Quantcast

203mm travis lower than a Boxxer WC?

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
i just swapped out my 06 Boxxer WC to try a freshly tuned travis (also 06) and realized that a travis can be setup lower than a boxxer, which really surprised me.

boxxer sits at an axle to crown of approx 570mm or approx 22 and3/8 inches, which appears to be pretty much the lowest possible setting without reducing travel.

since the travis lowers/internals start slightly below the axle, the lowers are at least 12mm lower than the boxxers. with 208mm of exposed stanction and flipping the upper crown upsidedown, it's possible to run a lower axle to crown with a travis, all +12mm worth

will all the zero stack 1.5s, zero/low rise bars, etc. - quest for lowest possible front end, you'd think sram would make their race fork as low as possible. must be other drawbacks to having the axle above the bottom of the lowers?

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
that's a really good point, i'm an idiot.
i'll pull the spring to check. unlikely that it will clear my frame slammed down like this though. u just probably saved me from a world of hurt... what a stupid oversight... i'll check tonight

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
It should be about the same. If you set it up any lower, the arch actually hit the lower crown even if it clears your downtube. When I had mine I thought that it was lower until I heard metal to metal contact when I bottomed out the fork.

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
pulled the spring and turns out the reverse arch clears with a 570mm or 22 and 3/8 inch axle to crown - same as boxxer WC.

the arch would hit the lower crown first (posernewbie - u no your sh*t) but i've got approx 5mm clearance at 570mm

travis gets a full 203mm travel and could be lowered a few mm before it hits the lower crown. could also lower boxxer a few mm down to 205mm exposed stanction. its a wash

Conclusion - travis cannot be setup any lower than a boxxer from axle to crown. if they changed that reverse arch design however, there is 20mm left on the stanctions to lower it.