otherwise

20230504_164234.jpg
20230504_164305.jpg
20230504_164333.jpg
20230504_164416.jpg
20230504_164522.jpg

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Very nice! I started in on prepping the garden today. Pulled down all the old tomato plants and cages preparing for hitting it with the tiller mañana. Hopefully we can get everything in the dirt before we skedaddle for Switzerland.

Also set up the drip irrigation controller and checked all the drip ends to make sure nothing was wonky.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
For peppers like jalapeños and poblanos, do you guys keep your own seeds, buy seeds or buy plants?

I've just been buying plants up until now, as they are pretty cheap and with the random frosts and really deep cold nights that can happen pretty much anytime until May, it's too much work otherwise. But now with the little greenhouse, maybe I can switch things up next year? Would definitely need to look into a temp sensitive heater...though at first glance they are all $$$.

Still waiting for the local garden place to get their stuff in. No tomatoes or peppers yet. Hopefully soon.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Just this lone guy and not where I planted it last year, but that's okay.

Any tips for growing asparagus? And making the most of it..

Did you plant roots or seed? Let it grow out and do it's thing - next year will be better. When it's throwing multiple shoots, keep cutting them off and eating them and they'll continue to throw shoots. After a couple weeks of eating the shoots, let some grow out and do their thing to make sure the roots/rhizome are healthy for next year.

At least thats how I handle the asparagus in my yard.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I planted roots last summer. By end of the year a few sprigs popped up but I didn't touch them.

These are definitely thicker...so let them go a little and then chop them off and they should keep multiplying? One spot has three popping up now and the other has two - it's been pretty cold at night and not much sun lately, so they have appeared to have slowed down.

Not sure how long we'll live here, but I wish I had put them in a better spot. I got the roots on sale, like a few bucks and just tossed them into the garden at random. So now we'll see where they come up... :rofl:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
They pop up all over the place! At least in my yard I've got over a dozen little asparagus groves and it seems like theres new groves forming too. Commercially they harvest the stalks for a couple weeks and then let them grow into the giant fernlike bushes.

Here is two little groves side by side - the one in the foreground doesnt have a giant wad of last years ferns while the grive behind it is coming out of last years ferns.

Resized_20230506_172346.jpeg

Heres some stalks we cut today

Resized_20230506_184849.jpeg

They pop up all over the place! At least in my yard I've got over a dozen little asparagus groves and it seems like theres new groves forming too. Commercially they harvest the stalks for a couple weeks and then let them grow into the giant fernlike bushes.

Here is two little groves side by side - the one in the foreground doesnt have a giant wad of last years ferns while the grive behind it is coming out of last years ferns.

View attachment 193489

View attachment 193490
We have them in the back yard, but not enough to harvest. Leeks, on the other hand, acres.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Laid in the "cold tolerant" plants yesterday. Probably should have done it a couple weeks ago, but what ever. Cauliflower, Broccoli, Kale, Potatoes in feed sacks, and some Lettuce. New this year a couple rail planters for herbs. If that goes well I'll probably buy more.

Also experimenting with a pretty useless space between our house and the neighbors to the north. Small space that gets lots of sun, and is roasting hot in the summer. The plan here is just for 4-6 San Marzano plants and if that if it goes well I'll makes sauce out of them.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004

View attachment 193489

View attachment 193490
I think they love certain climates better than others as well. I mean, well of course. My grandparents lived in Omak and I recall visiting and seen my grandmother out harvesting asparagus. Stuff that she had never planted. Sometimes while driving around. We'd stop and she'd grad some from the side of the road

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I think they love certain climates better than others as well. I mean, well of course. My grandparents lived in Omak and I recall visiting and seen my grandmother out harvesting asparagus. Stuff that she had never planted. Sometimes while driving around. We'd stop and she'd grad some from the side of the road
Respect to your grandparents. Did they grow tree fruit up there? I half expect to hear @kidwoo is moving up into the Colville soon.