Quantcast

2023 Summer Monkeyfest

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So from what I am seeing, it is most likely going to rain, but it'll be pop-up rain and not steady all day rain. Seems like that's par for the course on our trips to KT every year.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Was planning on bringing rain pants, but weather looks MOIST next weekend:

View attachment 196645

I'm going to hope/assume the soil has less clay than ours...

Good beer drinking weather at least ;)

View attachment 196647
View attachment 196648
Kingdom Trails drains/dries pretty well, they hardly ever close for rain, however most of VT is dealing with very heavy rains right now and there are multiple landslides and washed out roads through a good portion of southern VT. If it continues we may experience some of those same problems up here in the northern part of the state too.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Kingdom Trails drains/dries pretty well, they hardly ever close for rain, however most of VT is dealing with very heavy rains right now and there are multiple landslides and washed out roads through a good portion of southern VT. If it continues we may experience some of those same problems up here in the northern part of the state too.
Yup. I am more worried about difficulties in getting to KT. I can sit in the lodge and drink beers with monkeys and ride when weather permits.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Yup. I am more worried about difficulties in getting to KT. I can sit in the lodge and drink beers with monkeys and ride when weather permits.
Of course, I say they rarely close the trails and just now found out that KT is completely closed today. Let's hope there's not a ton of damage before the weekend gets here.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.

Here is a look at some of the major closings as of Monday morning:

• VT-58 in Orleans Village toward Brownington is closed to ONE LANE due to flooding.
  • US-4 in Woodstock between Westerdale Rd to Knapp Dr is CLOSED due to flooding.
  • US-5 in Barton from VT-58 toward Irasburg is closed to ONE LANE due to flooding.
  • US-5 in Barton from Industrial Park to VT-58 is closed to ONE LANE due to flooding.
  • VT-155 in Mt. Holly from Straight Rd to VT-100 is CLOSED due to flooding.
  • VT-16 in Barton from Exit 25 to Water St is CLOSED due to flooding.
  • VT-103 in Mt. Holly at Station Road is CLOSED due to flooding.
  • VT-100 Ludlow south of the village is CLOSED due to flooding.
  • VT-103 in Ludlow is CLOSED due to flooding in the village.
  • VT-30 in Winhall near Stoney Hill Road is CLOSED due to flooding.
  • VT-30 in Jamaica near West Hill Road South is CLOSED to all traffic due to a washout and flooding.
  • VT-100 in Weston near the intersection of VT-155 is CLOSED due to flooding.
  • US-4 in Killington near the Skyship CLOSED due to a landslide that occurred on July 7.
  • VT-100 in West Bridgewater at US-4 to Farm and Wilderness Rd is CLOSED due to a washout.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Of course, I say they rarely close the trails and just now found out that KT is completely closed today. Let's hope there's not a ton of damage before the weekend gets here.
Return of the Redneck Downhill inside if it's too rainy outside??? :fans:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Yup! I was on the phone with Alex from Green Mountain ProTune and we were talking about how they never close the trails so we should be fine for the weekend. Damn!

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
current reports suggest that KT is closed due to yesterday's rain and associated flooding.
weather outlook for the weekend suggests that it's going to remain damp betwixt now and through the weekend.

cross your fingers and toes everyone.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Ok.....tough love here guys. When all is said and done, I am out quite a bit of cash so far.
Lodge is paid for, food is mostly purchased too (all non-perishables and paper goods). Lots of $$$ riding on this one unfortunately can't get much of it back either so I will need everyone that was committed to ante-up even if they aren't in attendance at this point (sorry...I know it sucks and if I am able to get any refunds I will adjust accordingly). The plan was $200 for 20 including food. I haven't gotten some of the food (perishables I usually buy the night before) so the cost isn't quite $200 yet and I will do the math and get exact numbers soon.

That being said, if anyone wants to chance it, we do have more space too if people want to try to get there. I have been looking at maps and road closures. Tomorrow's forecast is clear and then scattered showers/storms for the rest of the week so no guarantee roads/trails will be open. I haven't spoken to the lodge yet but I would imagine no refund at this point too (she is super nice, but it is her business too), but I can make those calls if people are swaying in that direction.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Ok.....tough love here guys. When all is said and done, I am out quite a bit of cash so far.
Lodge is paid for, food is mostly purchased too (all non-perishables and paper goods). Lots of $$$ riding on this one unfortunately can't get much of it back either so I will need everyone that was committed to ante-up even if they aren't in attendance at this point (sorry...I know it sucks and if I am able to get any refunds I will adjust accordingly). The plan was $200 for 20 including food. I haven't gotten some of the food (perishables I usually buy the night before) so the cost isn't quite $200 yet and I will do the math and get exact numbers soon.

That being said, if anyone wants to chance it, we do have more space too if people want to try to get there. I have been looking at maps and road closures. Tomorrow's forecast is clear and then scattered showers/storms for the rest of the week so no guarantee roads/trails will be open. I haven't spoken to the lodge yet but I would imagine no refund at this point too (she is super nice, but it is her business too), but I can make those calls if people are swaying in that direction.
Timely. I figured something like this, and that I'd not come up anyhow, so sent you $$$ a couple minutes ago!

We're in the same boat so we'll be there. I'm grabbing our passports - maybe we'll day trip to Canada!

Also, as of today, it looks like 122 by the highway is closed so make sure you get off rte 5 (we usually go up to 122).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm in even if the weekend is spent enjoying wobbly pops. I may through a road bike on the rack if the trails are truly awful, and I'd consider doing a lift day as I imagine the mountain may drain better than the hills

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Crombie1 and I are still in as long as it's still happening this weekend. Could possibly be up for a day riding the lifts at Burke if the KT trails are too muddy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you do decide to cancel, like if you can get your deposit back and nobody else wants to go, I respect that and will still contribute what I can to cover deposits and such, but I am looking forward to making the best of it- whether riding up burke mountain, lift riding, or just hanging out in the lodge.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
If you do decide to cancel, like if you can get your deposit back and nobody else wants to go, I respect that and will still contribute what I can to cover deposits and such, but I am looking forward to making the best of it- whether riding up burke mountain, lift riding, or just hanging out in the lodge.
I think we are still going to make the best of it. I will toss in my cx bike and see what that makes me do (it doesn't have human gears on it so I will suffer, but there's always beer).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sometimes I've questioned leaving for a ride, due to black clouds and sideways rain, but more often than not, as soon as I arrive at the trailhead or hit the trails, the skies open up to that glorious magical sun beam.

Hopefully yall get some of that magic luck this weekend as well.