Quantcast

2024 racing thread

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Geez that sucks for Trek. I wonder why people aren't buying those *checks notes* $8000 trail bikes with Performance level Fox suspension and SLX gear.

If only there was a way to somehow make those bikes more appealing the consumer.
You would be surprised how many people only buy big brands because they think small brands are bad and lower quality. Ffs selling used bikes that are not Spesh, Giant, Trek or maybe Yeti is a pita. Hell used ohlins suspension prices here get super low here since morons prefer big brand suspension. I won't complain but wtf.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Unless that homeless dude is a former or current syndicate rider or Santa cruz employee it kinda is.

I can't believe so many of you here actually care that he commented on the situation nevermind think you can somehow chastise him for it. I'm sure he'll be just fine whatever your opinion of his opinion is.
Thinking RR is looking for YOUR pity is simply deluded
I *don't* care that he commented on the situation. I don't care what he thinks about the situation. I'm not chastising him - because he's irrelevant. Shit, I'm probably more relevant than him at this point because there is a greater chance that I'll actually spend money with the brand than he will.

That's the point.

Crying into the piles for 100 dollars bills I bet.
Kona gets it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Geez that sucks for Trek. I wonder why people aren't buying those *checks notes* $8000 trail bikes with Performance level Fox suspension and SLX gear.

If only there was a way to somehow make those bikes more appealing the consumer.
Kona figured out a way of selling $8000 enduro bikes with GX gear that makes it more appealing.

buy one get one free.

Still not appealing enough to actually buy it, but *more* appealing anyway.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Kona figured out a way of selling $8000 enduro bikes with GX gear that makes it more appealing.

buy one get one free.

Still not appealing enough to actually buy it, but *more* appealing anyway.
2023 makes no sense to me. Brands which used to be affordable in 2010-2015 are now weirdly offering high end pricing while high end brands like Ibis are now offering affordable bikes.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I *don't* care that he commented on the situation. I don't care what he thinks about the situation. I'm not chastising him - because he's irrelevant. Shit, I'm probably more relevant than him at this point because there is a greater chance that I'll actually spend money with the brand than he will.

That's the point.
'Fuck sake mate. Let it go. :fie:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
2023 makes no sense to me. Brands which used to be affordable in 2010-2015 are now weirdly offering high end pricing while high end brands like Ibis are now offering affordable bikes.
I think you've missed a few years there. Kona has been on the upper end for a while now.

Was Ibis ever really out there with their pricing? Sure the carbon models are pricey, but when they started to launch their aluminum AF bikes, they were nicely priced, specced and hot. Then they started making that USA made XC bike, targeting amateur athletes, with a goal to get more people on them by offering a competitive product at a competitive price.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think you've missed a few years there. Kona has been on the upper end for a while now.

Was Ibis ever really out there with their pricing? Sure the carbon models are pricey, but when they started to launch their aluminum AF bikes, they were nicely priced, specced and hot. Then they started making that USA made XC bike, targeting amateur athletes, with a goal to get more people on them by offering a competitive product at a competitive price.
I know it has been for a while but do they really offer anything that warrants their pricing? Sure their bikes ride well but there is nothing really special about them and usually dentist prices require overly complicated solutions to simple prices to get old men hyped up about having the new gizmo on their bike.

Ibis was basically carbon only for a long time. Sure it was a while ago but it seems like 6-8 years ago some companies simply switched places. I'm also doing a typical old man rant here. Still I don't know what would make me pay 8k for a Kona on GX. WTF. Hell in PL Trek is Cheaper than Kona.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I know it has been for a while but do they really offer anything that warrants their pricing?
Do any bike brands?

Kona isn't the only brand that sells bikes for $5000 with GX level of equipment.

Devinci Spartan - GX drivetrain, Code R brakes - $7499CDN - https://www.devinci.com/en/bikes/mountain/spartan-carbon-gx-12s-blue-secret/
Norco Sight C2 - GX drivetrain - $7699CDN (on sale for $5799CDN) - https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/all-mountain/sight/2023-sight-c2-sram/
Rocky Mountain Altitude c70 - Fox X2 Performance and no name branded front hub - $9499CAD (on sale for $7599CAD) - https://ca.bikes.com/collections/altitude/products/altitude-c70-22-23
Transition Patrol Carbon - GX drivetrain - $8999 (on sale for $7699)(you could also splurge on the $5799 NX alloy bike) - https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Patrol.cfm

Then somehow Diamondback has this Release 5c carbon bike for sale at $3299.00 with Fox Performance Elite suspension and GX drivetrain. Sure some of the parts might be worthy of change and maybe the geometry isn't perfect, but seems like a steal compared to the rest.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Do any bike brands?

Kona isn't the only brand that sells bikes for $5000 with GX level of equipment.

Devinci Spartan - GX drivetrain, Code R brakes - $7499CDN - https://www.devinci.com/en/bikes/mountain/spartan-carbon-gx-12s-blue-secret/
Norco Sight C2 - GX drivetrain - $7699CDN (on sale for $5799CDN) - https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/all-mountain/sight/2023-sight-c2-sram/
Rocky Mountain Altitude c70 - Fox X2 Performance and no name branded front hub - $9499CAD (on sale for $7599CAD) - https://ca.bikes.com/collections/altitude/products/altitude-c70-22-23
Transition Patrol Carbon - GX drivetrain - $8999 (on sale for $7699)(you could also splurge on the $5799 NX alloy bike) - https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Patrol.cfm

Then somehow Diamondback has this Release 5c carbon bike for sale at $3299.00 with Fox Performance Elite suspension and GX drivetrain. Sure some of the parts might be worthy of change and maybe the geometry isn't perfect, but seems like a steal compared to the rest.
I Mean at least in terms of marketing those brands do more. Devinci has a high pivot and was trying at least for some time to position themselves more premium with going into carbon early even if now they don't have that advantage. Norco has some interesting bikes + now have to pay for Greggo. RM was always positioning themselves as a premium brand and Transition has a fuckton of hype behind them because they pushed many progressive ideas early.

Not saying any of those bikes should be priced that but those prices still make more sense than Kona which has no team, no stupid gizmos to drive marketing. They simply make solid, well riding bikes in horrible colors which traditionally meant they are the Skoda to everyones Audi.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Ok,so where are we at? In regards to how we will watch the upcoming season?

Man oh Man,let me ask you guys a question.

If Avy had the monies,and no amount of cost could stop me,could I take over?

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ok,so where are we at? In regards to how we will watch the upcoming season?
Unless there's a hooky streaming service showing the WCs again. For the first year in three decades there's a good chance I won't bother watching the races at all.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Unless there's a hooky streaming service showing the WCs again. For the first year in three decades there's a good chance I won't bother watching the races at all.
That upper-crust footage only change and then losing what had been DH Race Day normal access had me stop watching a couple years ago. If 30~ riders only make the 'format' for WC programming, have those whatever number spots be made available by other means - not just a pajama party for racers having cash. Have WC become a massive culmination of DH pre-qualifiers throughout a Season, ahead of each event.

There's plenty of open space, 7 Races? Really??

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
This worked pretty well for me this year. Fingers crossed it works next year too.

this. and for fuck's sake, i'll always watch dh, even if @jackalope keeps being lame and not providing proper previews anymore. speaking of, someone send that guy a fifth of purple drank or something, eh?

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
That upper-crust footage only change and then losing what had been DH Race Day normal access had me stop watching a couple years ago. If 30~ riders only make the 'format' for WC programming, have those whatever number spots be made available by other means - not just a pajama party for racers having cash. Have WC become a massive culmination of DH pre-qualifiers throughout a Season, ahead of each event.

There's plenty of open space, 7 Races? Really??
Yeah,I am really upset as well.

Is DH a larger market than XC? I think not. How will this effect XC?

Am I wrong in thinking that Pro CycleCross has no problems? Granted the Euro market is much larger,but it is still UCI.

How come we get fucked on this? Will this not destroy the XC as well?

Avy

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Yeah,I am really upset as well.

Is DH a larger market than XC? I think not. How will this effect XC?

Am I wrong in thinking that Pro CycleCross has no problems? Granted the Euro market is much larger,but it is still UCI.

How come we get fucked on this? Will this not destroy the XC as well?

Avy
DH vs XC & CX coverage would have to be a general audience appreciates XC and CX more, with XC becoming fairly aggro as of late even. Some top XC Bikes have 66° HT angles - the honored and revered Sunday had had 65° just 15 years ago.
DH is not any less worthy than other WC racing and coverage but, looks like slopestyle riding to those outside the industry. Wooden features are killing the purity of it.

I'm sorry still but RedBull commentating was atrocious to the ear. But at the same fucking time - bring in any Marv Albert wannabe commentator and it's then an overly disconnected spectacle. The vibe of having RBM then be granting time to RB affiliated riders was just off on a massive scale. I was just outside FreeCaster days but - that. That approach is what needs to be homebase Media coverage for everyone. But easier said than done nowdays.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Co
Commencal? Who else. Well
Santa Cruz arsed the Distro here, who where famous for gouging any brand they take on, and have dropped 2-3k instantly.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Brand new tallboy v4 cc frames sold with 52% discount at the German shops for not so long ago.
There are still some bronson, 5010 frames with large discounts available from komking.de or gocycle.de

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
they are made in germany, and i get them for less than maxxis

(can’t afford overpriced stuff with my low low swiss salary :( :( :( :( )
Just do it like the swiss and germans have always done.....take good tires from the people you either murder or complicitly participate in the murder of. You know. As is tradition in your new home country and the one they they tacitly stood by and let do their thing.

Which is it? Conti tires are awesome because I'm old and ride a dirtbike, or conti tires are your default because you can't afford anything else? You've claimed both.