Quantcast

2023 Garden thread

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'd say let them grow. I had that one plant that I thought was dead after frost and now it has 30 flowers on it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My 2nd zucchini is really suffering. I might only get one fruit from them this season... luckily one of my yellow squash *seems* to be doing OK.

Finally getting green beans, and have some small green tomatoes... but I'm not terribly confident those will be carried successfully to term. :disgust:
We didn't plant this year as timing didn't work out for when stuff would have normally gone outdoors. But I'm pretty sure if we had planted, the rain and hail would have taken a serious toll.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Today? Fuck, man... that sucks. Anything survive?
About an hour ago. Funnel cloud just north of us up in @JohnE's hood.

Zucchini and Squash got wrecked, tomatoes got beat up pretty bad, loads of apples knocked off the tree. I'd bet the ones hanging on still are probably bad too. Peppers, broccoli, cauliflower and the cherry tomatoes seem alright

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
About an hour ago. Funnel cloud just north of us up in @JohnE's hood.

Zucchini and Squash got wrecked, tomatoes got beat up pretty bad, loads of apples knocked off the tree. I'd bet the ones hanging on still are probably bad too. Peppers, broccoli, cauliflower and the cherry tomatoes seem alright
(Shhh...hiding in the basement...)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Okay garden monkeys, what shot do I put in my dirt to make it suck less?

Nothing grows right now due to the rock hard dirt it’s in, roots can’t even get into this crap. It did make ripping everything out easy, but I’d like to plant some flowers that look good and that the neighbors bees can turn into honey and a big chunk of vegetables in the side yard.

Ordered a rototiller, step one is breaking up the rock hard shitty dirt, but what’s step two? Manure? Sand? Corpses? What makes dirt turn into soil?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
@maxyedor

Where do you live? What do you want to achieve in the garden? How soon do you want to see results? How much money do you want to spend? Rainfall? Ok to do watering?

It reall all depends. There are plants that like crappy soil too.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
@maxyedor

Where do you live?

Southern California

What do you want to achieve in the garden?

I want the part of the side-yard/hill you can see from the backyard to have some color, everything is white in my yard, white fence, which awning, white concrete, it's too damn bright and needs some green/red/orange/purple to balance it out. I want some height out of the plants because they're on a hill that's got a white vinyl fence at the top, tall plants will cover more than short ones.

There's a chunk of the side-yard up near the garage that I'll do a 10'x15' vegetable garden. That I don't mind just digging out the dirt and replacing/amending all of it, it's the 100'x15' area that scares me, that's a lot of dirt to move, and as it stands can't easily get a mini excavator in there.

Previous owners of my place planted quite a bit, and everything became rootbound and died or fell over because they didn't take root. The PO clearly didn't own a pick-axe and just dug what they could, so half the plants weren't even fully in the ground to begin with.

How soon do you want to see results?

Sooner is better, but I'm in no real rush, ideally I'd like to get plated by the end of winter so things will start growing in over next spring.

How much money do you want to spend?

Not overly concerned as long as I can do it myself vs hiring somebody.

There's a few wholesale nurseries close-ish that I've gotten plants from for smaller areas and they're pretty reasonable compared to HD/Lowes, so at least I can go pretty wild there without breaking the bank

Rainfall? Ok to do watering?

We went from drought restrictions, to the wettest winter on record and no restrictions, so who knows going forward. I want the majority to be drought tolerant so I don't lose them like I did the roses when we get cut back to 1 day/week watering. The sprinklers are all goofy so they're going to get re-done with micro drippers on each plant and some kind of ground cover between each one to keep the water in the soil better.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
This guy is a little funny but has some good advice about gardening where its dry

The reason why I suggest this is because the water management is super important and the addition of organic matter to enrich the soil. That is what I would focus on and then as much as possible source local plants.

If you have an AC that drips water to the outside its a brilliant plant watering system too.

Roses are hungry ladies that I would never plant where you live. Nurseries are there to sell plants not to sell plants that survives.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Man these god damn squirrels. :banghead:

I have a strawberry plant that is fully surrounded by the same plastic netting/fence stuff, as seen in my last picture above. But they still get in and take any fruits that are on the verge of turning red.

And yesterday I found some green San Marzano's that had been knocked off the plant. Then I look up and there is a half eaten ripe red tomato, sitting on the top of the fence nearby.

:butcher:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Today's mini haul from the garden of shame. Have to start picking the maters early, before the GOD DAMN squirrels get them. Tall can of beer for comparison (now in hand).

This is the first sweet pepper plant that I've grown, that has either had more than 1 or 2 peppers or been ravaged by critters. Possibly related is the distracting "bird" feeder nearby.

I forget what this is, but there are two plants growing up a trellis. Probably bad idea, I have a feeling it can't get water up the main stalk now :rofl: There are two gourds, but they haven't changed at all in like two weeks.

Not exactly sure what this is, any ideas? It was labeled as a "Tabasco " pepper plant. Coming in hot now.

Soon. Many more. Should have planted more San marzanos this year...bad experience last summer.

The frost stump not only lives on, but has a bunch of maters!

These ladies are doing well. The one must be 7 feet tall now..

Big Boi poblano ready for some action.

Back to the beer. Pardon the interruption.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My tomatoes are officially going apeshit, but I'm afraid it may be too little too late. I've topped them in hopes that they concentrate on fruit. Getting lots of yellow squash now, but zukes are definitely kaput. Green beans are going quite nuts as well...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My tomatoes are officially going apeshit, but I'm afraid it may be too little too late. I've topped them in hopes that they concentrate on fruit. Getting lots of yellow squash now, but zukes are definitely kaput. Green beans are going quite nuts as well...
My tomatoes are definitely starting to come in as well, but between the late start and the hail storm 2 weeks ago I believe my aspirations of canning sauce this year are not liable to come to pass.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Added a little color to the patio. Also in view from my favorite chair inside. It’s a chrysanthemum.

IMG_7522.jpeg

Also improved a bed with own production plants and split some Iris making two into 4 plants.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
From the Fuck Around Find out files:
I planted 6 Habanero Pepper plants and one Ghost Pepper Plant. they may have hybridized. On the Habanero closest to the Ghost peeper there was this one tiny ripe habanero about the size of my fingernail. I eat habaneros all the time. I picked this one and popped it in my mouth and started chewing. Oops... within seconds my mouth was on fire. my eyes were watering, snot was pouring out of my nose. Then I swallowed, and the hiccups started then the burps and the hiccups. Fucking death pepper... I included a picture of the ripe habanero and the not ripe normal sized habaneros on the same plant Rut Roh

20230827_190411_02.jpg
20230827_190457.jpg
20230827_190411_03.jpg
20230827_185852.jpg
20230827_185856.jpg
20230827_185901.jpg
20230827_190001.jpg

Last edited: