Quantcast

20mm Boost Hubs with One Piece Axles.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I think I have asked something similar but my memory sucks and threads are easy to delete.

I would like to purchase a 20mm boost hub with a one piece axle and bearing preload adjustment instead of the more common style using end caps, a spacer tube and deep groove bearings.
I think Hadley and Chris King are both made this way, I currently have a 20mm Syntace non boost hub and it is almost made this way but put a all the load from the hub on two short end caps.
Cost and weight is not really of concern.

Cheers.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think Hadley is the best front hub though.
most durable, if nothing else. i've been running one since 2002. dh, trail, etc. i think i've serviced it only 2 or 3 times, and even then once i got it apart nothing was wrong. not the lightest that's for sure. but hot damn has it been an excellent hub.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
You're correct about Hadley.

Side Note- My DT Swiss is 12 years old now. The bearings were replaced in 2015, just because. But I hate removing the front wheel cause the sleeve between the two bearings falls down. You need 2 tools to get the axle in then.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Aren't the only 20mm boost hubs/forks that super duper booster width or some shit?
Axle itself is the same, the hub flanges are just spaced wider, and the brake mount is moved out 5mm to accommodate. So you just need a 5mm rotor spacer to make an old hub work on a 20mm boost fork.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Axle itself is the same, the hub flanges are just spaced wider, and the brake mount is moved out 5mm to accommodate. So you just need a 5mm rotor spacer to make an old hub work on a 20mm boost fork.
He knows this, do you not know the woo?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
He's just reminding me of the stupid. When things annoy me I compartmentalize them in the kill kill kill part of my brain. I call that part the sram cortex.
I just spent two hours trying not to talk to a ski shop bro while trying on boots. Fuck my stupid ass feet that don't fit anything. Currently trying to drown that part of my brain in Mitcher's Rye.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hadley it is then, I was going to go Hadley for the rear over CK as they are a bit more simple. I need a Ti freehub body as I usually run cheaper cassettes due to poorness and I don't really look after stuff all that well so there's no point in getting good ones.
My current cassette body is pretty chewed up after 18 months, my Hadley after 10years was in great shape and ran the cheapest 8speed cassettes for most of its life.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
What pisses me off about hope is that they make a sick 20mm 32h straight pull front hub, they make a 32h straight pull rear hub, but guess what... Not im 150 or 157....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Meh they look too hard to clean and straight pull spokes are a pain to get locally.

I did look at Hope hubs when I spec'd my last wheel build, howeve the Syntace hubs I went with were something like 20% lighter and had adjustable preload. I also still hold a grudge as I hated every Hope part I had ~10yrs ago, snapped axles, noisy shitty brakes that were dry weather only items, for me anyway.