Quantcast

2023 Snowshoe WC

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Actually there is still an XCE world cup that ESO doesn’t own(instead it owned by some belgian mom and outfit). They race in some really weird spots(like Bentonville) in front of very few people.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Dude...now I'm frothin for some To-Hell-You-Ride. :D

MTB, Ski, it's sooo good.

I'm still surprised at those altitude numbers. Wow. No wonder it's so good.

Edit: The last time we were there for skiing, they groomed one of the front side blacks. Bushwacker? I'm not sure but when we got there late at night for check in, the snowcats looked like they were vertical. And we were like, we're gonna totally hit that!

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
It is funny to hear about people complaining about the altitude, tho. Heck even I do. "I can't believe I'm out of breath just taking our bags up the stairs" :D
Guests hate my 4 story walk-up. GPS on the porch says 9850ish. I love the view and appreciate the forced exercise. I have a habit while working on projects in the garage of thinking of one item at a time I need to run up to the apartment for.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I don't know why you turned around? I spent some time in Zermat last year it's surprisingly 'not bike' friendly in a way. I could have bought a pretty sweet watch though...
This was during a back packing / womanizing trip with a buddy just after college. I did no outdoors activities in Zermatt but bedded the only African in my career, and the daughter of a Kenyan Senator at that. I didn't notice any MTB scene during my 2 days there.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
how so? i was just there for 4 days to do exactly that? was surprisingly cheap too
Maybe that didn't come off like I meant it to. For hosting an EWS a few years back I thought there would be more trail infrastructure. The town and obviously the mountains are incredible though...I thought it was well priced in lots of ways as well.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Dude...now I'm frothin for some To-Hell-You-Ride. :D

MTB, Ski, it's sooo good.

I'm still surprised at those altitude numbers. Wow. No wonder it's so good.

Edit: The last time we were there for skiing, they groomed one of the front side blacks. Bushwacker? I'm not sure but when we got there late at night for check in, the snowcats looked like they were vertical. And we were like, we're gonna totally hit that!
don't leave us hanging... did you?! how was it?!

Lots of snowcats operate on winches from the top. heck, even my tiny east-coast mountain has that setup.

I have to say, I hadn't realized how high some of those resorts are. When I hiked in Nepal, we were told to start the acclimatization protocols at 3000m (9,842'). That involved spending one rest day for each 1000m (3,280') gained, and hiking 300m (984') above where you were going to sleep. The mountain village is essentially at that 3000m height, and the higher restaurants are at 3600m... the people who work there must be fit AF! that said, the top lift taking you to 3800m means the vertical drop is 'only' 800m. That's not all together that impressive...

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Maybe that didn't come off like I meant it to. For hosting an EWS a few years back I thought there would be more trail infrastructure. The town and obviously the mountains are incredible though...I thought it was well priced in lots of ways as well.
could be more but they were just building another trail when i was there. the built trails were the least interesting ones for me though. in total it is ok for a 2-3 days stay imho, on my last day i felt a bit bored.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
don't leave us hanging... did you?! how was it?!

Lots of snowcats operate on winches from the top. heck, even my tiny east-coast mountain has that setup.

I have to say, I hadn't realized how high some of those resorts are. When I hiked in Nepal, we were told to start the acclimatization protocols at 3000m (9,842'). That involved spending one rest day for each 1000m (3,280') gained, and hiking 300m (984') above where you were going to sleep. The mountain village is essentially at that 3000m height, and the higher restaurants are at 3600m... the people who work there must be fit AF! that said, the top lift taking you to 3800m means the vertical drop is 'only' 800m. That's not all together that impressive...
Oh yeah. We did that run at least 3 times before we moved on. Love a fully groomed black trail.

I'm thinking our snow isn't as "icy" as the east coast. Haven't seen a snowcat using a winch, but can't say they don't do it, either.

Maybe Milky Chance should have sang about being high as Nepal?

:D

But yeah, the feel of the groomed/corduroy trail and the traction you get, railing/carving turns and getting fully sideways and getting all kinds of snow roost, is one of the best feelings of all the land. We could have been in a Warren Miller movie it was that good :D

Sometimes Vail will groom Blue Ox. It's a black, usually all moguled out. But when they groom it. Eff yeah make the trek out for at least one ripper of a run. Your skis may smell weird after. Like maybe melted wax. :D

Last edited:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Actually there is still an XCE world cup that ESO doesn’t own(instead it owned by some belgian mom and outfit). They race in some really weird spots(like Bentonville) in front of very few people.
Bruni podiumed at a world cup XCE in 2017.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Asa will race Jr next year on Neko's team.

He's from Colorado and the real deal. No ginger hair, but on track to be the next Gwinner.

Hey Brother,it took me forever to find this post as I could not remember the details. Only that this kid is going to Kill it! I had to go over all my posts to find it.

Where are we at? What Bike,Team? He is still going to race Jr’s? Any recent news?

Avy

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Hey Brother,it took me forever to find this post as I could not remember the details. Only that this kid is going to Kill it! I had to go over all my posts to find it.

Where are we at? What Bike,Team? He is still going to race Jr’s? Any recent news?

Avy
Racing on Neko's Frameworks team with Neko & Angel. Still on track to kill it this season racing his first year as a Jr.

Currently at home in Colorado crushing the sand tracks down south.

3 months to go for Ft Bill....

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Racing on Neko's Frameworks team with Neko & Angel. Still on track to kill it this season racing his first year as a Jr.

Currently at home in Colorado crushing the sand tracks down south.

3 months to go for Ft Bill....
Thank You so much Brother. I thought it was the same,but we never know?

So bringing this to the upmost Insane price to watch our DH,are they even showing the Jr’s? I am still waiting for a “Go” price on the cost. I have cable,but I don’t know? Avy might downgrade my package for this Short Treat of ours. I must see this,I have a problem guys. I am not sure that I can say no? Last year was Brutal for Avy. Now Gwin is back?

Avy