Quantcast

2024 Trek Slash HP...impressed

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Don't be too hard on yourselves if you've fallen for the marketingz and bought one.
Seen idiots with them fitted to their Emtbs.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Only place I've noticed the benefits of an oval ring are on my fatbike, searching for traction going up a steep slippery snow covered slope. It slightly smooths out the power delivery so you don't break traction. Could be placebo, but I don't care, if I make it up that climb and my buddy didn't, then it was worth the no difference in price.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nicely nigh on impossible to compare grip given the changeable nature of snow as a riding surface.
You should definitely sell that angle to oval ring marketeers. :boss:

Any Fatbikers I know who enjoy super low grip technical cimbing (Many call it "crawling" as they're not just riding snow but also stuff like wet coastal rocks and sand) are coincidentally also the only keen mountainbikers left I know of still running a double ring and front mech with a 22t granny ring for super low ratios. It's the one mtb where going 1X is usually a performance downgrade.
A double chainset makes a lot more sense for bikepacking too but the fashion parade they call "gravel" put paid to any sensibility there.

Ultimately. Do what you want really. It's poorer chain retention from narrow wide teeth on oval rings that's my biggest gripe with them on mtbs

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ADVANTAGES OF OUR SPECIAL DIRECT MOUNT NARROW WIDE CHAINRINGS:
*Finest design to provide excellent weight to strength ratio
*One of a kind special oval shape (Patent Pending)
*Greatly improves traction and climbing abilities
*Unique Patent Pending alternate wide and narrow teeth profiles to keep your chain in place for minimum 12 months!
*Special 3D teeth machining for ultimate mud relief decrease wear and noise dramatically
*They save weight because they don't need the spider and chainring bolts.
*The ability of installation of a smaller ring sizes that can't be mounted on regular spider.
*Superb quality and great look.
*You will ride faster using ovals. If you keep using round ring then others will get quicker.
*You will not "feel" the oval shape at all
*Reduces stress on knees
*We mastered our oval chainrings to perfection, so you can get best possible advantage from the oval/elliptical shape

At absoluteBLACK we have one major objective – to improve cyclists’ performance through increasing their mechanical and metabolic efficiency during pedalling. We specialize in drivetrain performance by optimizing the chainring shape, reducing chain friction and improving the bicycle-rider contact points. With our own scientific research lab and close collaboration with research institutions Worldwide, we design all our products based on objective scientific data. This separates our approach in bike component design to our competitors.
absoluteblack-science-laboratory-bike-fitting4.jpeg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well I guess it's official now that pinkbike has had a take at trek slash lol.(yes I'm being a smart ass and slighlty condescending). Chain came off, turns out they were shipping with a 5mm spacer behind lower guide versus a 7mm it was supposed to be..
Hmmm, took my 68/73 did a 0mm offset and spaced out the crank to a 54.5 or so, I looked at line slightly bent my lower cog in a smidge and using a GX der ..)didn't want to buy new cranks, so partly cause I was being cheap too.

No chain loss yet, 1 rim down ...I think I addressed this when I did my own 55mm line and did what any person with common sense would do when building a bike or having thrown a chain
LOOK at chain line...2mm off is pretty damn obvious ...

I don't care who builds my stuff, I'm going through it anyways...partly cause I'll strip it down and do a complete build to my go tos...but even if I didn't I trust me , it's my ASS on the line ...so I'll go over it and make sure, as well as a shake down run to settle in any areas that need to settle and retighten..

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So if your at speed the bike rips, if you want to hit airbags and have to pedal in jump slow, the bike will suck the life out of the lip.. it's doable and we finally started to move bags back but without a downhill run in...no Bueno..keep it within 10 feet...we just goofed off more than anything and I wanted my youngest boy to get some time on an airbag.. so I took the slash to see if it would rob the life out of the lip and it did ..

But it's exactly what you expect, pedals decent and will hammer downhill and nasty terrain...corners really well, stable .

.NO I HAVENT THROWN A CHAIN..I'm still waiting.
Screenshot_20231112_203000_Messenger.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Update on slash. No chains thrown

Took it and rode a long nasty section last night , super long , rutted, tons of doll heads, rocks and high speed chatter, rock rollers and some mid size drops...(yes a night ride and lights a blazing)

Never rode this area...so it was alot of excitement lol...

Felt it walking all over in back end, wasn't able to get any control of it, it chatter walked all over and braking wasn't going to happen in or out of ruts and corners..
Bike killed it, however the damping on rebound is getting tuned next week. Opening up rebound a bit...it packed up (BAD) , went down a chute and some nasty shit, burped/blew rear tire ...dented the rim (first ride on new wheels) bent derailure, still didn't throw a chain.
Managed to hold position down the whole damn thing after...

.But ohlins ttx22m are better suited with a R35 stack on a rearward high pivot type set up..
. Ordered the shims and will be here next week after holiday.

Man it packed up BAD..can't say I've ever ridden a hard tail with 170mm of rear travel..

It did handle drops and hard impacts amazing, but that rebound stack needs to die...

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
.But ohlins ttx22m are better suited with a R35 stack on a rearward high pivot type set up..
. Ordered the shims and will be here next week after holiday.
I’ve got a DHC70 R20 on my favorite Ö shocks. I’m liking the faster rebound and firmer compression. These are with a 500 or 525 spring.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I’ve got a DHC70 R20 on my favorite Ö shocks. I’m liking the faster rebound and firmer compression. These are with a 500 or 525 spring.
Man B it was all over lol...I stayed light on pedals and grips let it walk and was walking all over and forget about a clean line. When tire went and back end swung into parallel rut it got wild lol.. guy behind me saw it go, said no idea how it was saved...easy I hate hitting the ground, especially that crap .

So chatted with Jake and hes the one who said R35...I was going to pull a shim on or add a small face shim...he was on it and sending them on Monday...

C40 R20 is supposed to be stock from what I can gather. Tried to look for my build receipt... compression is pretty spot on..

Screenshot_20231122_230022_Samsung Notes.jpg

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
so...are you still impressed? sounds like a lot of work and special shocks and tuning to remain impressed. liked my nomad out the box with stock shit. tuning only made it better. that's impressive...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
so...are you still impressed? sounds like a lot of work and special shocks and tuning to remain impressed. liked my nomad out the box with stock shit. tuning only made it better. that's impressive...
Yeah I am.
it hammered everything well except the chatter..I don't mind tuning it...based on how composed it was even with chaos happening..yeah I like it, enough I sold my nomad.

With that said when I get ready to swap it'll probably be a V6 nomad...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Yeah I am.
it hammered everything well except the chatter..I don't mind tuning it...based on how composed it was even with chaos happening..yeah I like it, enough I sold my nomad.

With that said when I get ready to swap it'll probably be a V6 nomad...
i hear ya. tuning out the chatter and matching the composure front and back has been my biggest challenge. but my nomad is a v4 so also now probably considered old skool. hahaha....i'll still send it down whatever.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i hear ya. tuning out the chatter and matching the composure front and back has been my biggest challenge. but my nomad is a v4 so also now probably considered old skool. hahaha....i'll still send it down whatever.
Wished mine was that color not the tan...
Yeah I had the v4 as well and loved it . I built the slash up and had both sitting here.. till I got some time on slash.
Love that bike and same here...I ran everything over on mine as well...i needed a bigger frame was the one of the reasons I sold it the other was the slash rode DH style a bit better and handled bigger hits ..
I keep eyeing the used market looking for a xl good deal...not in a huge hurry but Id even do a v4 again...loved that bike..

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
To be fair the bike comes with a shock that is tuned to work with the bike hahaha @bullcrew just can't leave stuff alone it seems ;)

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Trek has a service bulletin for people with chain retention issues.

Quoted from another source...

7mm of lower guide spacing for Transmission drivetrain (which we already knew), 6mm of spacing for bikes equipped with UDH (Non Transmission).

Directly from the bulletin:

An updated upper idler pulley with longer teeth will be available in early 2024. The updated idler will provide even more assurance to the most aggressive riders. When available, the updated idlers will automatically be sent free of
charge to Trek retailers.