Quantcast

2023 Garden thread

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've got a healthy supply of new weeds and some dead grass leftover from last summer.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
These chives got too hot, oops. Oh well, more seeds.

Snow/sugar peas are growing steadily.

Spicey oregano is going well. It's so good...

One jalepeno plant.

This 'mater plant died in the frost/sub zero temps the other night. Oh well, will replace with a poblano.

Oh yeah mang

Also grabbed this strawberry plant. No idea, it was $2. We'll see...

Chopped down all the random asparagus sprigs. Maybe it'll promote more to grow?

picea abies acrocona - was in a sorry state when I picked it up some years ago and finally starting to show off. I like conifers.

View attachment 193957
I'd like to pet those...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This '?mater that got bit by frost and/or sub zero tempts has sprouted some new stuff. Moved it to a pot, so we'll see. Replaced it with a poblano plant.

Moved the chives to a bigger home. They do produce some lovely flowers.

First strawberry incoming. Need to put up the mesh. :panic:

Anyone want to come grab some of this spicey oregano? It's going nuts. :brows:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Two 12 x 5 beds. Cakes & zukes. Tomatoes. Radish and carrot.
20230531_150858.jpg
20230531_154435.jpg

Two 2 x 6 beds of greens. Swiss chard, arugula, mixed lettuces. Scraggly. Coming along. Watering this eve.
20230531_154343.jpg

Pots of tomatoes and strawberry/peppers/basil around the deck. Normally would be in ground, but we're going to wash and re-stain it soon.
20230531_154259.jpg

Front and side bits. More pots (tomatoes, basil, rosemary) and perrennial herbs (dill, cilantro, marjoram, oregano, thyme, sage) mixed with the perennial ornamentals. Jalapeños, shishitos, one ghost pepper.
20230531_154536.jpg
20230531_154423.jpg
20230531_154559.jpg

Attachments

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Two 12 x 5 beds. Cakes & zukes. Tomatoes. Radish and carrot.
View attachment 194524View attachment 194525

Two 2 x 6 beds of greens. Swiss chard, arugula, mixed lettuces. Scraggly. Coming along. Watering this eve.
View attachment 194526

Pots of tomatoes and strawberry/peppers/basil around the deck. Normally would be in ground, but we're going to wash and re-stain it soon.
View attachment 194527

Front and side bits. More pots (tomatoes, basil, rosemary) and perrennial herbs (dill, cilantro, marjoram, oregano, thyme, sage) mixed with the perennial ornamentals. Jalapeños, shishitos, one ghost pepper.
View attachment 194528View attachment 194529View attachment 194530
Great. Now I'm hungry for cake.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friend Ko and her dog have completely taken over the Garden. I just look at things. I have no idea what is going on. We have Roses. I have no idea who planted them. Thorny bastards. I do not see their value.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Fuck me... I think we have had a single day that hit 80F so far. Tomatoes and squash could use some sun and heat, FFS.

At least we haven't had any extinction-level hail storms... yet. :disgust:
Hasn't been out of the 50's here since Saturday morning. Not "warm" in here again...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Hasn't been out of the 50's here since Saturday morning. Not "warm" in here again...
64 Freedums in the house this morning. Wife has been grousing all day about it. :D

I did go out and have a look at the garden. The tomatoes are actually looking really good for as little sun/warm as we've had. I suspect once the sun shows up, they are going to go apeshit. :thumb:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
64 Freedums in the house this morning. Wife has been grousing all day about it. :D

I did go out and have a look at the garden. The tomatoes are actually looking really good for as little sun/warm as we've had. I suspect once the sun shows up, they are going to go apeshit. :thumb:
Still only 64, warmed up from 63.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
These beans are tasty. And super crunchy.

Oregano bush is...continuing to get bushy. This is after chopping a whole bunch for pizza the other night.

Not sure what's up with these plants, but samn they're already twice as big as last year, at this time.

This is the little tomato plant that was basically a stump after that one frost. It's come back nicely.

Friggin squirrels though, God damn. Stop digging holes in my shit.

Oh yeah and I scored large; found some poblano plants at Crappy Tire for sale. And a tobasco named pepper plant, so of course I got that.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The rain barrels I have are doing great so far. I've yet to use any water from the house, in the garden. It took a few weeks, but we almost ran two of them dry.

Its amazing how quickly they fill back up. One little rain and they'll overflow.

How my wife is feeling this year.

View attachment 195448
I mean, if you're growing stuff to save money, its probably not going to work out unless you can sell some. :)

This thought is void with pot plants though. High rate of return for what you put in. :nerd:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have no idea what I'm doing.

San Marzanos...soon...

I need to take some of these poblano and jalapeños

The potted pot plants are doing well. The one to the left, out of frame, is well over my head now. Sadly, I did have to chop one down when it sprouted balls a week or two ago. Just sprouted and planted a new one - probably too late, but we'll say, maybe I can let it go late and it'll turn purple in the cool fall weather or something?

Again, this is the tomato plant that was bit by frost and turned into a stump. It now has a shitload of flowers.

And lastly the catnip, which is impossible to grow. I mean, it'd probably be easier if this big fatass orange cat would stop coming by at 3am and eating it all...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ain't got shit. Everything is dead or eaten. Ground hog went off on shit.
I know how you feel... the squirrels here are relentless. They keep taking my fuckin strawberries, which are in a cage. I don't have any zucchini yet, but I'm sure they'll waddle by and take a but out of them as random, as they did last year. I mean come on man, if you're going to bite it, take the the whole thing. :rant:

And we have rabbits, which are actually generally okay, as they don't seem to jump over any obstacles. But there are two tiny new born rabbits, I'm just waiting for that morning where I find them trapped in the fenced in plants, eating everything....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Broccoli coming in hot

'bout time to pull garlic, maybe?

Early Girl is early

Spuds in sacks, peas on the fence

Zucchini and summer squash

San Marzanos starting to recover from the early hail storm. Maybe some fruit before winter?

Attn @SkaredShtles; this is Pineapple Sage I got from the neighbor. Muddle a leaf or two in your gin and tonics, you'll thank me later.

Cherry tomato plant is some kind of mutant, more of a cherry tomato bush