Quantcast

2023 Loudenvielle World Cup

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Is the Whoop HR monitor strapped to a sloth or something? I dunno whether to be impressed with the athletes HR data or shocked by the inaccuracy of the series sponsor's equipment. There's no fuckin way they're ~150bpm on these runs.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. They need to get absolutely anyone in there to dilute Cedric.
I think someone as big time as Gwin also humbles Ric and he's a better presenter for it.
Said it before but Ric and Bart work really well together for that reason in the XC commentary.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nina's helmet must have it's own gravitational pull. @Westy. point her towards that shop you had "trouble" in.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Anyone know what happened to Lou Ferguson? Thought she might do quite well in these conditions

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Nina firmly establishing herself as sole real contender of Vali.
Dunno, but weren't we told how good of a company Discovery is? Why do they not build up more drama? A runaway winning season of one athlete is less likely to intrigue viewers than a battle, so why not at least build up that narrative? Now it is "Vali is amazing", "Vali is unbeatable", etc. :crazy:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
That extra content in between men and women - did they hire someone from RB or are they just badly copying?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
For now. for sure. But we're just past half way through a kinda weird season.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
There's no fuckin way they're ~150bpm on these runs.
Why not?

Only just noticed the HR data on Loic's finals run. 157bpm towards the bottom.
I've no idea what his resting or Max HR is. So no way to know which zone that puts him in. Just below Threshold is probably where you want to be for a smooth run on a track without a shitey flat sprint. Push into Zone 5 and you can barely see straight nevermind control a bike down technical terrain at the limit.

It's a fucking stupid metric to show on a live feed for DH tho

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Why not?

Only just noticed the HR data on Loic's finals run. 157bpm towards the bottom.
I've no idea what his resting or Max HR is. So no way to know which zone that puts him in. Just below Threshold is probably where you want to be for a smooth run on a track without a shitey flat sprint. Push into Zone 5 and you can barely see straight nevermind control a bike down technical terrain at the limit.

It's a fucking stupid metric to show on a live feed for DH tho
My GF likes to see it.

Though I remember some dudes complaining about Whoop HR accuracy.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Though I remember some dudes complaining about Whoop HR accuracy.
For the data to get from a HR strap to live feed screen graphic I'd expect some lag. But other than that I'd have expected it to just work the same as any other wireless HR monitor. Personally I 've only ever used chest straps (polar/tomtom/garmin) and from experience accuracy can fuck up from time to time. Usually from an issue with the strap transmitter electronics or low battery and very rarely interference. I suppose a wrist strap on a DH rider could be more susceptible to sensor issues from vibration tho. Maybe not so much on Loic's hover bike.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I tuned in a bit late, and missed Dak's run. I guess I'll have to watch the rerun. That was an entertaining race. Amazing to watch the different styles, the technique, and the raw speed.

I also agree that Gwin in the commentary booth really helped out. It's like he was able to unlock Cedric's knowledge. They were talking about interesting things, technical aspect of riding. Rik interrupted him way too often though.

And I'm still reeling from Thibaults crash. Insane. And when he got up and was like "dude, where's my bike"?!?! madness!