Quantcast

2023 Garden thread

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Finally all my pepper plants have peppers on them. Last year I was disappointed in my Habaneros. They lacked heat so I added in a Ghost pepper to hybridize with them. Based on my first sample they will be fucking hot this year.
All my plants
Pepper 2023.jpg

First pod on the Ghost pepper
Ghost pepper 2023.jpg

Habanero pods
Habanero 1 2023.jpg
Habanero 4 2023.jpg
Habanero 5 2023.jpg
Habanero 5b 2023.jpg
Habanero 6 2023.jpg
Habanero 6b 2023.jpg
Habanero 6c 2023.jpg
Habanero2 2023.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Based on the row of zucchini on the table, plus these, I can make a good guess as to what will be included in tonight's dinner.

But first I need to stuff these jalapeños and wrap them in bacon. :brows:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just got home after spending a few days away, garden has mostly survived the heat wave here.

Only casualty is that I found one of my weed plants tipped over. It hit the one beside it and took out one of the large branches. I'm guessing a squirrel jumped into it or something. Oh well, I'll dry out and do a test run. What's the worst that could happen?

Also finally picked this jalepeno that has stopped growing. It turned red a while ago. Yay or nay on the spice level?

Cute lil guy

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Has anyone tried to grow a plum tree from a seed?
Most (good) fruit trees are grafted onto (better) root stock re: disease resistance and climate.

We have an Italian plum tree similar to this varietal (link below) which is thriving in our latitude -- basically that and the tiny alpine strawberries (which grow out of a bush, no need to cut and transplant etc.) are the only two real garden successes we've had.

Though our sour cherry tree finally had enough fruit this year to make 2 (!) or so cherry bars so the tide is turning... slowly...

1693869745066.png

#YouDon'tMoveToMontanaForTheGardening*

1693869674498.png

*Unless you live around Flathead lake...

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don’t know what the rest of your fruit looks like, but if they have those stretch marks it means that they are getting too much water.
I've had a few others do the same. I thought it might be over watering, but I don't water them too often; though it has rained quite a bit over the last month.

I've had tomatoes do that before, which was my mistake. None are doing it this year and they are all planted in the same soil and generally get watered at the same time.

Could it happen to old fruits? That red one for example, I should have picked a week or two ago. A few of the other peppers are the same story, should have been picked a while back but just got to it because of vacation and whatnot.

Now I'm reading about pepper corking, which makes sense. They get lots of water and then get a lot of sun, which has happened.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My tomatoes are officially going apeshit, but I'm afraid it may be too little too late. I've topped them in hopes that they concentrate on fruit. Getting lots of yellow squash now, but zukes are definitely kaput. Green beans are going quite nuts as well...
Every single one of my squash plants died. Tomatoes now have gobs of fruit... all green. Hopefully the mild weather hangs in for another few weeks.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Small gathering today. The weather has done a complete yoyo the last few days. We've gone from stupid hot to now constant overcast and quite cool temps.

Some colour coming on these little peppers now.

No good way to take a picture of these plants now. :brows:

Soon....but not too soon...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I have shit loads of Habaneros starting to ripen. I have been wondering if my Ghost pepper plant was a dud, for weeks now it has had one lone pepper that shows no inclination to ripen. Walked outside this morning and hey, there are pods stating to pop out on all the branches.

Ate one of the habaneros last night in a stir fry. Wowzer that sucker was hot. Total winner!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Le sigh.

Either the very cool weather we've had at night has killed the tomato plants, or they've suddenly been overcome with blight.

Two of them shriveled and dead pretty much over night.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Picked one of the tomato plants, will do the bigger one tomorrow :(

Can see some of the brown marks starting on the green ones. They dont feel rotten, still solid. Tossed away a bunch of the smaller and more brown ones, oh well. Hopefully these ripen and we can make some more marinara sauce; GF made some a week or so ago and it was amazing on homemade pizza.

And again, I dunno when, but soooooon.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Picked one of the tomato plants, will do the bigger one tomorrow :(

Can see some of the brown marks starting on the green ones. They dont feel rotten, still solid. Tossed away a bunch of the smaller and more brown ones, oh well. Hopefully these ripen and we can make some more marinara sauce; GF made some a week or so ago and it was amazing on homemade pizza.

And again, I dunno when, but soooooon.
We used to cut the vines with fruit attached and ripen indoors.

I believe they ripen "better" as such:

1695430196576.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We used to cut the vines with fruit attached and ripen indoors.

I believe they ripen "better" as such:

View attachment 200934

Yeah very true, normally I do that as well, but this year it's strange how quickly the plants seem to have died...plus the stems are or have already turned a dark colour. Seemed odd! So I didn't want to bring that into the house and risk ruining them all...

I have one other tomato plant, which seems to not have succumbed to same fate and its on a totally different side of the house. So perhaps it is fungus or whatever related?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
End of the season we pick all of the remaining green tomatoes and bring them indoors and have them ripen on plates inside brown paper bags on the kitchen window sill.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
At least yours look good.

Mine definitely ended up having some sort of disease. Killed the plants overnight pretty much, even the clean looking tomatoes that I picked early still ended up succumbing to the same fate. :banghead:

How many plants do or did you have?
Had 8 plants this year. I really need to up my trellis game next year, 'cause tomato cages kinda suck.