Quantcast

2023 session HP DH rig

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I read several that said they held up decent, besides they didn't cost me anything so I might as well get my moneys worth out of em...

I know carbon is hard and when it fails it's catastrophic...I did opt for an aluminum frame and rims...but felt that was a bit to Karen, so I did carbon bars and cranks...lol

Wife's used to my hold my beer so i can see how this goes..

Just love trying stuff out.
We just started hyrox and love hammering down, going men's pro...
View attachment 193111
I wouldn't ride them at 180lbs.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Swapped dh38 on sold fox 40, swapped the wheelset to the straight pull, cut and modified a chain guide, swapped x01dh cassette and der/shitf, did renthal carbon, hope v4 brakes, galfer 2.0 rotors and swapped Canfield cranks to SIXC

38lbs on the mark View attachment 193024View attachment 193025View attachment 193026View attachment 193027
You ain’t worried about them V4’s? I would not buy a Brake that cost that much just to have a constant problem. Mabye Westy is the lucky sole customer to have it working properly. Please keep the Hope DieHard’s
Fans updates,about how many times the lever pulls to the Bar,etc,etc. They look good though.

Avy

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You ain’t worried about them V4’s? I would not buy a Brake that cost that much just to have a constant problem. Mabye Westy is the lucky sole customer to have it working properly. Please keep the Hope DieHard’s
Fans updates,about how many times the lever pulls to the Bar,etc,etc. They look good though.

Avy
Don't be besmirching my name by relating me with Hope brakes. I will argue that the only two things in this universe that are truly random are quantum mechanics and the performance of Hope brakes.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
951 evo was similar to my all time favorite. 2009 uzzi vp. god damn i loved and miss that thing as my one do it all bike. with a van36 and ccdb it was perfection.
Why did you get rid of the VP with all that Love?

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Don't be besmirching my name by relating me with Hope brakes. I will argue that the only two things in this universe that are truly random are quantum mechanics and the performance of Hope brakes.
Could not have said it better Westy.

Avy

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hell that's what trees are for and other tourists on mountain...aim for the busshy trees and fat tourists....brakes slow you down it takes a spectator to stop so aim for em at finish.

I cooked formula brakes had em red hot smoking and pads fell out in a few pieces, another time used camelback to cool a rotor that went purple (granted it was -1.55mm thin)..but add water to camel back and cool off periodically it worked amazing...
Got buddies running them on surons and love em, the set on the 951 have been solid as hell...

For those having issues
I can't quite understand how they aren't engaging, no air in line full pull, only way is either a blown piston seal or the plunger at lever is bleeding by and back...
Mine are on galfer 2mm rotors 223 front 203 rear and green pads on the way.

Uses to run 6tibrear 4ti front braided lines and man could chew pads and rotors up in the mud in Washington and northern Idaho...but brakes worked regardless of noise and grinding particles lol..

Last edited:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Hell that's what trees are for and other tourists on mountain...aim for the busshy trees and fat tourists....brakes slow you down it takes a spectator to stop so aim for em at finish.

I cooked formula brakes had em red hot smoking and pads fell out in a few pieces, another time used camelback to cool a rotor that went purple (granted it was -1.55mm thin)..but add water to camel back and cool off periodically it worked amazing...
Got buddies running them on surons and love em, the set on the 951 have been solid as hell...

For those having issues
I can't quite understand how they aren't engaging, no air in line full pull, only way is either a blown piston seal or the plunger at lever is bleeding by and back...
Mine are on galfer 2mm rotors 223 front 203 rear and green pads on the way.

Uses to run 6tibrear 4ti front braided lines and man could chew pads and rotors up in the mud in Washington and northern Idaho...but brakes worked regardless of noise and grinding particles lol..
Are the Galfers as good as they say?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Been on a set of SixC 165mm cranks on my DH bike since 2013.

I am a 220lb hack.
In the couple of years prior to the SixC, I mangled two Shimano cranks (Hone and XT)

For what it is worth...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Oh shit, looks like I'm gonna die.

SixC cranks AND Hope Tech3 V4's ... ON THE SAME BIKE!!! :panic:

I doomed. :homer:

I have never had an on-bike usage problem with the Hope brakes.
Every spring I clean and lube the pistons, as they tend to stick after sitting for a few months. On average they get a bleed every second year.
I find them consistent, decently powerful ( on a 276 ) with good modulation.

If I ever had to replace them, I would probably end up with another set of Dominion A4's.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Oh shit, looks like I'm gonna die.

SixC cranks AND Hope Tech3 V4's ... ON THE SAME BIKE!!! :panic:

I doomed. :homer:

I have never had an on-bike usage problem with the Hope brakes.
Every spring I clean and lube the pistons, as they tend to stick after sitting for a few months. On average they get a bleed every second year.
I find them consistent, decently powerful ( on a 276 ) with good modulation.

If I ever had to replace them, I would probably end up with another set of Dominion A4's.
Granted my experience with Hope brakes was from a long time ago. Hope Monos. But they were easily the worst component I have ever had on a bike, and that is saying something. Certainly the most dangerous. Bad enough that I would never ever consider anything from them again.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Granted my experience with Hope brakes was from a long time ago. Hope Monos. But they were easily the worst component I have ever had on a bike, and that is saying something. Certainly the most dangerous. Bad enough that I would never ever consider anything from them again.
My T3 V4s were some of the most consistent brakes I've tried. Not the most powerful, but enough and just worked the same despite all manner of conditions and some bloody long brake dragging descents. It was only finding the A4 Dominions that finally got me to go elsewhere.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Got a ohlins cartridge coming as well as a guy who will make me the top cap for a fox 40 ...so I'll do a ohlins converted new fox 40...they had em but for the older top cap...older Boxxer and fox 40 ...
The RFX36 TTX18 cartridge can be found reasonably priced, maybe have a run of top caps make so they could be dropped into Lyrik's and Fox36's. That would make for a easy for the Grip2 and Charger issues.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The RFX36 TTX18 cartridge can be found reasonably priced, maybe have a run of top caps make so they could be dropped into Lyrik's and Fox36's. That would make for a easy for the Grip2 and Charger issues.
It's the whole drop in cart similar to avalanche...not the 36 version... It was designed for fox 40 and Boxxer...
I may get some top caps made up to replace those... That's actually a really good idea

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yup, Tech, Tech 2 brakes and Pro 2 hub snapped axles was enough for me, from three products I had zero decent ones.
You can never hold a grudge for too long, fuck Hope.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
It's the whole drop in cart similar to avalanche...not the 36 version... It was designed for fox 40 and Boxxer...
I may get some top caps made up to replace those... That's actually a really good idea
This one fits in a Marzocchi 58. I think the newest cartridges are better than the older stuff. I would buy one for a 38 if you make some.
8E31B5A8-1423-425D-A66F-E5A6B280399A.jpeg

E21D5C9B-968C-460D-B8C0-F810FB196608.jpeg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah I ordered one and can get a deal on several... considering it and retro fit some dual crowns with a better damper...
Just got my ttx for trek and another for another customer ordered a long with cartridge...was looking to see if the air carts have a set up like before where it can be a package deal....I'll do a few and sell

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Okay! Are you able to confirm the stanchion tubes from the 2019+ Boxxer are the same length as the pre-2019 Boxxer? (I know the top cap threading may be different).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I think top cap is the main difference...the ohlins with correct top cap and foot nut will drop in...length shouldn't be an issue at all there's always a little extra and stack height of almost all forks is close...

I'll have ny shaft end of week I can measure it and I have access to a newer Boxxer stanchion

The lowers are what changed as a charger damper will fit em all...bottom of the fork is still the same, it's the axle dropped down a little for front wheel to pull it away from frame at full compression and lower crown.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Very good idea, imho. Spring rates are all over the place more often than not. I wanted to check my EXT springs some time ago, too. Buddy works at the construction materials lab at TU Graz and has access to all sorts of lab test rigs from N to MN range. Strangely it didn't happen by itself...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm not going super light with my race bike, 38lbs is my perfect weight for me...but I am not going to pack fat on if there's ways to make it ride smoother and shave a few here and there...

I went from air back to coil almost right away, not a air fan. There's a good gain, my rear tires are heavy casing fronts are mid ..

So it's not a weight thing and I am riding an alloy frame not carbon...

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
I got a cheaper no name Ti coil. Thing sacked out in no time. Ended up a good size shorter in a handful of rides. Decent Ti springs have gone way side it seems

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah will be curio
I got a cheaper no name Ti coil. Thing sacked out in no time. Ended up a good size shorter in a handful of rides. Decent Ti springs have gone way side it seems
Will be good to see, martinez has been hammering the crap out of his on his V10 for a few months now....I'll measure and check rate, beat the hell out of it and check again in couple months....a few full squishes and carrying my heavy ass should be decent enough to check

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Took the bike out today..OHLINS KICKS ASS!!!!!!!

There's a bike park opening up on la Jolla Indian reservation...5 miles 3500 vert...
Nice drops, nasty rock gardens one of the nastiest rock walls I've ever rolled off and out of... everything is exposed ..was a blast
Marketing pics and promotional stuff will be coming out soon we did the pics and rode for the photog today.
I'll grab some to show...

This is the top of the rock roller into a nasty rock garden.... definitely on the nastier side...

Yes my hands are on my hip, it's a habit I picked up from wife lol
Screenshot_20230521_163858_GoPro Quik.jpg

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This afternoon I built a new Session (same model and colour as yours) MY24 Boxxer, SAINT/XO DH mix for a fast young Scottish racer who's dad I used to race with waay BITD. S2 and fuckin lovely. The kid's been picked up by a team and off to Spain with it tomorrow for a pre-seasson training camp. Good times, eh?

Last edited:

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
This afternoon I built a new Session (same model and colour as yours) MY24 Boxxer, SAINT/XO DH mix for a fast young Scottish racer who's dad I used to race with waay BITD. S2 and fuckin lovely. The kid's been picked up by a team and off to Spain with it tomorrow for a pre-seasson training camp. Good times, eh?
lots of people seem to go fast on them.

I was too much between sizes 2 and 3 so just ordered the GT Fury frameset in L. Im a big Hart fan so timing was great. Cant wait to see how nuch quicker on proper tracks i am over my 16 Aurum.