Quantcast

2023 session HP DH rig

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That time was a weird time for low weight bikes. Carbon wasn't in yet and there was a big push for low weights. Not only in DH. In DJ there was the same problem and I remember a viral vid in the dirt community of some mad russian literally kicking off the top tube off a NS suburban steel frame. While not normal riding you should not be able to easily break steel tubes
Broken steel that's scary and can't imagine what wall thickness they used...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Broken steel that's scary and can't imagine what wall thickness they used...
Thankfully they realized their mistake (though their enduro frames are known for their cracking now) and they made future model years a bit heavier so you are no longer at risk of recreating Matrix 3 end scenes.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
<armchair engineer>
Seems the ones with the ti-nitride coating were prone to snapping, while the espresso ones fared a bit better.

Maybe the chrome-like coating led to sticktion and increased leverage?
</armchair engineer>

Hey man, be cool.

I'm still riding a 888 Evo V2 Ti with the fancy chrome stanchions.
...but I gotz the dope extra slilppy skf green seals so I be good. :lighten:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
You won't catch me drooling over or stroking it to woodies or chubbies but Craig can stick em where the sun don't shine.
Man people are all over the board with this guy. I had the opposite problem. Lightweight rider, wants less compression damping, send him a totem to put an Avy cart in, thing comes back appropriately tuned for Nathan Rennie, who at that stage of his life was still fast as shit, but also weighed about 300 lbs.

When I told Craig I wanted less damping on both rebound and compression and not more, and I didn't think I should need to run 60% sag to use 80% of the travel, he flat out told me I was wrong.

And when I'm asking for shit on the phone I'm a polite motherfucker, I'm only tough on the internet.

Selling that fork and going to a 40 was the single biggest upgrade I've ever done on a bike.

Also, @bullcrew my 951evo has been an absolute shocker to me, I didn't expect to love it this much, I mainly just got it because it was cheap, but It's a really fuckin good bike. Which is funny because my other favorite DH bike I've ever owned was my old session 88. Although I respect what you have there is a totally different bike. Curious to know how you end up liking it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
And when I'm asking for shit on the phone I'm a polite motherfucker, I'm only tough on the internet.

Also, @bullcrew my 951evo has been an absolute shocker to me, I didn't expect to love it this much, I mainly just got it because it was cheap, but It's a really fuckin good bike. Which is funny because my other favorite DH bike I've ever owned was my old session 88. Although I respect what you have there is a totally different bike. Curious to know how you end up liking it.

First of "How the hell have you been?" Been a minute...

Lmao...that's funny....

Yeah I LOVE the 951 Evo it's an amazing do it all bike for park, freeride, jumping and ripping a nasty section..mine has a dropper , 1x12 and rfx 38 on it...I won't sell it...its way to diverse..

I had an old trek session back in day, rode good...

I am hoping this is just flat out fast in NASTY...it definitely isn't an all rounder like Evo...but man it is stable and planted. Yeah curious how it pans out too. Way more planted than my M9 and m16...maybe just go wide open and keep it there.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Swapped dh38 on sold fox 40, swapped the wheelset to the straight pull, cut and modified a chain guide, swapped x01dh cassette and der/shitf, did renthal carbon, hope v4 brakes, galfer 2.0 rotors and swapped Canfield cranks to SIXC

38lbs on the mark View attachment 193024View attachment 193025View attachment 193026View attachment 193027
I'm surprised a man of your heft and strength is putting trust in those cranks. :busted:

Also fancy icon for your edging pieces on the padded mats, don't think I've seen those stick around for long. :fancy:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm surprised a man of your heft and strength is putting trust in those cranks. :busted:

Also fancy icon for your edging pieces on the padded mats, don't think I've seen those stick around for long. :fancy:
I trip on em periodically lol..they get under foot now and then..you must have experience with those lol...
.I have a set of Canfield cranks as back up...heard good things about the SIXC....see how it goes...renthal carbon bars have been holding up for a couple years now and on some pretty good cases...I bench pressed a landing last year and I was surprised they held

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Got a ohlins cartridge coming as well as a guy who will make me the top cap for a fox 40 ...so I'll do a ohlins converted new fox 40...they had em but for the older top cap...older Boxxer and fox 40 ...
Where'd you find it? Always wanted one for my old 40 but they were discontinued before I decided to pull the trigger

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Bull sometimes I wonder if your from an alternate universe

Those cranks might hurt you.
Seen ALOT of failures. Light slow riders breaking them. Not sure who would tell you good things about them brosers? (Bro posers)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bull sometimes I wonder if your from an alternate universe

Those cranks might hurt you.
Seen ALOT of failures. Light slow riders breaking them. Not sure who would tell you good things about them brosers? (Bro posers)
I read several that said they held up decent, besides they didn't cost me anything so I might as well get my moneys worth out of em...

I know carbon is hard and when it fails it's catastrophic...I did opt for an aluminum frame and rims...but felt that was a bit to Karen, so I did carbon bars and cranks...lol

Wife's used to my hold my beer so i can see how this goes..

Just love trying stuff out.
We just started hyrox and love hammering down, going men's pro...
Screenshot_20230427_222226_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
951 evo was similar to my all time favorite. 2009 uzzi vp. god damn i loved and miss that thing as my one do it all bike. with a van36 and ccdb it was perfection.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
951 evo was similar to my all time favorite. 2009 uzzi vp. god damn i loved and miss this thing as my one do it all bike. with a van36 and ccdb it was perfection.
Never got to ride the uzzi...but yeah I can't agree more as per above
.the 951 Evo is just a fun bike....the original was a bit to harsh on ramp up, they nailed the set up on the EVO....I keep going through and trying to weed the bikes and it always makes the cut to stay...probably going to grab my kid one and mullet it as well ..it's more his style...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Never got to ride the uzzi...but yeah I can't agree more as per above
.the 951 Evo is just a fun bike....the original was a bit to harsh on ramp up, they nailed the set up on the EVO....I keep going through and trying to weed the bikes and it always makes the cut to stay...probably going to grab my kid one and mullet it as well ..it's more his style...
haha...my kid doesn't really ride a ton anymore (13yo now) but when he did i built him up a 27.5/26 tracer 2 with a ccdb air in back and a 36rc2 up front and he shredded it. lucky lil fucker!