Quantcast

2024 racing thread

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Don't forget: And they're 2WD. Like who buys a truck that's only 2wd? Texans.
I thought most trucks never leave the road anyway so why do the people need 4wd anyway?

I feel that he genuinely likes the bike, but the way he talks about Norco vs his previous experiences is clearly a middle finger at Santa Cruz. I’m not sure he loves the bike that much, and Santa Cruz obviously have a good engineering team too, so in my opinion I feel he is bitter about last year in the Syndicate.

it makes for an entertaining off season, adds a bit of fuel to the fire, and I’m sure he will be one to watch this year because I feel he’s going to want to make his point and be a fierce competitor.
Isn't Greg kinda known for complaining about his past bikes? Whenever he gets a new bike he often criticizes his old thing saying the new thing is 1000x better.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
snow

a vast system of socialized public lands where camping bike riding and fishing sit at the end of steep rocky dirt roads
Winter roads work well with 2wd unless you live in the mountains with steep roads that are not cleared properly.

Also the other part is defo not on road. I even know pickup owners in Poland who never use off road.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Winter roads work well with 2wd unless you live in the mountains with steep roads that are not cleared properly.

Also the other part is defo not on road. I even know pickup owners in Poland who never use off road.
Haha, that's funny.

Having never been there I can now safely assume;
Poland is flat, it doesn't snow very hard or often, there are only 2-3 roads so it's easy to keep them clear, dirt roads do not exist there.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Haha, that's funny.

Having never been there I can now safely assume;
Poland is flat, it doesn't snow very hard or often, there are only 2-3 roads so it's easy to keep them clear, dirt roads do not exist there.
"Doesnt snow very hard"... Global warming affected Poland so we get weaker winters but I remember getting with a 2WD to the mountains that had 2m snow walls on the side of the road. The snow seasons in the snow resorts was oct-april on relatively low elevations (<1000m), now it's shorter but generally Poland has an opinion of being a cold and snowy place. We don't get many dirt roads but our roads are narrow and actually have turns in them plus yes we do have mountains and still unless you live in a remote place in the mountains just get a 2WD and maybe chains for ski resort visits. Hell most places in the alps if you don't live in a super remote mountain hut don't require 4x4. The issue isn't the amount of snow but the quality of public services (which if they are better in Poland is a major failure).

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What's actually funny is the average American's assumptions concerning the rest of the world

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What's actually funny is the average American's assumptions concerning the rest of the world
Yeah it is funny the rest of Yurp thinks it snows here all the time when americans think I live in Ibiza when IRL I live in Chicago (probably explains all the poles there) with the only difference is the mountains are closer to me.

Also going back on topic - Both Brook and Danny going privateer in 2024? Or will they find a sponsor? They don't seem like the Intense siluetes they presented.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah it is funny the rest of Yurp thinks it snows here all the time when americans think I live in Ibiza when IRL I live in Chicago (probably explains all the poles there) with the only difference is the mountains are closer to me.

Also going back on topic - Both Brook and Danny going privateer in 2024? Or will they find a sponsor? They don't seem like the Intense siluetes they presented.
Also,Troy and Greenland?

Avy

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Did you guys watch the San Francisco SX race last night? Conditions were super gnarly.

If it's raining that hard there, hopefully we'll get another snow storm in a few days over here. We can use it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just watching the Minnaar Vital interview is it just his cam and the lighting or have "Just for men" and "Botox" hooked him up sponsorship deals this season too?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Did you guys watch the San Francisco SX race last night? Conditions were super gnarly.

If it's raining that hard there, hopefully we'll get another snow storm in a few days over here. We can use it.
Yes it was Brother. Actually,it could have been worse. It sure was Ugly.

Avy

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
??? Is this the new version of "The East Coast has bigger rocks" and it's now "America has the most snow". I mean come on. I've put on my first snow chain on tires when I was 10. Pretty sure we know what snow is here. On the other hand in US Half of the country gets paralyzed when anything resembling it appears though you miss my point. I get some people need 4x4s. I'm just saying fewer people than actually buy them given the sales numbers vs the fact that it's not like 90% of US lives in rural Montana. I get getting a 4x4 for non paved roads but even my dumb remote US family owns a pickup and I don't even think they know how an unpaved road looks like.

@Avy what about Troy and Laurie? Did their contracts end?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Might have been Kerr on TRC recently saying Danny might be close to a deal.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
nope, he just has no clue, as always
bitch shut the fuck up

This was last winter with the measuring location just a few miles from me

I was stepping DOWN onto my 15ft roof last year to shovel it.

I quoted him because the scenario he presented where 4wd is needed is exactly the scenario that happens here regularly. I never said shit about what happens anywhere else.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
??? Is this the new version of "The East Coast has bigger rocks" and it's now "America has the most snow". I mean come on. I've put on my first snow chain on tires when I was 10. Pretty sure we know what snow is here. On the other hand in US Half of the country gets paralyzed when anything resembling it appears though you miss my point.
Do you need to put words into my mouth to argue with them too? I expect it from neu bizutch because he's not that bright but not you. Did I say it doesn't snow in poland? I think the entire planet knows that it does.

I live where the donner party happened. A place where 12 ski areas are because guess what it does a lot of here.....

A place that normally looks like this because plow equipment can't keep up. IE exactly what you just said. "properly cleared" is something that millions of dollars of snow removal equipment sometimes can't stay on top of.

roads.JPG

I don't 'visit' it once roads are cleared. I live in it.

it's not like 90% of US lives in rural Montana.
No some of us live where it actually snows a lot

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Do you need to put words into my mouth to argue with them too? I expect it from neu bizutch because he's not that bright but not you. Did I say it doesn't snow in poland? I think the entire planet knows that it does.

I live where the donner party happened. A place where 12 ski areas are because guess what it does a lot of here.....

A place that normally looks like this because plow equipment can't keep up. IE exactly what you just said. "properly cleared" is something that millions of dollars of snow removal equipment sometimes can't stay on top of.

View attachment 206366

I don't 'visit' it once roads are cleared. I live in it.

No some of us live where it actually snows a lot

all you do is complain about it...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

all you do is complain about it...
it's not all I do

I moved here for it

last year was 'special'

my house flooded and no one could get here to help me deal with it, I couldn't get to hardware stores, my dog went blind, people were stealing gas out of my vehicles because none of the gas stations could get tanks filled, and I made a decision to not put up with bullshit from urban assholes mansplaining what it's really™ like where I live :D

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
??? Is this the new version of "The East Coast has bigger rocks" and it's now "America has the most snow". I mean come on. I've put on my first snow chain on tires when I was 10. Pretty sure we know what snow is here. On the other hand in US Half of the country gets paralyzed when anything resembling it appears though you miss my point. I get some people need 4x4s. I'm just saying fewer people than actually buy them given the sales numbers vs the fact that it's not like 90% of US lives in rural Montana. I get getting a 4x4 for non paved roads but even my dumb remote US family owns a pickup and I don't even think they know how an unpaved road looks like.
So where I live, which is actually more tame than the Donner Pass that Kidwoo lives. You still *should* have a 4x. If, for nothing else, more stable traction in corners and ability to keep traction in straight lines on snow/ice. We have a gazillion freeze/thaw cycles. Which means that traction filled packed powder melts, then refreezes and then what? black ice. Yes, you can get by in a 2x pickup, but you better have proper tires, a full tank of gas, and something in the back like sand bags, to help get you traction.

Otherwise, the little 2wd that could, is gonna be the guy who fishtails his way up the hill on black ice and ends up in the median/gulley causing an accident so now everyone (who is prepared with a proper vehicle) has to wait cuz 2wd dumb ass wasn't.

I've been in a 4x Range Rover filled with 6 dudes on the way to skiing. And still almost got stuck due to icy conditions. You never know what the weather is gonna do. I'd never risk it due to cutting financial corners thinking I don't need the proper vehicle. It's almost like not having the right tool for the job. Life's too short.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
bitch shut the fuck up

This was last winter with the measuring location just a few miles from me

I was stepping DOWN onto my 15ft roof last year to shovel it.

I quoted him because the scenario he presented where 4wd is needed is exactly the scenario that happens here regularly. I never said shit about what happens anywhere else.
i just answered norbars question (read the thread!). it’s not always about you…

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So where I live, which is actually more tame than the Donner Pass that Kidwoo lives. You still *should* have a 4x. If, for nothing else, more stable traction in corners and ability to keep traction in straight lines on snow/ice. We have a gazillion freeze/thaw cycles. Which means that traction filled packed powder melts, then refreezes and then what? black ice. Yes, you can get by in a 2x pickup, but you better have proper tires, a full tank of gas, and something in the back like sand bags, to help get you traction.

Otherwise, the little 2wd that could, is gonna be the guy who fishtails his way up the hill on black ice and ends up in the median/gulley causing an accident so now everyone (who is prepared with a proper vehicle) has to wait cuz 2wd dumb ass wasn't.

I've been in a 4x Range Rover filled with 6 dudes on the way to skiing. And still almost got stuck due to icy conditions. You never know what the weather is gonna do. I'd never risk it due to cutting financial corners thinking I don't need the proper vehicle. It's almost like not having the right tool for the job. Life's too short.
Mericun trucks need 4WD because a 4door short bed with one driver and no payload has terrible weight distribution. Most other vehicles need good tires.