Quantcast

2024 racing thread

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
If you're going to give her credit for all that you may as well also say she won a few men's world cups, a men's world cup overall title, a couple of men's world champs and a men's UCI 4X race, after booking all the flights, accommodation and organisation for the whole race team and entourage as Team Manager. Broke her back then while she was bored single handedly dug a few Hardline tracks for Red Bull.
What a Lady!

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
That seems to be the case. Haven't heard of him in a while.
The time must come Lad’s! When our Hero’s Retire. I know Brother,you can not let it go. It takes time. My Hero in Boxing is “Smokin Joe”,to me Top 3 of All Time! Never got Any Love! But he did have Respect! I hate that he stayed in the Game too long? I still Love um,he was a Champ till the End In my Heart.

I am Hoping for 1 last win from my Hero,Worlds would be too much for Avy. I must say,I will be talking Shit it this matter became real.

Avy

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
If you're going to give her credit for all that you may as well also say she won a few men's world cups, a men's world cup overall title, a couple of men's world champs and a men's UCI 4X race, after booking all the flights, accommodation and organisation for the whole race team and entourage as Team Manager. Broke her back then while she was bored single handedly dug a few Hardline tracks for Red Bull.
Like Musk, purchased a company, not founded.
"Uhm, AKSHULLLY blahblahblah a bunch of blathering nobody gives a fuck about because it's both dumb and misses the point" *tips fedora*

Thats what you both sound like right now.

What is it about giving people credit for the things they've done and helped create that's so hard for some of yall?

Tesla was circling the drain faster than Kona and Pole, making shitty cars that nobody wanted when Musk came in and bought the company. He proceeded to gut the company, replace the board, and bring in new funding and completely change the direction of the company. The only original parts remaining were that it was named "Tesla" and made electric cars. For all intents and purposes he founded the company. Are we not giving credit to Wozniak and Jobs for creating Apple because Shockley, Brattain, and Bardeen invented the transistor and Jobs and Woz repurposed it? Do Shockley Brattain and Bardeen not deserve credit for the transistor because electricity and the abacus were discovered/invented centuries before?

I didn't exclude Gee or Dan, I didn't exclude any of the founding members of Atherton bikes, and nor did I imply that Rachel did everything single handedly - but Rachel is very much one of the founding members. And she very clearly has a lot of pots in the fire right now. And she's very clearly competitive at the highest level without a ton of effort going into it comparatively. She trained for what, 3 weeks before winning the first race of the year?

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What is it about giving people credit for the things they've done and helped create that's so hard for some of yall?
You didn't.
Dan and Gee have done a fuck ton more for mtb than their wee sis. That was my point.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Rachel is very much one of the founding members.
Yes and No. They're very much a package
I remember Rach as a little kid hanging around the Atherton pits (Dad's caravan with awning and windbreakers) at local and national races being looked after by her dad while Dan and Gee were already established Elite WC racers cutting a career for themselves.
I also remember Rach's first DH race... Showing tons of potential but crashing out (no doubt due to nerves) on an inoccuous drop into a dark wooded corner.
Rach's first DH bike was a dodgy smaller prototype (muddy fox) frame that bottomed out on itself but as luck would have it also made it a better size for a less strong young girl.
That quote from Claudio about Rach being fast because of her brothers wasn't untrue.
Don't worry. I'm not taking anything away from her achievements. She's still a fucking absolutely legend.
They all are.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My wife likes Gee and Dan, but is a huge Rachel fan. So who's done the most is subjective based on what you're calling most.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
If this has been discussed already, I missed it, but I think the new Monster Energy Supercross Pro Tour of US Downhill Mountain Biking is pretty dang cool actually.
I plan to hit the Big Bear race in August if I'm in town. Looking at the calendar, it seems there should be space in the schedule for international pros to show up. I hope the series is successful and grows!

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Wasn't there one of those with Gee and some lass exposing the funbags?
Was the Contents page pic in a Dirt.

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
If this has been discussed already, I missed it, but I think the new Monster Energy Supercross Pro Tour of US Downhill Mountain Biking is pretty dang cool actually.
I plan to hit the Big Bear race in August if I'm in town. Looking at the calendar, it seems there should be space in the schedule for international pros to show up. I hope the series is successful and grows!
It’s wildy infuriating that the finals at Killington goes up against World Cup xc in Lake Placid, 2.5 hours away.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Sam Hill himself says on insta that he will be between the tape and not finish with racing after the demise of Nukeproof putting an abrupt end to his career
Back to Iron Horse maybe? :pilot:

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Sam Hill himself says on insta that he will be between the tape and not finish with racing after the demise of Nukeproof putting an abrupt end to his career
Back to Iron Horse maybe? :pilot:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Had CRC/Wiggle not gone down the pan Id have seen Sam live out his days just being the living Legend of the brand "Nukeproof" now that's gone he's gotta somehow keep himself relevant to continue bringing in income from bicycles.
Wish him well but can't honestly see him bring a true contender in WC DH again. Be ace to be proven wrong tho.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'd love to see him go for the Gates belt drive challenge. Unlikely, but it'd be a cool way to stand out.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sam Hill, even if he isn't currently what he once was, is just cool to see riding a bike.

Also how awesome must it be, to not be at your highest level, but having the leverage of being SAM HILL and getting to basically pick and choose when and where he wants to race these days?

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Had CRC/Wiggle not gone down the pan Id have seen Sam live out his days just being the living Legend of the brand "Nukeproof" now that's gone he's gotta somehow keep himself relevant to continue bringing in income from bicycles.
Wish him well but can't honestly see him bring a true contender in WC DH again. Be ace to be proven wrong tho.
He said in his Instagram post that he thought he would be a part of the Nukeproof family forever and possibly take up a manager's role when he retired from racing.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. Regarding Nukeproof. He didn't mean that lirrerally. Just spiritually.
RIP NUKEPROOF

Posted from my Nukeproof

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Maybe they will come back again.

Before Chain Reaction, it was a US brand that made super light Ti parts and frames.
They had these sweet hubs with a bonded carbon center section that liked to separate from the flanges, I had one kicking around for years. :rolleyes:

NP hubz.jpg

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
WTF is the point of the bike diaper considering he clearly doesn't have the "secret" HP model.